AC O ring and schrader valve question 72 cutlass

Old June 2nd, 2016, 06:36 PM

AC O ring and schrader valve question 72 cutlass

Hey all,

I had perfect working AC since I owned the car but noticed oil on the AC muffler line and deterioration of the rubber hose recently. I removed the belt from the compressor and left it w/o AC to try and save the compressor from any possible damage (the thermal limiter switch is not blown so I think I caught it before it could do any damage.. I ordered a set of hoses (all 3) for the ac system and an O ring kit as it is in my general knowledge that if one's bad the others will follow!

My question is this: On the back of the compressor it is obvious the 2 O rings go into their perspective grooves on the unit itself,but I was wondering if the lines need separate o rings on the sleeves of the line that goes into the compressor? I took my old hoses to the hose guy a while back and they couldn't put new hoses on them as their crimping machine would tweak the aluminum fittings and I left them there so I have no reference point. If any of you have changed lines and can remember if there were 2 o rings for the lines themselves please let me know. Otherwise I'll just figure the 2 rings on the compressor are what keep it sealed.

Next question is I would like to replace the schrader valve on the POA side. I went to Oreiilys and asked if they had AC schrader valves in stock and they said they'd have to order some but a regular tire Schrader valve would work. I know they are the same dimensions but would it hold r12 pressures and not deteriorate the seals from use of oil and refrigerant? I'm guessing I need the AC ones but on the odd chance the Oreilly guy is right for once, just a reassurance from my pals on the site in either direction would be great!

Thanks in advance and hope you guys are having a great week thus far!
Old June 3rd, 2016, 12:41 AM

the two big orings that go in the grooves on the back of the compressor are all that are needed to seal the hoses to the back of the compressor. Also the tire Schrader valve is not designed for refrigerant. Go to your local automotive ac shop . They will probably just give you one.
Old June 3rd, 2016, 06:35 AM
Mr. Johnson

FJC inc. is a huge supplier of a/c parts and will have what you need. they also have conversion kits to make the switch over to r134a.
Old June 3rd, 2016, 07:18 AM

Just what I needed thanks guys! I pondered the r134 conversion but everything seems to be ok for now so I'll probably keep the r12 system till something big or obsolete goes out! Thanks for the O ring tip, I wanted to figure that one out before I took it up to get vac'd out and recharged! FJC looks like they have some great products for the AC systems! I ended up buying my hose kit from old air products, Link here:

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalo...s-p-16259.html

They look like pretty good quality hoses and were about $100 less than anywhere else I could find, my first time using them so I don't have any raving reviews but they fit perfect and use parker hoses which have always done good by me..... Thanks so much and have a great weekend!!!