Edelbrock E-Street 2 EFI?

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2016, 05:26 PM

Edelbrock E-Street 2 EFI?

Hi all out in Olds-land,

I just finished installing an Edelbrock E-Street EFI system on my '71 Cutlass.
After experiencing several issues initially, I now how it running pretty darn well, and I would like to enable the systems ignition and spark control features.

When I was shopping around for which EFI system to choose, I wanted to make sure that the system would have these capabilities, and that they would function with my existing MSD billet "ready-to-run" distributor.

I was told at that time, by a couple techs at Edelbrock, that their system would indeed work perfectly with my MSD distributor.

However, now that I have purchased, installed, and trouble shot the system, I am being told the exact opposite by Edelbrock, and that their system will only work with their distributor, which would not be such an issue if Edelbrock made a distributor for an Oldsmobile, but of course they do not.

Any of y'all out there have any experience with the Edelbrock e-street 2 EFI system?

are there any other distributors that the E-street's ignition and spark control will work with?

Many thanks in advance!
Old August 2nd, 2016, 05:34 AM

I haven't had any experience with Edelbrock's EFI system; however, according to the Summit catalog this distributor should work with computer controlled ignition:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...ake/oldsmobile
Old August 2nd, 2016, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
I haven't had any experience with Edelbrock's EFI system; however, according to the Summit catalog this distributor should work with computer controlled ignition:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...ake/oldsmobile

Thanks Olds64! I'm trying to find out from Edelbrock if these are compatible with their EFI system.

Anyone else?
Old August 2nd, 2016, 07:54 PM

Well, that is interesting.

Nothing should be entirely proprietary with their setup - we're talking normal ignition stuff here - but they put some quirks in there.

Looking at the harness diagram in the instructions, they provide VREF, which is most likely 5v, maybe higher, to the distributor connector. It is NOT V+. Every other dizzy I've seen runs on V+. So you'd have to run V+ to your dizzy. Which you must already do since the thing is running.

The manual talks a lot about dirty tach signals, which I can understand. But I would give it a go with using the appropriate signal wiring to the ECU with V+ to the dizzy and see what happens. The smoke will stay in the machine as long as there's not a wildly incorrect wiring. And since it's running, this should be fine.

I would just enable it in the ECU and go. I don't think the compatibility arguments are justified.

The only hindrance I can imagine is if they do some proprietary chatter between their optical trigger and the ECU over the signal wire. But that''s highly unlikely.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by oddball
Well, that is interesting.

Nothing should be entirely proprietary with their setup - we're talking normal ignition stuff here - but they put some quirks in there.

Looking at the harness diagram in the instructions, they provide VREF, which is most likely 5v, maybe higher, to the distributor connector. It is NOT V+. Every other dizzy I've seen runs on V+. So you'd have to run V+ to your dizzy. Which you must already do since the thing is running.

The manual talks a lot about dirty tach signals, which I can understand. But I would give it a go with using the appropriate signal wiring to the ECU with V+ to the dizzy and see what happens. The smoke will stay in the machine as long as there's not a wildly incorrect wiring. And since it's running, this should be fine.

I would just enable it in the ECU and go. I don't think the compatibility arguments are justified.

The only hindrance I can imagine is if they do some proprietary chatter between their optical trigger and the ECU over the signal wire. But that''s highly unlikely.
Thank you oddball. unfortunately that is some distance past my level of expertise :^)
Old August 3rd, 2016, 05:23 PM

So, this is the response from Edelbrock:

"Peter,
Unfortunately only our distributor will enable the ignition control functions of the E street system. The only other option would be to have your current distributor machined to accept the internals from one of our distributors."
Old August 3rd, 2016, 06:03 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Pretty crappy, exactly why I want a system that can control the factory CCC computer controlled distributor. Cheap and reliable.
Old August 4th, 2016, 05:04 AM

Peter, that's a real bummer. You need to find a wiring schematic of the fuel injection system and a wiring schematic of the FAST distributor. I looked a little bit yesterday but didn't find anything.
Old August 4th, 2016, 03:31 PM

Just turn it on and see what happens. You would need to lock out the mechanical and vacuum advance.
Old August 6th, 2016, 03:15 PM

before ya buy anything...id google it....

Cutlassefi here is a good guy to talk to..he's really sharp on efi..and ive seen him comment on things that couldnt be done etc..theres always a way...he may know..i saw a comment where an HEI couldnt be used and he knew what to do and where to look in the code to make it work

he's seay to talk to also..
Old August 6th, 2016, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by marxjunk
before ya buy anything...id google it....

Cutlassefi here is a good guy to talk to..he's really sharp on efi..and ive seen him comment on things that couldnt be done etc..theres always a way...he may know..i saw a comment where an HEI couldnt be used and he knew what to do and where to look in the code to make it work

he's seay to talk to also..
Maybe I'll get lucky and he'll see this thread.....