Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

Some good updates and a couple questions for my 62 Starfire

Search this Thread

Old October 10th, 2011, 05:27 PM

Some good updates and a couple questions for my 62 Starfire

Hey everyone. Well I have some good news to report for once. I have not gotten around to putting in my new fuel pump yet. I see what you guys mean about the back bolt, so I must get some wobble extensions.

So I decided that I would put in my new light bulbs since I bought a new battery for the car. While under the dash, I noticed that something wasn't plugged in. So I plugged that in, and then I was messing around under the console to put in a new shift indicator bulb. All of a sudden, the wipers, clock, and radio began to work!!!! I was REALLY surprised, especially since I have been trying to get the wipers to work since I got the car. Both the front and rear speakers work, and the clock works just fine. I am not sure what I did either.

Now I assume that it has something to do with what I plugged in under the dash, as well as what I was doing in the console. The question I have is this: I noticed when I have the lights on and I am using the electric windows, there is a noticable power drain. What I mean is that the headlights and interior lights dim noticeably while I am pushing it either up or down. Is there a problem with the switch?? Or is there a short somewhere? I still have not been able to get the heater blower to work yet. I noticed that the plastic vac port that connects to the heater thermostat by the gas pedal is cracked allowing some vac to escape. But at least the summer ventilation works. Hopefully soon everything will work like it is supposed to. I am just glad my radio works, and the wipers Now I need to get some wiper refills.
Old October 11th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Administrator

I take it the motor is not running when you operate the windows??? They are a substantial load on the electrical system!
Old October 11th, 2011, 04:38 PM

No the motor was running... thats why I thought that was funny. I was thinking maybe a short somewhere?? Or the switches themselves? It isn't easy to access them. I had a hell of a time getting the shift indicator bulb back in there by just feeling around. I just bought some oil and a filter so I can do an oil change while I redo the fuel pump (I did get a wobble extension set too). I was just excited that the radio and clock actually worked!!! I just need to fix the other little (or major) issues. I noticed my hot light came on while I let it idle for awhile with the hood open. Hopefully I don't have to put in a new water pump too.
Old October 12th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Well those windows do have quite draw, make sure everything is lubed and not binding! The overheat issue could be alot of things, just don't run it hot untill you get it all ironed out and setup!! It may straighten out as you get running better!
Old October 12th, 2011, 10:28 AM

Thanks for the advice. I haven't been working on the car as much as I would like. After I get the fuel pump changed, I will do the oil change. From there, I will prob replace the thermostat and see if that helps anything. I have no idea what kind of shape the water pump is in. I do know that the radiator was recored recently and it looks great on the inside.

As for the windows, I can lube up everything once I get the door panels off. Don't they sell new switch bases now?? Anything thanks for the input I will keep everyone updated.
Old October 26th, 2011, 10:42 PM

Well I got the car up on jacks today so I could finally drain the oil and get to the new fuel pump. I could tell that the plug baffled a few previous owners since the edges of it are all chew up from crescent wrenches. I noticed the fuel pump I got from Fusicks is a bit different. Mine has a vent hole with some mess stuff, but the Fusicks pump does not. Other than that, the inlet/outlet holes are a bit different too but everything should work.

I need to take pictures of the rear brake junction block. All the brakes were redone, but there is a hose comming out of a rear junction block that is capped off with a vac port with a screw in it (I will take picture tomorrow). I want to make sure it is set up right. If it isn't, I want to make it right.

I noticed that my manifold heat riser valve is totally STUCK. I wonder if this is causing some of my overheating problems (I am sure the single exhaust isn't helping). I think it is stuck closed too. I am going to try to beat on it a bit to get it free since it is still on the car. Does anyone know where to get these new if possible? Fusicks doesn't have em. I hope to try and get it moving at least for now.

Another question is the fuel tank vent line. From what I have read, only AC cars had a fuel return line. Right now, I just have the metal line coming from the tank. Is it supposed to be capped or is there supposed to be a rubber line going to the filler pipe? The gas cap is some aftermarket locking cap. Could be one of the reasons for the smell of fuel when I open up the garage lol.

I am sure I will have a few more questions while I am up under the car for the next few days. I am surprised that I found only 2 rust areas. The front inner rockers on both sides have some rust though right toward the front. I guess leaves and stuff would get stuck inbetween the frame and the inner rockers. Should be a pretty easy fix. Hopefully I don't find any major problems in the next few days.