Heater core & evaporator advice

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2018, 05:51 PM
Rodney

Heater core & evaporator advice

I'm close to the stage in my rebuild where I will need to reassemble the HVAC system and reinstall the evaporator suitcase. I have a a couple of questions hoping for advice from those that have gone before me.

1. Most of the replacement heater cores now are made from aluminum. Am I better off with a new aluminum core or should I have a radiator shop re-core my existing copper heater core? I will have an aluminum radiator and aluminum intake manifold, do I reduce the effects of electrolysis by installing an aluminum heat core instead of a copper core?

2. Can I pressure test the evaporator and reuse it if it tests OK, or should I replace it with a repop part? Can a radiator shop pressure test the evap core or should I take it to an AC shop?

My project has also reached critical mass in regards to the budget so saving $$ where possible is important but not if it affects dependability. Thanks!
Old March 16th, 2018, 09:34 AM

I haven't had any issues with the aluminum heater cores ive installed in the heater boxes that I restored. You can flush and pressure test the original evap. I do it many times. Just have to check with shops if they can do it. Some my gm restored units https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...FKMMKfybxmuIeJ
Old March 17th, 2018, 12:27 PM

summit racing

Summit sales a copper core