Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

64 Starfire washer bottle location?

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2018, 09:08 PM

64 Starfire washer bottle location?

So I've acquired a new Starfire recently, and I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions as I try to get it back to factory shape. One that stood out right away was the windshield washer jar location. Looking at various internet pictures of Starfires and 98s (with A/C and cruise) I can't tell what the original location was for this. It seems the passenger side front, behind the headlight is correct, since there are mounting nuts for it here. However, I see a lot of them with it placed by the cruise control unit. This seems odd, due to the angle? (See picture) And I have seen some on the firewall. Anyone know where these are supposed to be?

Also, was the glass spare washer solvent bottle a factory item, or an aftermarket one? I see this on a lot of cars and it is always behind the passenger headlight.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
190555_a972baec77_low_res.JPG (72.8 KB, 41 views)
image1.JPG (712.8 KB, 35 views)
Old January 18th, 2018, 07:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

The black plastic tank is the correct washer tank. The white tank is aftermarket. The glass bottle is factory.
Old January 18th, 2018, 02:20 PM
Oldsdruid

The core support location behind RH headlight is correct, but a tech bulletin came out addressing freezing problems in that location. Solution? Move it to the firewall above the distributor. My blue 64 had that modification but I didn't like it so moved it back to the correct location.

Guess back then people used either water or heavily diluted W/W fluid and it froze. I don't dilute it in any vehicle that the washer works. And none of my old GM stuff with the ratchet pump has a working washer!

Can you still get rebuild kits for those things?
Old January 18th, 2018, 02:31 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rocketraider
And none of my old GM stuff with the ratchet pump has a working washer!

Can you still get rebuild kits for those things?
You can, but you can also get this electric pump (Trico 11515) that replaces the ratchet pump on GM wiper motors. Under $9 at RockAuto.

Old January 18th, 2018, 03:08 PM
Oldsdruid

Son Volt at the neat stuff I've learned about the last few days! First the electric choke at NAPA and now this Trico washer pump! Love it!

Joe, I need to call you about the wagon nose parts. I sent a text a couple weeks back but it may not have gone thru.
Old January 19th, 2018, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
The core support location behind RH headlight is correct, but a tech bulletin came out addressing freezing problems in that location. Solution? Move it to the firewall above the distributor. My blue 64 had that modification but I didn't like it so moved it back to the correct location.
Thanks for the info. Very interesting about the tech bulletin. Attached is a stock net picture, I assume with that modification? Def not a "good" look. Is that plumber's strap?? So when it is mounted behind the headlight, how did the hose run to the pump? Over the passenger wheelwell to the firewall, or across the front to the driver's side wheelwell? I have not seen good images of that routing yet.
Attached Images
Old January 19th, 2018, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by awspeich
I have not seen good images of that routing yet.
Perhaps I spoke too soon! Is this the routing for the washer line? Really, hanging loose once it leaves the wheelwell?
Attached Images
302721_dfc9b676d5_low_res.JPG (117.0 KB, 35 views)
Old January 20th, 2018, 06:06 PM

Yes
Old January 25th, 2018, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The white tank is aftermarket.
That picture of the green Starfire is mine. White tank is hooked up to the radiator overflow, right at the bottom.

I wouldn't know if it was factory or not, but it sure looks it.

I think these radiators all have an overflow hose. If not such a tank, what is the stock overflow? Hose directly to ground?
Old January 25th, 2018, 02:04 PM

The overflow line goes down the pass side of the tank to the ground. I always forget and add to much coolant and get irritated when I pull back into the garage after it heats up as it will find its level and **** it all over.
Old January 26th, 2018, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by MichiDan
That picture of the green Starfire is mine.
Ahh the power of the internet...sorry for using your 'stock' photo ..not even sure where I grabbed it from.

I figured the overflow bottle was installed later. Mine has the overflow tube as noted going down to the bottom of the car. In place of your white bottle, I have the clear glass washer fluid jar.

My jar is original I think, stamped 1961 in the Detroit made glass, but it has no paper label left. I see several of these out there, B&W, yellow/B&W, red/blue/B&W, etc. Which label was correct for 1964? Thanks! - Al
Old January 29th, 2018, 09:57 AM

Al, no worries and sorry to hijack the thread. I've been wondering about that tank since I got the car. There aren't many online pictures of this corner underhood.

So my first reaction was to yank that overflow tank and get a washer bottle for it. But I took at look at it this weekend and couldn't do it. It's perfectly functional. At least for now it stays.
Old January 30th, 2018, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by MichiDan
There aren't many online pictures of this corner underhood.

So my first reaction was to yank that overflow tank and get a washer bottle for it.
True ...it's hard to find an original view in this corner. You mention getting a washer bottle for it. Do you have any leads on these? I have not been able to find any reproduction or used ones for that matter. Thanks. - Al
Old February 2nd, 2018, 03:04 PM
Oldsdruid

You'll see a series of retainers along a groove in the passenger fenderwell. The washer hose runs back to the firewall under those in the groove and then goes thru another set of retaining hooks on the firewall before ending up at the washer pump. That plastic channel just behind the aircleaner is part of the routing too.
Old April 5th, 2018, 10:47 AM
Captain Starfire

Possible help

Guys, I've been taking pictures of the car at every stage of disassembly to help with reassembly. I do think that everything you see here is factory, except for the levels of disassembly! Maybe some of these can shed some light on your quandary. Only thing is that my car has neither air nor cruise....

Old April 5th, 2018, 10:50 AM
Captain Starfire

A few more

This will show the firewall mounting for the most part... Again, this is factory to the best of my knowledge.