Best car cover?

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2018, 07:25 AM

Best car cover?

Hey all! With winter approaching it will soon be time to put my Cutlass away for the season. I'm in the hunt for a good car cover that will protect it from the elements. I have one now and while it does a good job, it's not 100% waterproof/water resistant. Can anyone offer some suggestions based on personal experience?

Thanks,
Dave
Old October 16th, 2018, 08:34 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have always been pleased with Covercraft. They are not the cheapest but I think you get what you pay for. They have different covers for indoors to keep dust out and for outdoors. California Car Cover is another popular cover.
Old November 2nd, 2018, 10:52 AM

I got mine from Carcovers.com? It seems good so far.. water proof, antenna hole and has a lock down on the bottom of it.
Old November 2nd, 2018, 01:24 PM
72 Olds CS

The best car cover is a garage !!!

i keep one of my cars at a nearby vehicle storage place its dry and secure for $70/mo much better than leaving it outside
Old November 2nd, 2018, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger

i keep one of my cars at a nearby vehicle storage place its dry and secure for $70/mo much better than leaving it outside
Question...do you have a problem with critters when you put it in storage?
Old November 2nd, 2018, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger

Totally agree! I cover it in the garage... haha. Overkill maybe but it brings me comfort!
Old November 2nd, 2018, 03:08 PM
Gary

Originally Posted by andrew francis
i got mine from carcovers.com? It seems good so far.. Water proof, antenna hole and has a lock down on the bottom of it.
x2
Old November 2nd, 2018, 05:10 PM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by 72455
Question...do you have a problem with critters when you put it in storage?
LOL friggen mice ruin everything, i just sold a travel trailer it was a constant battle to keep mice out, A prospective buyer noting my mouse repellent efforts and commented she had them in her car after parking it overnight.

One car is stored at a place that uses rodent poison (not my first choice, but having rodents in my car is my last choice) the other is at my house i dont get rodents in my garage, but i have three sheds where i get several mice a week (at this time of year) w snap traps and pnut butter.

Its my own fault i have snowmobiles and (used to have) a travel trailer apparently either of these attracts mice from miles around

so in short i dont have the problems w them because im constantly defending against them.
Old November 25th, 2018, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew Francis
I got mine from Carcovers.com? It seems good so far.. water proof, antenna hole and has a lock down on the bottom of it.
Hey Andrew would you mind giving me more info? What car are you using it on, what cover did you buy, and how well does it stand up to rain and snow?

Thanks,
Dave
Old November 26th, 2018, 08:09 AM

Hey Andrew would you mind giving me more info? What car are you using it on, what cover did you buy, and how well does it stand up to rain and snow?

Thanks,
Dave
Dave, Im using my cover on a 69 442 Sports coupe. The fit is very good.. the cover has bands on the front and rear that hug under the car. The locking cable goes from door to door. The antenna patch needs to be sewed on but you dont need to be Betsy Ross to get it on.. it was very easy to install. The inside of the cover is a very soft material as well so its easy on the paint. As far as the weather goes I only had it in the rain once and it kept the inside very dry from what I could tell.

https://www.carcovers.com/covers/car.../442/1969.html

This is the one I got. It is their more expensive one and I think there is a model or two under that still have the weather protection.
Hope this helps.
Old November 26th, 2018, 08:37 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I watched the video. Overall nice cover but their attempt at 'security' is a joke. Anyone with a pair of scissors or a knife could cut the cord that goes under the car and locks to the other side. Other than that it seems pretty reasonable for an outside cover.

You're still planning to use this car as a weekly driver aren't you Dave??
Old November 26th, 2018, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
I watched the video. Overall nice cover but their attempt at 'security' is a joke. Anyone with a pair of scissors or a knife could cut the cord that goes under the car and locks to the other side. Other than that it seems pretty reasonable for an outside cover.

Haha without a doubt.. I would say that cable is more useful for keeping the cover attached to the car in high winds than a would be burglar.
Old November 26th, 2018, 10:31 AM

Yup...at least once a week if not more often. Why do you ask Allan?

Old November 26th, 2018, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew Francis
Dave, Im using my cover on a 69 442 Sports coupe. The fit is very good.. the cover has bands on the front and rear that hug under the car. The locking cable goes from door to door. The antenna patch needs to be sewed on but you dont need to be Betsy Ross to get it on.. it was very easy to install. The inside of the cover is a very soft material as well so its easy on the paint. As far as the weather goes I only had it in the rain once and it kept the inside very dry from what I could tell.

https://www.carcovers.com/covers/car.../442/1969.html

This is the one I got. It is their more expensive one and I think there is a model or two under that still have the weather protection.
Hope this helps.
How is the breathability?
Old November 26th, 2018, 11:57 AM
68 Convertible Cutlass S

Hey all! With winter approaching it will soon be time to put my Cutlass away for the season. I'm in the hunt for a good car cover that will protect it from the elements. I have one now and while it does a good job, it's not 100% waterproof/water resistant. Can anyone offer some suggestions based on personal experience?

Thanks,
Dave
Whatever you do DO NOT buy Seal Skin for outdoor use.
Old November 26th, 2018, 12:08 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Yup...at least once a week if not more often. Why do you ask Allan?
Just wondering how your search for the portable garage went. That would negate the need for a car cover.
Old November 26th, 2018, 02:03 PM

my dad bought a budge cover about 20 years ago for my moms 66 gto.sold the car about 14 yrs ago and kept the cover,i still use it on my chevelle,still looks pretty nice.
Old November 26th, 2018, 08:56 PM

Just wondering how your search for the portable garage went. That would negate the need for a car cover.
I checked into it but I have no way to anchor it down...went with the Cover Craft Noah cover..
https://www.autoanything.com/car-cov...stom-car-cover
250 shipped Cyber Monday price. I feel confident I made a good choice. I'll also be getting some damp rid this week and then I think I'll be good. Agreed?

Last edited by 72455; November 26th, 2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old November 28th, 2018, 01:59 PM

I finally bought some damp rid today. I got 4 buckets (look to be about 8 ounces each). I put one in the center of my trunk, one between the front seats, and one by the evap canister under the hood...kept the last bucket for a spare. Will they be enough and is where I put them good?