Dash - instruments-dash pad-removal ???

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2010, 09:58 AM

Dash - instruments-dash pad-removal ???

As I stated in my welcome forum, I am trying to get some electrical monsters out of a 69 Cutlass S convert.

I have narrowed this particular issue to the dash lighting wire.
(dash lights stay on with car off/lights off----park and taillights on very dim)

Having difficulty getting to the instruments so I can work on this with my 'over 40 eyesight'

Anyone got a plan of attak to get the dash pad off and the pods out???

The wiring on this thing is a hack job, and this is a car that belongs to a customer of the body shop where my 59 & 66 Elkys get worked on.

Helping these guys out (along with the occaisional 12-pak) is a great way to lower my labor rates on the 66 and also allows me to keep that car there 'till I get it assembled.

Have got thru the top, horn, signal and taillight issues (rear harnes was cut up into 4 pieces and I ended up making a new one), but getting to the dash lighting stuff is not proving to be as simple as any other car I have worked on.
This car was originally a floor shifted manual trans (4-spd??) and for some weird reason it now has an automatic. clutch pushrod, and frame brackets are still there---tunnel hump is still there---only the 4-spd brake pedal remains. After a year of filling in between regular work, the car is now a great looking car---new top and interior as well----just the electrical critters remain.
(and if anyone can point me to a passenger side quaarter belt moulding it would be appreciated----this is the only piece missing that I know of.

BTW---despite having Chev trucks and ElCaminos-----I have been the proud owner of a 73 Cutlass Supreme 2 dr (ex wife got away with that)
and a 65 Dynamic 88 2dr (also a caualty of a failed marriage in an indirect manner.

Last edited by Bryan59EC; June 3rd, 2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:03 AM

hi - common denominator seems to be the headlight switch. I would start there and try to get your hands on a 69 wiring diagram (may be similar other years but I am no expert)

you may also want to search on headlights here

and search for wiring diagrams here

Last edited by jeffreyalman; June 3rd, 2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:36 AM

Ahhhhh-----I guess I neglected to mention

The lights are still on even with the headlight switch out of the car and in my hand

there is a full 12vdc at the dash light fuse holder with the fuse out.
this is on the side between the dash lights and the fusebox.
(should be nothing here with the lights off)
Wiriing from the switch to the fusebox is good with no shorts to ground.

definite leak between the dash lights and the battery buss in the fusebox, or to something in the instruments.

only thing between the dash lights and the fuse----wire----but need to check the connectors anyway, just to be sure.