63 Stalllin

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2018, 07:57 AM

63 Stalllin

Good morning out there gents. I just got my car back on the road after many years of sitting. Every trip to town is a bit of an adventure and I'm starting to get all the leaks taken care of but not I am having an issue with it stalling--It happens when the car is at low idle---at an intersection or when I put it into reverse...It dies very suddenly and starts right back up but I need to keep some RPMS to keep it running.
The idle on the car is not low...
I noticed this happening just after I put in a pertronix electronic ignition.

Anyone have any insight?

Much appreciated!

Dallas
Nelson BC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
thumbnail_20180503_163915.jpg (438.5 KB, 1 views)
Old May 6th, 2018, 10:11 AM

Try moving the primary/low voltage wires around for the the Pertronix to see if it stalls, may be a weak connection. May want to use insulated pliers to be safe.

If no problems then remove the Pertronix and see what happens.

Good luck!!!
Old May 6th, 2018, 10:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

It could be ignition, or it could be something else. One thing to consider is a weak fuel pump - specifically if the check valves are not sealing properly. At higher RPMs, the pump output is probably high enough to mask this leakage, but at low RPMs, you might not have enough fuel pressure. You could temporarily install a fuel pressure gauge at the carb inlet and watch what happens as the engine stalls.
Old May 6th, 2018, 04:01 PM
Administrator

It could be timing, idle a/f adjustment, or the red wire is connected to the coil with the resistance wire when its supposed to have a full 12v. Or as stated above fuel pressure or a loose connection.