Speedometer not working - speedo drive gear - ClassicOldsmobile.com

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old September 23rd, 2018, 06:28 PM   #1  

Speedometer not working - speedo drive gear

My speedometer stopped working suddenly yesterday.
I am able to turn the cable and see the speedometer as I do it.

Thus the drive speedo gear or the inner shaft speed gear is likely bad right?

What would cause either of these 2 gears to strip? I did shift down to low yesterday at low 10mph speed.... gently D to 2nd and then 2nd to Low. (TH350 automatic) . Driving in low seemed a little rough but cant tell for sure.

I dont want to go changing a plastic gear for it to just strip again if there is something causing this, that I have another issue.

Thanks in advance for input.
Via3d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2018, 07:33 PM   #2  
same but different

The cable is stamped into a square shape and fits in the gear. I'd suspect that the female end of the driven gear has gotten worn more so than a stripped gears scenario. But it could happen. You're going to have to have a look and see. Pretty easy to repair....er replace.
don71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2018, 10:42 PM   #3  
Old(s) Fart

Actually the root cause is usually a bad speedo cable. This causes excessive drag on the gears, and one or both wear out.
joe_padavano is online now   Reply With Quote