Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

Is there much for older Oldsmobiles?

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2007, 09:09 AM
1915 and 46-48 Olds pro.

Is there much for older Oldsmobiles?

I see a hot rodded 48 on here, but I dont see much listed for pre 1950 let alone prewar. Is there any plan for old oldsmobiles? just wondering.

Thanks,
Old June 25th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Past Administrator

Not too many. Mine, Norm's two, and a spattering of other early to mid fifties but no pre-war cars to my knowledge. You could try this link but I don't think there are any old Oldsmobiles like yours. Lots of Fords though (of course).

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/

Are yours restored, hot-rods or projects?
Old June 25th, 2007, 03:04 PM

Hi Guys,

oldsmobile1915:

According to my Motor's Manual from the era (not as complete as my '49 Olds FSM) Olds first supplemented the automatic (centrifugal) spark advance with the vacuum unit in '36.

Can you tell me if the vacuum source was the intake manifold, or ported from the carburetor riser, just above the throttle valve?

Thanks, Norm
Old June 26th, 2007, 09:11 AM
1915 and 46-48 Olds pro.

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Not too many. Mine, Norm's two, and a spattering of other early to mid fifties but no pre-war cars to my knowledge. You could try this link but I don't think there are any old Oldsmobiles like yours. Lots of Fords though (of course).

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/

Are yours restored, hot-rods or projects?
My 1948 is restored original (21-A paint - Noraway green top, Alpine Green Metallic Chrome Bottom, Nankeen Cream Wheels - see http://www.geocities.com/oldsmobile1948/p1.html)

My 1947 is a mild hotrod using an 81 Olds Cutlass front sub frame, 350 Olds/TH350 with Holly Projection FI system. (see http://www.geocities.com/oldsmobile1...os/forpost.jpg)

My three+ 1915's are projects in process. In my research, there are around 10 known 1915 model 42 Oldsmobiles left. With the three+ that I have, I hope to use the original parts to restore 1, use the one as a pattern to create missing parts to finish / restore the second, make a traditional speedster of the third, and create a hotrod with the leftover spare parts (makes a fourth?).
(See http://www.geocities.com/jjferrero/photos/allolds.jpg and www.geocities.com/oldsmobile1915)

I noticed in the Forum line-up lists of Alero, Bravada, Silhouette, etc... If there is a category for Pre-1950, this site may be able to obtain / retain older Oldsmobiles as well. (Just a suggestion)

Thanks again for the HAMB link.
Old June 26th, 2007, 09:13 AM
1915 and 46-48 Olds pro.

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
Hi Guys,

oldsmobile1915:

According to my Motor's Manual from the era (not as complete as my '49 Olds FSM) Olds first supplemented the automatic (centrifugal) spark advance with the vacuum unit in '36.

Can you tell me if the vacuum source was the intake manifold, or ported from the carburetor riser, just above the throttle valve?

Thanks, Norm
I'll check my resources tonight, and I will get back to you. please check back soon!
Old June 26th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Past Administrator

Joe, your '48 is very, very nice and I really like your '47. Something about the big fenders and that sloping back just does it for me, that's why I bought mine. Your cars make my '46 (I just found out recently, the title indicated '48 incorrectly) look like a turd! But it will be a fun one to drive when it is finished. How drastic is the difference in driving quality between the '48 with the original suspension/brakes and the '47 with the modern front sub-frame? The reason I ask is that I am going the original route because I am cheap, might do the sub-frame deal in the future some day. By the way, I do have a spare straight six if you know anyone that is interested, the transmission too, as I am not going to use either one.
Old June 29th, 2007, 09:59 PM
1915 and 46-48 Olds pro.

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
Hi Guys,

oldsmobile1915:

Thanks, Norm
From the book I have, it looks like ported from the carburetor riser, just above the throttle valve. I hope this helps.

~Joe
Old June 29th, 2007, 10:09 PM
1915 and 46-48 Olds pro.

Joe, your '48 is very, very nice and I really like your '47. Something about the big fenders and that sloping back just does it for me, that's why I bought mine. Your cars make my '46 (I just found out recently, the title indicated '48 incorrectly) look like a turd! But it will be a fun one to drive when it is finished. How drastic is the difference in driving quality between the '48 with the original suspension/brakes and the '47 with the modern front sub-frame? The reason I ask is that I am going the original route because I am cheap, might do the sub-frame deal in the future some day. By the way, I do have a spare straight six if you know anyone that is interested, the transmission too, as I am not going to use either one.

