daily driver

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2006, 08:29 AM

daily driver

i am new to this forum and am hoping to get a little insight into classic cars. i am 38 years old and remember my dad's 65 olds 98 luxury sedan like it was yesterday even though it hasnt been around for about 20 years now...
i have always loved the late 60's - early 70's cutlass and am thinking of getting one to use as a daily driver for commuting about 60 miles a day (30 each way) to work. i live in suffolk county and work in nassau county - long island, new york.
do any members use thier classics for daily drivers and what is their experience doing so? i have been talking to some folks that have had these type cars in the past as well as current owners and (mostly) their opinion is that i should not do the commute with a car from another era on the same roads with todays cars and sharing the same space in the race to the office and back, especially in foul weather, on a daily basis. what do you guys think?
they are mainly concerned about general performance, handling and braking deficiencies of a 35 - 40 year old machine in comparison to anything recent, regardless of how it makes me feel and how cool it is.
i do fully expect to update the suspension, tires and brakes as best as possible to accomodate daily use on roads that traffic average speeds are roughly 70 mph.

-confused-

carmelo
Old November 19th, 2006, 08:47 AM

sounds like a good idea but all the opinions you receved are true if you put all that money in to fixing it up . what are you going to do in the winter time .i live in webster n,y and they use SALT on the roads in the winter time . i have a 69 cutlass-s conv never been in the rain and is garaged from nov-april. good luck on the you decide. tim
Old November 20th, 2006, 05:54 AM
Past Administrator

I drove a '69 Delta 88 daily for about five years and we have harsh winters in Kansas City with ice and snow on the roads. At times I was very scared because the big Delta just does not have good traction in those conditions, even with all season radials. A cutlass does not weigh as much so it would not be quite as bad. I would recommend a front disc brake conversion and new front end bushings on the tie rods and connnection rods and new A-arm bushings with new shocks. And finally, if your state allows it, studded snow tires or at least regular snow tires on the rear. I drove a '76 Omega for two winters and the second winter put snow tires on, it made a huge difference. It is all about traction in the winter. Do it!
Old November 20th, 2006, 06:25 PM

It would be OK I guess.

I drive my Delta to work about twice a week, and once on the weekends (depends on where I go) I have yet to upgrade the suspension, brakes, and wheels. The guy that owned the car before my put 14" Olds ralley wheels on it, the car shakes bad over 75, but I usually only go 70 on the highway anyway. These wheels are too small, plus the car has that big car bounce in the front, but the springs and shocks will get done soon enough (putting Eibachs on it)

I also put "Classic" plates on the car about 2 months ago. In PA we have Classic and Antique. Antique is more strict than Classic, but I intend on dropping in a pre 1975 motor and it will no longer be emissions legal, but now it's exempt. However, a Classic or Antique cannot be used as daliy transportation.

In short, I don't think you'll reall have to upgrade the brakes (unless to want ABS) but I would def do suspenion and wider wheels. If you do a 70's car, a set of Crager SS or American racing Torq Thurst would look sweet!