Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

1965 Starfire Gas line/Fuel tank questions

Search this Thread

Old November 21st, 2014, 05:34 AM
mmmm, starfires

1965 Starfire Gas line/Fuel tank questions

Hey guys, I have a symptom on my blue hard top that I'm trying to fix. When I turn right, the car stumbles like it is running out of fuel. When I straigten the wheel, everything drives fine. My thought is something in/on the fuel pickup in the tank.

But wait, theres more!

On my red 65 convertible, there are TWO fuel lines going to the fuel pump. On my blue hardtop, there are THREE fuel lines going to the fuel pump.

Which one is correct? If the blue car is not correct, I would rather just re-do it the correct way, including dropping the tank and inspecting the inside of it.

This all stemmed from wanting to replace the fuel pump (it had never been replaced in the last 15 years its been in the family). This includes replacing the hodge-podge of rubber, brass fittings, and hose clamps that go from the fuel pump to the carb. I have the correct metal line to go on it, but then noticed the wrong? fuel pump with 3 lines going in to it.

Help? Any ideas?
Old November 21st, 2014, 07:19 AM

Simply making a turn should not cause a stumble as there would be enough gas in the carb to prevent that but it could be a float level problem in the carb. 3 lines on a pump is for Ac cars that have the return line back to the tank.
Old November 21st, 2014, 08:02 AM
mmmm, starfires

both of my cars have AC.

This stumble has been through 2 Advance Auto carbs, and one professional OEM restoration from Sparky. I highly doubt its the carb(s)
Old November 21st, 2014, 08:15 AM

Ok then if both have AC do both have the fuel return line back to the tank/sending unit? 2 lines are all that is really needed. If you tried different carbs perhaps it is an issue with wiring or a short to the coil? Something might be hitting a terminal or wire within the dist or at coil or a rub thru on a wire that happens with momentum when turning in that direction.
Old November 26th, 2014, 11:36 AM
mmmm, starfires

its fuel related, and both cars have the proper part number carbs on them now. Just the hardtop car has 3 fuel lines and the convertible has two.

The replacement fuel pump we got from Fusichs had 2 fuel line ports.
Old December 31st, 2014, 04:12 AM
mmmm, starfires

So after talking to many people, it appears the 3 fuel lines on the hardtop car is incorrect. Not sure how/why it happened. I do know the car had the engine "rebuilt" at some point, and maybe it was done at that time. Either way, this winters project will be to redo the fuel system properly.
Old December 31st, 2014, 08:10 AM
Oldsdruid

It sounds like typical 4GC-itis to me. The original one on my blue 64 did the same thing and no amount of finagling straightened it out. With a different carb it ran fine.

There were times I'd have to back up an incline because the thing would stumble and stall so bad trying to go up forward. It also had fast idle and choke issues I could never trim out. After several years of fooling with it off and on in an effort to save the original carb, I said this is ridiculous. Fooling with that one convinced me that a good 4GC is a good one, and a bad one needs to go in the dumpster.
Old December 31st, 2014, 08:48 AM
mmmm, starfires

same problem with 2 or 3 carbs though. the one on it now was rebuilt by sparky, who comes highly regarded as a 4gc genius. I'm hoping his work is good
Old June 20th, 2018, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by justintiime
same problem with 2 or 3 carbs though. the one on it now was rebuilt by sparky, who comes highly regarded as a 4gc genius. I'm hoping his work is good
Hey Justin,
Just ran across this thread. I know it's old, but did you find the problem? The one we just bought has a gremlin too that sounds just like yours. You'll be cruising along at a steady speed, then all of a sudden it starts bucking like it's running out of gas. Mash it to the floor and it stops and may not do it again for a long time. It's always just going straight down the road. I figured if it were a fuel pump or filter, that mashing it to the floor would just make it worse. I'm afraid to drive the car very far in fear whatever it is might cause a breakdown. I am planning on rebuilding the carb because it leaks down when it's hot but not sure this is a carb issue.

Cheers,

John
Old June 20th, 2018, 06:41 PM

The Q-Jet on your 425 is a very nice carb worth rebuilding to say the least. I had several of mine rebuilt my Dean's Carb's in Stuttgart Arkansas. Call Deano and tell him what going on may not need a total going through. http://www.deanoscarbs.com/ Excellent choice.
Old June 21st, 2018, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by therobski
The Q-Jet on your 425 is a very nice carb worth rebuilding to say the least. I had several of mine rebuilt my Dean's Carb's in Stuttgart Arkansas. Call Deano and tell him what going on may not need a total going through. http://www.deanoscarbs.com/ Excellent choice.
The 65 doesn't have a Quadrajet. I wish it did. I think 66 was the first year for it.
John