Thanks for the compliments. I did all the work on both the 47 and the 48, so if you have any question from the upholstery to the wood grain, from mechanical to paint, I will try my best to walk ya through it.

The driving quality is much better with the sub frame. I am able to use modern shocks, stiffer bushings, and steering and braking is much easier. It's like driving a modern car versus an old boat.

How much are you looking for the 6 and the hydramatic? With my '48, It is not the easiest to get mechanical parts to keep everything running. If you are not too far, I may just be interested!

Keep in touch and we'll see where everything goes
Old June 30th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Past Administrator

Joe, sadly I am in Kansas City Mo. A long trip to New York! However, if you think you would still consider shipping worth it I would probably only want oh.....$300 for both. And I have no idea how to box them up so it would take some research. Anyway, I just want to be fair. Right at the moment I can only think of one question. There is a device on the end of the master brake cylinder and I think it is the brake switch. Am I right? Anyway, have a nice day!
Old July 1st, 2007, 03:19 AM

Don't know how I missed this one. Read the one after it, the same day.

Originally Posted by oldsmobile1915
........ I hope this helps.
Yes, very much.

Thanks, Norm
Old July 2nd, 2007, 05:03 AM
1915 and 46-48 Olds pro.

Joe, sadly I am in Kansas City Mo. A long trip to New York! However, if you think you would still consider shipping worth it I would probably only want oh.....$300 for both. And I have no idea how to box them up so it would take some research. Anyway, I just want to be fair. Right at the moment I can only think of one question. There is a device on the end of the master brake cylinder and I think it is the brake switch. Am I right? Anyway, have a nice day!

If that powertrain were a little closer, I'd be all over it! Shipping is the killer.

So you're in Kansas City Mo?? That's where my Olds was made!

The device at the end of the master brake cylinder is the brake switch. Surprisingly, the switch can still be had at your local parts store. Advance Auto Parts did a little research for me and found it in one of their catalogs. They have the correct brake switch on the shelf for like $6.00.

There are similar switches on some late 70's early 80's Ford F150s, but the electrical connectors are a little different. Doing a hotrod, this may or may not be good for you.

Have a great holiday!
Old July 2nd, 2007, 07:31 AM
Past Administrator

Thanks Joe for the response. I sorta thought it was the switch. Good work on the research too, I will replace it if it is that reasonable. The original probably works but one of the terminals is in poor shape and I don't think it would take much to break it off completely. That is why I was wondering. I have found that there are more parts for these cars than I initially thought possible considering their age. If you ever need that engine/transmission let me know, it will probably just reside in the corner of the garage until someone takes it. The No.2 and No.3 cylinders don't have good compression, I don't know if it is the head itself or a gasket as I haven't tore into it. Anyway, thanks again.
Old July 6th, 2007, 09:25 AM
1915 and 46-48 Olds pro.

I appreciate it! If you are ever near Niagara Falls, please stop by! (I'm only an hour away).
Old February 14th, 2014, 12:52 PM
1915 and 46-48 Olds pro.

Hey guys... just an update, yahoo got rid of their geocities stuff (a long time ago) and honestly I forgot about this site (since there wasn't a lot of pre 1950 activity on here in 2007) but I received an email wishing me a happy birthday and I saw more activity here.

I am throwing a new site together, and some of my oldsmobiles (and other cars) can be seen at http://joeshobbygarage.blogspot.com/ If you have "?"'s... feel free to ask me.

and updated email would be joeshobbygarage@yahoo.com

Happy Motoring!

~Joe
Old February 14th, 2014, 01:00 PM
Past Administrator

Thanks for the information Joe. I will be checking your site out for sure.
Old February 14th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Past Administrator

I just quickly viewed your site and the vehicles in a separate window. I still like your '48 and would be interested to see what happens with the Wartburg. From the one image I saw it looks kind of cool. I think I like the shape of it. Have a good one.
Old February 14th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Joe, thanks for sharing, you have a nice collection.