Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

Official? big block Omega thread :)

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2012, 01:59 PM

trying to make it to the track this weekend. back bumper is lightened, lightening the front one as we speak. made my cutlass headers work with a little nasty fabrication. all in all its coming along, i just cant wait to get my omega headers from mondello. they are taking there time
Old April 13th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Administrator

I'm glad to see the project moving along. More pics!
Old April 15th, 2012, 09:43 AM

The spacer you guys are talking about on the drivers side is actually part of the power steering pump bracket. You'll see this big spacer on the bracket. I made a spacer for the motor mount, and installed it, only to find out that when I tried to put the power steering bracketry in, there it was!!!
Old April 16th, 2012, 10:09 AM

ill post a bunch more pics soon when i actually start putting more parts on it haha.

your right, and since i dont have power steering i made a spacer from the one i got from nonhog and everything lines up a lot better.
Old April 16th, 2012, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by The_Jeremiah
ill post a bunch more pics soon when i actually start putting more parts on it haha.

your right, and since i dont have power steering i made a spacer from the one i got from nonhog and everything lines up a lot better.
That's great to hear.. Glad it all worked out, and I thought I could throw my 2 cents in to help a buddy...
Old April 16th, 2012, 04:03 PM

indeed! also I dont know what happened to this thing, but the front bumper was replaced in 84 apparantly. on the backside of the bumper was a date in 84 and it said something about hold for such and such. i cant remember. just funny haha
Old April 24th, 2012, 12:36 PM

new headers showed up. dont fit. stressful
Old April 24th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Registered car nut

new headers showed up. dont fit. stressful
Bummer!
Old April 27th, 2012, 01:29 AM

Hey guys
I don't mean to hijack the thread. But I'm still trying to learn about Olds engine mounts. Those engine frame mounts on the subframe. Are those unique the X Body Omega? Remove the motor mount and it looks just like a 1st gen F body. Are the frame brackets the same as chevy?
Old April 27th, 2012, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by BVRmonger
Hey guys
I don't mean to hijack the thread. But I'm still trying to learn about Olds engine mounts. Those engine frame mounts on the subframe. Are those unique the X Body Omega? Remove the motor mount and it looks just like a 1st gen F body. Are the frame brackets the same as chevy?
I believe they are, everything on my omega is just like an A body mount like a cutlass, but the rubber mount is a hair taller the only example i have is this picture

this is the rubber motor mount that fits onto the omega 350, and the solid version from dick miller racing. its not the "clamshell" style the nova uses, and if you order a motor mount from the parts store for an omega, you get a clamshell, you have to order a certain part number, i cant remember what, i found it on the site somewhere
0315121708.jpg
Old April 27th, 2012, 09:34 PM

its been awhile since i have updated, so heres my amazing update! haha

modified the 5mph bumper shocks
0412121805.jpg

modified the bumpers
0412122058.jpg
Old April 27th, 2012, 09:36 PM

this is my temporary header since apparantly im the only guy in the world that has an omega that the mondello headers dont fit
0412122015.jpg
Old April 27th, 2012, 09:41 PM

I think in the near future im going to be doing a rack and pinion conversion. ugh
also pretty much all the bushings are shot. so im just waitin for some money so i can order stuff
Old April 28th, 2012, 04:09 AM

Wow, those headers are nasty. But you do what you gotta do!!
Old May 1st, 2012, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dokks74
Wow, those headers are nasty. But you do what you gotta do!!
now you see why im so frustrated that none of the headers would fit haha. my plan is to just go with a rack and pinion, then the cutlass headers should fit no problem, and ill just get a nice set of cutlass headers, because there is no point in spending hundreds of dollars on headers in my opinion
Old May 1st, 2012, 06:32 PM
GM Enthusiast

Wow, sorry to see you're still having issues with this. Hopefully you will be able to get this resolved soon so you can drive it now that the weather is getting better.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:12 PM

I'd be frustrated too about the headers. How many others have put the 455 in a 73-74 X body? And they get headers to fit?
A rack and pinion would do away with the steering box. You"d still have the steering shaft going down to the rack but it's nowhere near as large as that steering box.
Old May 4th, 2012, 07:47 AM

modified the bumpers
I like that idea !! ... : ) I was thinking of using my spare rear brackets from a 73 Nova, but I like your mod!

Hmmm ... while debating this idea for 'lightening up' the bumper .... wouldn't you want the weight on the back for dragging ?? I
Old June 5th, 2012, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Slomega
I like that idea !! ... : ) I was thinking of using my spare rear brackets from a 73 Nova, but I like your mod!

