Loose Steering Column

Old November 24th, 2006, 08:14 PM

Loose Steering Column

I have a faithful Oldsmobile Cutlass that is less than a thousand mile short of 300.000 miles which I have held as a mental milestone for several years. It has been a very reliable car and I am loathe to part with it but it has developed a shockingly loose steering column that can be moved up and down or side to side to such a considerable degree that it is cause for alarm. The bright/dimmer switch no longer wants to work and the key is becoming difficult to remove or to activate the accessory position, because clearly things inside the column aren't in proper alignment. Before I tear into it I wonder if anyone can tell me what to expect. Is there some sort of bearing in there that is long gone, allowing the steering shaft to go where it should not? What's going on in there?
Old November 25th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Past Administrator

I think you are right, there are bushings, probably two of them, one low and one high but I have never personally disassembled a steering column to that degree. Here's hoping someone here are ClassicOlds has and can help. Good luck.
Old November 25th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Check this out: http://elcaminocentral.com/article95.html

Don't forget to use Loc-Tite on the bolts.

C.J.
Old November 25th, 2006, 08:19 PM

Thumbs up Steering column repair

Before you dismantle :Rember that this feature is as Important as the engine,> Not really a big job with right tools !--Wheel puller -Lock ring compressor-Pivot pin puller .Snap ring plyers-Torx socket ,For columns with tilt . Dissconect T/S plug ,Dissmantle 1 piece at a time placeing all parts in order, remove tilt spring with it in up position ,remove Lock cyl (mark your timing ) Ign on Almost forgot( Dissconect battery ! )Remove pivot pins with tilt in the up posisition ,Rremove all 4 bolts 1 at a time clean & replace with Locktite & Re torque bolts ..Then put it all back togather, Not hard just time consuming