54 Olds Aluminum Radiator

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2018, 08:59 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

54 Olds Aluminum Radiator

After several years and too many $$, I think I have finally solved the cooling issues with my 54 Olds. This all started when I installed the AC about 3 years ago. I had the radiator recored to a 3 core which really did nothing for the car. Then I ran a 19 inch 6 blade fan. It helped a little. Then I switched to an electric fan with a shroud. I also added a pusher fan in front. It helped but you still couldn't run the air in the Texas heat when you needed it. I bought one cross flow radiator and had to have the inlet modified because it was right in front of my AC compressor. It looked so goofy I decided not to use it. I studied aluminum radiators and nobody makes one for a 54 Olds or I would have bought it to begin with. What I wound up with was an aluminum radiator for a 68 Dodge Coronet. It had the flanges on the side and was the correct width. It was a little shorter but the outlet was on the drivers side like it had to be and the inlet was a little off center to the drivers side where the Olds was in the center of the tank. Since the outlet was 1 1/2 inches I used a bushing on the bottom and was able to cut about 2 inches off the lower hose and use it. I used a 14" flex hose on top and it all worked. Since I had about a 5 inch gap below the radiator I fabbed a small panel to go there to block the air and force it all through the radiator. I worked on this thing all day yesterday. Of course I thought it would take about 2 hours. The 19 inch 6 blade fan was too big so I had to go back to the original 4 blade fan. I will take some measurements and see if I can get a 6 blade fan that will work. I looked at the 3 core radiator I took out of the car and believe it had too many fins in it to the point air could barely move through it. I took the car out today in the 97 degree weather and with the air off it ran 180 degrees on the highway. With the air on it ran 190. I certainly can live with that. At a stop light it would creep up to 200 with the air on but then come back down. I spent more on the cooling system than I spent installing the AC.
Old June 25th, 2018, 02:46 AM
Frank Ignachuck

Congratulations Glenn! Persistence pays off again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
persistence.jpg (12.9 KB, 2 views)
Old June 25th, 2018, 05:48 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Thanks Frank. Never, never surrender. I think that was Churchill. If I had done this first I would have saved a lot of money and grief. I really do think the 3 core radiator was the problem and was supposed to be the solution.
Old June 25th, 2018, 07:01 AM

Good to know, others will follow in your foot steps and save the bucks you lost..... Tedd
Old June 25th, 2018, 08:49 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I hope it does benefit somebody. I probably pissed off close to $1,600 on the cooling system. Trial and error can be expensive.
Old June 27th, 2018, 02:59 PM

Glad you got it fixed. I knew the heating problem was causing you many stressful headaches. Larry
Old June 27th, 2018, 03:22 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Thanks Larry. I still have a 17" six blade fan I am going to install. I have hooking up a fan controller today that will turn the electric pusher fan on at wherever I set it which will probably be about 180 degrees. I will also have it wired where it will come on automatically when I turn the AC on and I will have a manual override. When I started really looking at the 3 core radiator I paid $600 for I believe it actually had too many fins in it to be able to pass air. It kind of makes sense. I wish I had all the money I wasted on this cooling system. This aluminum radiator worked out pretty slick. Thanks for responding and I am glad you are still on here.

Regards

Glenn
Old June 27th, 2018, 03:38 PM

Glen, I feel like I must have been totally lucky with my A.C. addition . Cost $720 total.
i used the original radiator ,no fan changeover or shroud, and even used a 64" belt on stock single pulleys,and it never heated over halfway on the gauge ,all the time I had it.
Just proud you finally got it where you won't be afraid to use it. Smooth and cool sailing. Larry