What's the best mod you've done?

Old December 6th, 2006, 12:34 PM

What's the best mod you've done?

Just wondering what modifications you all have done to your cars that added to the driveability, power, or fun.. Stereo? Headers? Performance carb? New seats? I'm sure many of you like to keep your cars as stock as possible, and that's cool but even you guys must've done something that really improved it.

I want responses from everyone!
Old December 6th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Past Administrator

I had lots of fun with my last project, a '69 Delta 88, that car has beautiful lines, especially the back quarters and tail lights. Anyway, it was lightly accessoried originally and I stripped it all down, took out the power steering, air conditioning, side trim, fulll wheel covers, removed column shift for a floor shift, etc. And finished it like a pony car, real plain jane which Olds never did on the Delta. After rebuilding the 455 and fabricating a true dual exhast (couldn't get headers) it was a real sleeper and very fun! Ran big tall tires blackwall out with dog dish caps and trim rings. A real sleeper....

I still have it but the engine is getting tired and it burns oil. I was thinking about selling it someday but hate to let a kid have it with all the trouble it would cause.
Old December 6th, 2006, 02:25 PM

Damn, sounds nice. Got any pics of it?
Old December 7th, 2006, 04:59 AM
Past Administrator

I'll try to add some to my picture folder, head on over there. I think I have some old ones with the SSII wheels on it. The bolt pattern wasn't the same so I had to use adapter from transdapt. That lasted about a month and I got skittish about using them, heard stories of wheels falling off so I took them off. Anyhow, check my folder, I am going over there right after I finish this to add them if I have them on this computer. BTW, think I will move this thread to OTHER to get more visibility.....

well, could only find one picture and it was already there. anyway and I can't figure out how to put that picture here or link it

(i feel so dumb)
Old December 8th, 2006, 12:29 AM

Wow man, you asked a earfull from me

For pics, take a look at my cardomain links in my sig. I also have some Alero pics in the gallery. See the car in person at homecomming in Lansing, in June

I'll start with the Delta

1985 Delta 88 2 door:

Yellow Top Optima battery
K&N filter
K&N 'Xtreme' air cleaner top
Plastic chome plated intake tubes
3.42 open rear end
Guage pod with A/F ratio and water temp (Autometer Carbon Fiber series)
3 1/4 inch tach
X pipe dual exhaust with Super 40's
Be Cool radiator
Flex-a-lite stainless fan (replacing soon with electric)
Silverstar high beams
Black calipers and drums

2000 Alero GLS coupe

RSM Racing Ported and polished Upper Manifold
RSM Racing Ported and polished Lower Manifold
RSM Racing 62mm Throttle body
Dr Speed Cold air intake (converted to WAI for street use)
ACDelco Rapid fires
Accel Xterme 9000 8mm wires
180 degree thromostat
S&S Headers
RSM Racing lightened crank pulley
Lightened Water pump pulley
Lightened Alt Pulley
SLP Cat Back Exhaust (Grand Am Style)
Casper High speed fan switch
DHP PCM Version 1.0
Optima Red Top Battery
Timing advanced 3 degree above TDC
Powerslot II rotors in front
Powerslot I rotors in rear
Red Calipers all around
Real Racing Grille (not gutter mesh from Home Depot)
Kazera KZ-R Wheels (only weigh 18 lbs a piece)
-Now with oldsmobile center caps
Eibach lowering springs
Speedbuilt tower braces (red in front black in rear)
A-Pillar Guage pod with Faze white face gauges
Volts, A/F, EGT, & Tranny Gauge
White face guages with red indo-glo needles
Real Carbon Fiber Dash trim
OSV fender bagdes
Silver star headlights and T/S bulbs

Old December 8th, 2006, 04:57 AM
Past Administrator

redog, how much improvement on flow with the porting of the upper and lower manifolds and enlarging the throttle body? It is good to know you can get performance stuff for the newer engines.

And I forgot about the electric fan bit on my Delta. It works well if you make sure to use a shroud to channel that air flow.
Old December 8th, 2006, 05:17 AM

Mods

I put manual steering on my 85 cutlass. I also put the big body style brakes on it and put 17 inch chevy rallyes on it. I left the v6 spings in the front and put a big block in it. It really has a mean stance.
Old December 15th, 2006, 09:57 PM

Hmmm, made a couple improvments to my 1967 Olds 98, It weighs 4680#, The engine was in my G-body race car, I freshined it but changed the cam for more lower end and to a Preformer instead of the Torquer. In the "race" car it went 11:47@117. This engine is now in the "98." The best rear-end I could find was a 3:08 posi, it has a switch-pitch trans, dual exhaust with 2 1/2 pipes, torque tube. The car's nick-name is Money-maker, 4 times raced, 4 times money Never 1st place but runner-up twice, 2 third place $. Three years ago it took 3rd place $ at Dick Miller Olds meet at Norwalk. Drive in, runs 14:18@100, drive home. I would love to run a newer Corvette from a 100 MPH roll out. With that 3:08 gear she is just really starting to pull at 100 MPH. Timmeplus6798004.jpg
Old December 15th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

I've done a lot of mods to make the Cutlass "mine", but I think replacing the wimpy externally regulated 45 amp alternator with a 105 amp CS-130. No more flickering halogens at stop signs and I can now run LS-1 electric fans with no problem.

Or maybe the external coil HEI.

C.J.
Old December 16th, 2006, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
redog, how much improvement on flow with the porting of the upper and lower manifolds and enlarging the throttle body? It is good to know you can get performance stuff for the newer engines.

And I forgot about the electric fan bit on my Delta. It works well if you make sure to use a shroud to channel that air flow.
The manifolds alone did very little but once I put on the headers it did wonders. I know guys with just the P&P and TB and I'm faster in the 1/4 mile than them. The car went from 15.5 to 15.08 in one run after the headers. Simple bolt on they boast about a .2 to .3 gain

With the Delta's electric fan. Would it be better to mod the current shroud? I was thinking that would probably be the best bet, but do I need a pusher or a puller and about how much CFM rated fan should I get?