Replacement radiator core supplier

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2019, 03:49 PM

Replacement radiator core supplier

Does anyone know who sells replacement radiator cores? not the whole radiator just the core between the radiator tanks. I know some are custom made which is very pricey. Where do the radiator shops get replacement cores if needed?
Old February 6th, 2019, 04:19 PM

Many years ago I had my original 3 row core replaced with a high efficiency 4 row core. The core was made by Craig Manufacturing. If you want the part number I'll have to look it up when I get to the house this evening.
Old February 6th, 2019, 04:22 PM

They do make radiator cores and its priced by the square inch........and its pricey. You might be able to Google a place, but a good radiator shop will likely need to do the work. They can pressure test it and also repair leaks in the tank. It will fit right back in the same spot it came from when you're done. I had it done to my 1964 Olds Starfire. While its pricey, it also lasted over 50 years. Would I do it again to another car ? Absolutely. If I remember, it cost me about $450.
.........Just my two cents worth.
Old February 6th, 2019, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Many years ago I had my original 3 row core replaced with a high efficiency 4 row core. The core was made by Craig Manufacturing. If you want the part number I'll have to look it up when I get to the house this evening.
Thx, Im not familiar with Craig manufacturing but I will do a search and I would be looking for a 4-core replacement. Are they still around? This seems to me to be a standard size but maybe not with all the rads and different sizes since 1970.
Old February 6th, 2019, 06:12 PM
Hookers under Hood

Modine Radiators were the biggest here in Canada for Copper Core rads. You can look them up and see if they have distribution in the U.S.A
'Hope this helps

Eric
Old February 6th, 2019, 06:52 PM

Modine here too but I never bought a core just complete radiator.
Old February 6th, 2019, 08:34 PM
Hookers under Hood

They still manufacture the copper cores as well, most come with open header ends now. Similar to all the old tractor core rads. So some sizes need to be cut on all 4 ends, bent over to solder the end tanks.
I have done a few of them over the years.
Old February 6th, 2019, 09:20 PM

I had mine re-cored but I had to purchase the new side rails 9WHich are actually the tops and bottom) Got those from a Chevy repo place in NY I believe and reused my correct tanks. Looks great.
Old February 7th, 2019, 04:23 AM

Thanks for the info guys, but I am still looking for a name of a supplier I could call or look at their website.
Old February 7th, 2019, 05:18 AM

I had my 71 Cutlass rad re-cored last year at a local shop here in Nova Scotia. They measured to the exact inch and ordered the core from a company in Quebec, and I think it was Spectra, the company that does the gas tanks and heater cores etc. for most cars including our Oldsmobiles. The local company removed small dents from my original tanks and soldered a small leak while attaching the 3 row high efficiency core and it was $600 Cdn., about $450 US, a very pricey job. I can't complain too much as it looks beautiful and cools the car much better. Spectra supplies the US market but I don't know if they are strictly a manufacturer/wholesaler.
Old February 7th, 2019, 06:50 AM

Thanks, I'll check it out