Hmmm ... while debating this idea for 'lightening up' the bumper .... wouldn't you want the weight on the back for dragging ?? I
I thought about that, so i figured lightening up the front one would balance out the car haha. but the rear bumper was already apart, i actually got part of the idea from nonhog, but everyone i talked to said the shocks would explode, so i wrapped them in a cold towel and started welding. then after i welded them i cut the shock off, cause once you cut the shock off, it can move around.

sorry i havent been on, been assessing my steering options. found out a front steer sub frame WONT work, i had a buddy who has one for sale. thought about fabbing a mustang 2 rack in, but it doesnt seem to do-able. so im thinkin of the rack and pinion from speedway for 499.00 its just lots of money to blow on the car. ugh. also decided im gonna go with a 4 speed after driving a friends SS chevelle this weekend. so gonna work on tackling that too.

anyone have a 455 flywheel and bellhousing they want to sell?
Old June 5th, 2012, 07:17 PM

Don't forget about the crank.
Old June 6th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Registered car nut

Originally Posted by Slomega
I like that idea !! ... : )
With the right traction bars or Cal tracs etc. these cars hook.
(from all the reading I did on Steves Nova site)
The lighter the better!

also decided im gonna go with a 4 speed
That will be cool!
Old June 7th, 2012, 02:22 PM

I wonder if and how the Hooker headers for a 455 in a g-body would fit ?
Old June 9th, 2012, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by svnt442
Don't forget about the crank.
your right, im on the lookout for a 425 crankshaft just incase i decide to tear my engine down (still has the stock bottom end and ive shifted at 6 with no problems :] )
Old June 9th, 2012, 09:11 PM

Otherwise ill find a way to drill my crank, theres always a way. on another note, a local machinist wants to trade labor, me work on his car mechanically, he fabs up a new header or steering for me. so things are looking up there.

On another another note... SCORE! i went to a swap meet today and found a pontiac / oldsmobile lakewood scattershield for half of what they are new, and a brand new 4 speed conversion kit (hanger assembly and linkage) for a nova for half of what they are new from ss396.com. so now all i need is a 4 speed. haha.

Ill probably ordering cal trac springs soon, and I have a buddy who makes cal trac bars for a fraction of the price ( a machinist who borrowed a set and started building his own )

Im so excited this thing is gonna be a terror. im gonna have number 11's all over town, and the mopars are gonna leak oil at the site of this thing

also i measered a 70 camaro sub frame, which is front steer vs my rear steer, because someone previously mentioned this being a possibility. the sub frames are COMPLETELY different. fml. haha
Old June 15th, 2012, 08:59 PM

I'd be frustrated too about the headers. How many others have put the 455 in a 73-74 X body? And they get headers to fit?
A rack and pinion would do away with the steering box. You"d still have the steering shaft going down to the rack but it's nowhere near as large as that steering box.
mondello headers are supposed to fit, but they didnt for me. the rack and pinion is the way i would like to go, but its a lot of money out the door
Old June 15th, 2012, 09:03 PM

Hey guys
sorry missed this one, no the frame brackets are different, if you order motor mounts for a 74 omega from smucks oreillys, they give you the clamshell style mount a nova has. omega uses the same style mount as the A bodies, basically. when i ordered my solid mount from dick miller, i said its like an A body mount, but taller, and he said yea, they make a big block mount, and a small block mount, and just mixed and matched between the cars.
Old June 15th, 2012, 10:02 PM

I had a 73 Omega years ago. Regret like hell getting rid of it now. But, I just went thru most of this thread. Good work !!! Bummer about the header frustration. I did also notice you're looking for a 425 Crank. What City/State are you in? I've got one from a 67 425. It's currently standard/standard but going to need turned since I scratched it on a nasty disassembly of a seized motor. My machinst says that rod journal should clean up at .010 and mains would get by with just a polish. I'd probably just get it turned .010/.010. Not like taking a little of a BBO Forged crank is going to hurt. If anything it can use the lightening. I'm in OKC, OK if you're interested.
Old July 24th, 2012, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by hotrodpc
I had a 73 Omega years ago. Regret like hell getting rid of it now. But, I just went thru most of this thread. Good work !!! Bummer about the header frustration. I did also notice you're looking for a 425 Crank. What City/State are you in? I've got one from a 67 425. It's currently standard/standard but going to need turned since I scratched it on a nasty disassembly of a seized motor. My machinst says that rod journal should clean up at .010 and mains would get by with just a polish. I'd probably just get it turned .010/.010. Not like taking a little of a BBO Forged crank is going to hurt. If anything it can use the lightening. I'm in OKC, OK if you're interested.
sorry for the long wait time, im in ellensburg, washington. a bit of real estate between us LOL
Old July 24th, 2012, 12:34 AM

