Proper HANGERS at aft end of Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2016, 07:58 AM

Proper HANGERS at aft end of Mufflers

Exhaust hnagers at mufflers

Hmmmm.... this paragon of cleanliness and detailing [world's one and only C-brand green F85 W31]

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...8-c13d6f57d18f

Appears to have the muffler hangers installed wrong.

I have taken apart a few original cars, and bought reproduction hangers, and found one NOS hanger at a yard sale in Lansing. At first glance they all look alike. When you go to install, the differences pop out.

Here is my take:
There is a Left and Right side part, and my notes assert that they are
1382595 LH
1382594 RH

Huh, '68 Chevy 6-cyl LH and V8 RH:
http://www.gmpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=83261

I believe the rubber straps each have one 90 degree and one straight end. Each hanger uses one end 90° bend rubber and one end straight rubber. All this is supposed to help get the install right.

A strap with 90° bend at the top, to the frame, will go over the gently rounded frame area, then the bolt goes down thru the rubber thru the horizontal shelf of the frame. The rounded part of the frame alleviates stress concentrations on the curve.

A strap with the straight upper end will go along the vertical wall part of the frame and the screw with a large washer bolts it to the frame.

At the bottom, we have a similar situation where the unbent rubber runs vertically along the hanger's vertical section and a large-headed rivet secures the two.

The 90° bent rubbers, at the bottom, should pass UNDER the hanger, around a gently curved section, then rivet to a horizontal portion of the hanger. The best practice for joinery at this place.

Among the presumably aftermarket errors I have seen:

# Only one offered, not L & R.

# Rubber material far too thick, can't even bend it.

# Rubber around corner at bottom, at hanger horizontal, placed ATOP the hanger, thereby loading the rivet head in the worst possible manner.

# Holes/ obrounds for the muffler clamps spaced incorrectly for the clamps.

Here is a good example of what appears to be a proper L-R pair, with rubber run under the hanger's horizontal portion:

http://perfectmotorsmarket.com/maep_...-dual-exhaust/

On the C-Green car, I can't quite figure out what they did wrong, but there's something Not Right there. On *that* sort of car, these sorts of details should be absolutely correct.

Anyone else got input on the construction and proper installation of these hangers?

Last edited by Octania; March 22nd, 2016 at 08:18 AM.