Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

Don't know what this is for!

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2017, 02:22 PM

Don't know what this is for!

Can anyone tell me the purpose of this part? it has a nipple at one end which fits into the rear of the passenger side exhaust manifold, and an open cup at the other end which sits above the valve cover.
Old August 3rd, 2017, 04:08 PM
Old(s) Fart

It is the hot air choke stove for the choke on the carb. The 215 doesn't have an exhaust crossover under the carb, so this is where the hot air came from to operate the bimetallic coil in the choke housing.
Old August 4th, 2017, 07:14 AM

There should be a filter in the cup. The other end plugs into a port on the right side exhaust manifold between the head and the firewall.
Old August 4th, 2017, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
It is the hot air choke stove for the choke on the carb. The 215 doesn't have an exhaust crossover under the carb, so this is where the hot air came from to operate the bimetallic coil in the choke housing.
I don't understand how it works the choke?? It's connected to the exhaust manifold on one side and vented to the atmosphere on the other. It doesn't connect to the carb in any way.
The pipe for the choke exits the choke housing and taps into the same manifold between no'4 and no' 6 cylinder
Old August 4th, 2017, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ancient Iron
I don't understand how it works the choke?? It's connected to the exhaust manifold on one side and vented to the atmosphere on the other. It doesn't connect to the carb in any way.
The pipe for the choke exits the choke housing and taps into the same manifold between no'4 and no' 6 cylinder

Iron: I agree with your comment about the pipe between the choke and the manifold, but what is the purpose of the pipe with the cup at the end.. and what type of filter does it need?
Old August 4th, 2017, 01:52 PM

As far as I can tell It was some sort of vent pipe. The parts books only list it as "pipe" with a part no. and a separate no. for the filter.
If you look at the right side exhaust manifold there should be two ports on it.
Old August 4th, 2017, 02:21 PM

I looked in the repair manual and it lists it as a "Choke air inlet pipe"????
I personally never saw this setup on any other car. I wonder if they used it on Specials and Skylarks.