So I have another update, the steering issue will most likely be resolved with a Nova rack and pinion conversion kit I bought off ebay for WAY cheaper than what they run new. ( this one is slightly used )

I also have a ford 9in stripped down ready to be narrowed soon and fitted with 4.10 gears and a locker

I also am the proud new owner of a T56 6 speed never guess where im planning on putting it
Old August 13th, 2012, 09:25 PM

I have a 74 Omega and I recently bought a 455 for it, and was wondering if the Hooker super competition headers for a late sixties and early to mid seventies cutlass? And will it be harder if the car is an original 6 cylinder.
Old August 15th, 2012, 05:14 AM

your right, im on the lookout for a 425 crankshaft just incase i decide to tear my engine down (still has the stock bottom end and ive shifted at 6 with no problems :] )
All 455's that came with a automatic will have to have the crank drilled for a pilot bearing. Also, be sure the 455 block you'll be using has the provision for the 4-speed screw in ball for the cross shaft.
Old August 15th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Originally Posted by 74Omega461
I have a 74 Omega and I recently bought a 455 for it, and was wondering if the Hooker super competition headers for a late sixties and early to mid seventies cutlass?
No. Those headers are designed for a front-steer chassis and won't clear the 73-74 Omega's steering box (mounted rear of the crossmember). I honestly don't know of any headers for the early rear-steer Omega with a BBO. Hooker builds them for SBO.
Old August 15th, 2012, 09:26 AM

I'd be careful shifting at 6k rpm with a stock bottom end. A stock rotating system, stock cam, cast pistons, cast crank, stock rods, bolts, and stock oiling, 5000 is the limit.
Old August 18th, 2012, 03:27 PM

haha, the shifting at 6k was an accident. but it held together, i think im gonna hone and re ring this engine when its out, so thats a perfect excuse to have the crank drilled at a local machine shop. ill most likely run a hydraulic clutch setup since im using a T-56 6 speed transmission, mainly to lessen the amount of room the clutch linkage takes up, however, i think im gonna slow down on the money im spending, the only car i love more than any car oldsmobile powered, is the DeLorean, and I believe I found one for 15k. trying to save money hahaha. anyone want to buy a motorcycle?
Old August 18th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Registered car nut

the only car i love more than any car oldsmobile powered, is the DeLorean, an hahaha. ?
How about a Olds powered Deloreon? Toronado? be an improvement on the PVR engine they came with. They are cool looking!
Old August 19th, 2012, 05:57 AM

haha, the shifting at 6k was an accident. but it held together, i think im gonna hone and re ring this engine when its out, so thats a perfect excuse to have the crank drilled at a local machine shop. ill most likely run a hydraulic clutch setup since im using a T-56 6 speed transmission, mainly to lessen the amount of room the clutch linkage takes up, however, i think im gonna slow down on the money im spending, the only car i love more than any car oldsmobile powered, is the DeLorean, and I believe I found one for 15k. trying to save money hahaha. anyone want to buy a motorcycle?
Do you have the correct dimensions for the machine shop?? I have a diagram, straight from Joe Mondello, on the dimensions.
Old August 19th, 2012, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by nonhog
How about a Olds powered Deloreon? Toronado? be an improvement on the PVR engine they came with. They are cool looking!
the delorean might be more of a pipe dream, depends on if i can manage to save the money, among selling the truck, and the bike, however, dont temp me, ive seen them with 302 fords in them, i was very interested in trying to make an adapter plate to try and stick a supercharger from a 3.8L supercharged onto the top of the PRV since I have a supercharger. But ill jump off that bridge when and if I get to the delorean
Old August 19th, 2012, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dokks74
Do you have the correct dimensions for the machine shop?? I have a diagram, straight from Joe Mondello, on the dimensions.
I dont have the dimensions, i would be very appreciative if you could send me them somehow, so i have them for future reference. I would really like to order more stuff from mondello, if I havent been blacklisted already. I dealt with Joe before he passed away. Company has changed a lot. Oh well, I finally got my money back.
Old August 19th, 2012, 01:09 PM

T-56 wrapped in plastic next to a T-10. T-10 is broken, but for sale if anyone wants
0720121247.jpg
Old August 20th, 2012, 05:39 AM

I dont have the dimensions, i would be very appreciative if you could send me them somehow, so i have them for future reference. I would really like to order more stuff from mondello, if I havent been blacklisted already. I dealt with Joe before he passed away. Company has changed a lot. Oh well, I finally got my money back.
PM your email address to me. I have the page with the drawing and dimensions already scanned.

Quick Reply: Official? big block Omega thread :)