Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

61-63 F85, Dealer Install A/C Installation Instructions

Search this Thread

Old November 24th, 2015, 02:11 PM

61-63 F85, Dealer Install A/C Installation Instructions

What are the chances anyone has a set of these instructions that I can buy a copy of?

My '61 F85 wagon has it already installed, but in going under the dash and hood, it appears many liberties were taken while putting it in, such as braces that are only screwed in at one end, etc.

I want to go through the whole procedure and fix any iffy things I find.

This car has a lot of really dumb issues. My favorite so far is the steering column ground wire that was spliced into the A/C compressor clutch feed wire instead of going to ground, so that the horn would only blow if the ignition was off and a fan speed was selected on the control panel. That took a while to find.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Jim
Old January 13th, 2016, 03:14 AM

Hi, you should find it in the service manual... Should you not have it, I can scan a copy of the A/C chapter...
Old January 14th, 2016, 06:53 PM

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I have the FSM for the car, which covers all the A/C servicing.

What I am looking for are the instructions packed in the crate with the A/C kit that the dealer would use to actually install the A/C parts that were in the crate.

This would show each part, where it goes, and what is required to install it, such as all the ducting and supports that went under the dash, hose routing, compressor brackets, and what had to be (removed, moved, modified, etc) in order to make the kit work.

I would hate to see the flat-rate on this type of project, I'll bet they really got screwed on it.

I suspect that most technicians threw them away because they were ecstatic to be done with the job and wanted to get the heck out of the shop and to the bar.

I have piles of Olds literature, but I have never run across any install instructions for dealer-installed accessories, except for small things like e-brake warning lights, etc.

And thanks again for the kind offer of providing copies of the FSM, that's the kind of attitude that we need to keep forums like this being a service to the hobby.

Jim
Old January 16th, 2016, 01:28 PM

Wink

Hi Jim,
sorry to not be able to help you, but from France, that was the maximum I could do!
I agree with you, these instructions may have even never been read by technicians in the shop...
the '61'63 cutlass are a small family, like the "black sheep" of the Olds Family, so if I can support in any way another member,I do it!
Good luck to you to find it.
Old January 17th, 2016, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by jetfire88
What are the chances anyone has a set of these instructions that I can buy a copy of?

My '61 F85 wagon has it already installed, but in going under the dash and hood, it appears many liberties were taken while putting it in, such as braces that are only screwed in at one end, etc.

I want to go through the whole procedure and fix any iffy things I find.

This car has a lot of really dumb issues. My favorite so far is the steering column ground wire that was spliced into the A/C compressor clutch feed wire instead of going to ground, so that the horn would only blow if the ignition was off and a fan speed was selected on the control panel. That took a while to find.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Jim

Jim try these photos from the Oldsmobile Parts and Accessories Catalog 1941-1965 hope this will help Darren
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1706.JPG (58.9 KB, 16 views)
IMG_1707.JPG (51.1 KB, 17 views)
IMG_1702.JPG (54.4 KB, 19 views)
IMG_1703.JPG (50.6 KB, 19 views)
IMG_1704.JPG (47.3 KB, 18 views)