Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

Universal Classic Car VIN Decoder

Old December 21st, 2006, 06:55 AM

Universal Classic Car VIN Decoder

Decode This! is a web site dedicated to providing a single source of VIN information for the classic and collectible car hobbies. So far we've added a ton of VIN patterns that can be decoded, including:

1953-1974 Corvettes
1967-1971 Camaros
1967-1971 Pontiac Firebird
1960-1969 Chevrolets
1960-1961 Cadillacs
1960-1966 Oldsmobiles
1965-1973 Mustangs
1960-1969 Fords
1966-1970 Chryslers
1960-1961 DeSoto

And we're adding more every week (working on Oldsmobiles right now).

We've added the Flickr images to the decoding, allowing you to see other people's prides and joys, as well as finding some awesome pictures of your favorite cars.

Add the decoding function to your Google Toolbar to allow decoding any VIN on a web page with a single button!

Stop on by and see all of the new features added to the site (it's hard to believe it was only October when I launched the thing. It's grown beyond my original concept) and please make comments on what you'd like to see added.

Richard Brown
info@decodethis.com
Old December 21st, 2006, 08:21 AM
Past Administrator

Well guys, we wanna keep this thread or not? The info looks usefull but not sure since it is really a link to someplace admin may not want. I dunno.......help me out here.
Old December 21st, 2006, 10:01 AM

Sorry, didn't mean to cause trouble. I'm just spreading word about the site. As I start to work on a particular make I try to reach out to that community and have them "stress test" my data. There's a lot of data entry to do and I want to make sure it's all as accurate as possible.

Right now I'm working on Oldsmobiles, having gotten 1960 through 1966 in I'm starting to work on the harder years (1966 on are the years Olds integrates into GM's "new" VIN format) and it's nice to have a safety check in that I've got it right.

I just didn't know where else to drop a line here.

Regards,

Richard
info@decodethis.com
Old December 21st, 2006, 12:41 PM
Past Administrator

No problem, let's see what the guys think.

GUYS?????
Old December 21st, 2006, 02:03 PM

hey it got my VIN correct so, Ok in my book prolly. Although it DOES look a bit shady hahah. But it worked..
Old December 21st, 2006, 05:16 PM

I'm curious, but why does it look shady? The service is free, without trying to sell you something, or even sign up for a mailing list. Hardly shady in my book. Still, I don't want to leave a bad taste in someone's mouth if it can be avoided. I wrote the application myself because I was tired of hunting down a working VIN decoder for my '69 Mustang. I noticed that there wasn't any ONE place to go to get a VIN decoded, and some models weren't even available.

Me being a programmer and not a bolt-turner wanted to make my contribution to the hobby.

Richard
Old December 21st, 2006, 09:52 PM

not saying nothing against it, as I said it got my VIN correct.

just the FORMAT looks...well...a bit shady! with all the google ads on the left side bar its in the same format as almost 99% of the shadarific sites that try to get you to buy things or send trojans or tracking cookies to get info. Im just saying it LOOKS shady, not that it is. Maybe id say work on the color scheme/layout a bit mroe, then it woul be all good in my book.
Old February 4th, 2007, 04:24 PM
2Blue 55

Hi thought the site was great, i didn't think It looked shady, it was a great idea to advertise on this site, I think we should welcome advertisements to gain more knoledge of what is out there.
Old October 8th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Just an Olds Guy

VIN decoder? No thank you.

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Well guys, we wanna keep this thread or not? The info looks usefull but not sure since it is really a link to someplace admin may not want. I dunno.......help me out here.
It's an interesting site for some. Dan, I'm not sure about the links. Most of them are loss leader invitations to something that sounds like it's free until you go to the site. Then there's a charge and request for personal information that I would not disclose to an unknown or untrusted source. Sorry, but this link is somewhat disappointing. Also, my antivirus blocked out some of the ads saying they were undesirable and contained webcrawler spyware. For many people who aren't keeping updated software protection, that's a concern since I know that Paul and other admins work very hard to ensure that this site is kept as "clean" as possible.

If the vin decoder site was just a VIN identification site without all the peripheral issues, I would be totally ok with it. As it is, it's also a tracking tool. Bet there are all kinds of cookies and records of blocked threats left in my computer from the short visit I had.
Old October 10th, 2009, 09:51 PM
67 heavy metal

I hate to say it and I am not a admin or any such thing but this may be a dead subject as there is a large gap in posts and time this started in the end of 06 then a post in 07 then nothing till thursday oct 8th 09.
Old October 11th, 2009, 12:46 AM

Got my Vin right so lets keep him.
Old October 11th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Past Administrator

I had forgotten about this thread. In the years that have passed we haven't had much posting on it and no real negative experiences reported so will probably just leave it.
Old October 11th, 2009, 01:09 PM

They are missing a lot of years.
Old October 11th, 2009, 02:53 PM
67 heavy metal

I havn't checked the site but it said he was up to 1966 anyone know if he ever got to 67 and up.

Last edited by delmontcrusier; October 11th, 2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old October 11th, 2009, 02:56 PM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by Allan R
It's an interesting site for some. Dan, I'm not sure about the links. Most of them are loss leader invitations to something that sounds like it's free until you go to the site. Then there's a charge and request for personal information that I would not disclose to an unknown or untrusted source. Sorry, but this link is somewhat disappointing. Also, my antivirus blocked out some of the ads saying they were undesirable and contained webcrawler spyware. For many people who aren't keeping updated software protection, that's a concern since I know that Paul and other admins work very hard to ensure that this site is kept as "clean" as possible.

If the vin decoder site was just a VIN identification site without all the peripheral issues, I would be totally ok with it. As it is, it's also a tracking tool. Bet there are all kinds of cookies and records of blocked threats left in my computer from the short visit I had.
My other question is there any problems with bad ads or links mentioned above or has it been updated.I am weary about going on a site that may give my computer trouble as I have enough aggervation now.
Old September 19th, 2011, 06:09 PM

Pretty cool little gadget. It confirmed my suspicion that my car is on fact a F85 Cutlass! Thanks!
Old September 29th, 2011, 01:22 PM

Trying to find the history of my 1963 Starfire. When it was repainted the vin plate was removed from the door pillar and it now has a sticker in the engine bay (CA946974) issued by the state of California. The car was reupholstered at the same time so there is no build sheet either. Is there any other way I can decode this car?
Old September 29th, 2011, 01:47 PM

"unable to decode vin" D:
Old December 17th, 2011, 03:18 PM

Sorry it's been so long since I've posted here. The site is going to get an upgrade of classic car data shortly. I'm working with the nice folks at classiccardatabase.com to provide data to the site. I use their data also in my classic car iPhone app Car Collector (www.carcollectorapp.com). They have over 30,000 vehicles in their database from 1910 through 1975. I can pull VIN data from vehicles from the mid-50s on (earlier vehicles just don't have enough unique data to make it worth while).

Hopefully you'll stop by when it's up next month! Or try the iPhone app, it does the decoding for you directly on your phone and tracks the vehicles you've seen.

Thanks,

Richard

www.decodethis.com
www.collectorcarapp.com