68/69 passenger side mirror

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2016, 10:14 PM
Randy C.

68/69 passenger side mirror

Was the passenger side (non-remote control) mirror for the '68 and '69 A- body cars a factory option or a dealer add-on? I'm looking at the option pages for those years in my reference books and assembly manuals and I don't see anything that indicates the passenger side mirror was a factory option.

Oh, the odd things that plague my mind late at night!

Randy C.
Old March 20th, 2016, 11:57 PM

I don't have a "complete" option list for '68 or '69, but my "popular" option lists only show the D33 option for the remote control L.H. mirror. If '68 & '69 are like some other years that have been researched, the manual R.H. mirrors were available only through the parts department.
Old March 21st, 2016, 07:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Wow. I was all set to quote the RPO code, but there isn't one in either the 1968 or 69 SPECS booklets.
Old March 21st, 2016, 08:49 AM

Only came with the Open Main Web 350/400/455....

:-)
Old March 21st, 2016, 07:23 PM
Randy C.

Another question I had, and it might be already answered because it has become apparent that the right side mirror for 68/69 was a dealer add-on, was that could someone have a D33 remote control mirror on the driver side and a non-remote control mirror on the passenger side, even though the non-remote mirror doesn't look like the remote mirror. I'd bet the answer is yes. I'm thinking the dealer would put it on if the owner of the car wanted it installed.

I've been going back and forth on my '69 restoration on whether to just have the remote driver side mirror (what the car came with) or install the non-remote mirrors on both sides. I'm leaning towards only installing the remote mirror for the driver side.

Randy C.
Old March 21st, 2016, 07:47 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Good Q Randy. I have one of each on mine. The holes on the passenger door do look drilled. It has the passenger mirror and the correct vanity mirror. As Joe states there isnt an RPO for the passenger mirror. Ive never seen any dealer lit pointing to it being a dealer option yet it exist with a part number. Few 68s have the passenger side mirror. It wasn't a DOT mandated safety item.
If I did this car over again I would shave off both mirrors. Im not a huge fan of either mirror style and their placement lends to quite a bit of wind noise unless the wings are open. I dont like the 2 different styles on one car.

Last edited by droldsmorland; March 21st, 2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old March 21st, 2016, 08:23 PM

I recently had a '72 4 door for a daily driver & it had the remote driver & non remote passenger, both factory. They did match but it was 100% correct. Not sure about the '68-'69 cars though.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 04:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
Another question I had, and it might be already answered because it has become apparent that the right side mirror for 68/69 was a dealer add-on, was that could someone have a D33 remote control mirror on the driver side and a non-remote control mirror on the passenger side, even though the non-remote mirror doesn't look like the remote mirror. I'd bet the answer is yes. I'm thinking the dealer would put it on if the owner of the car wanted it installed.

I've been going back and forth on my '69 restoration on whether to just have the remote driver side mirror (what the car came with) or install the non-remote mirrors on both sides. I'm leaning towards only installing the remote mirror for the driver side.

Randy C.
Of course you could have both, and as noted, this was factory available for the 1970-72 model years, per the SPECS manuals. Personally I don't like the looks of the remote outside mirror and would prefer two manual ones on my 68-69 cars.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 04:49 AM

My 69 has both manual mirrors, but the passenger mirror is not on the dealer invoice. (I will ask Al if he had it installed at purchase or later?)

I like the look of non remote on both sides, and I almost backed into a tree on the passenger side of my Chevelle which had no pass mirror:-( (operator error for sure but I am used to two mirrors.)

I bought a perfect driver mirror and have been liking for a pass mirror non remote.......

Ryan
Old March 22nd, 2016, 05:52 AM

I wrestled with putting the manual Rh mirror on my '68 for the last 2 yrs. It has the remote Lh mirror & it's in awesome shape,the chrome is beautiful & of course the nice original door panel is setup for it so removing the remote wasn't going to happen. I didn't like the idea of the mirrors not matching but I finally bit the bullet & put a repop on. At least they both have the same general shape. They were listed as " dealer accessories" back then. Like Ryan I'm used to 2 mirrors & the way my garage is I like to get the Olds as close to the right side as possible when pulling it in,very scary without a mirror! I restored my 1st '68 back in '79. It had a remote mirror but I was able to find a nice junkyard set of door panels without the lh remote mirror. You could still get both manual mirrors from Olds back then so I just put the manuals on instead. There was a very nice red '68 on epay awhile back & the owner added the manual pass mirror with the Lh remote,after seeing it, it didn't look that bad too me so I added one to mine. Much safer!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
$_57.JPG (522.3 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by rob1960; March 22nd, 2016 at 05:57 AM.
Old March 22nd, 2016, 01:05 PM

My '68 Cutlass S had both left and right side mirrors, non-remote, when my folks bought the car from the original owners. In my youth, I thought they looked cheesy and replaced them with what are now known as aftermarket "muscle car" mirrors. They are on the car in my signature and avatar. I think I paid about $15 for the pair at Checker Auto Parts. The same ones go for about $40 nowadays. I did not have to do any drilling to install the AM mirrors to either side.

Last edited by BackInTheGame; March 22nd, 2016 at 01:07 PM. Reason: clarity