Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

1965 Starfire 4 Speed Convertible

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2018, 05:49 AM
mmmm, starfires

I found a numbers correct 4GC Carburetor on ebay (score!) and had it sent direct to a guy named "Sparky" in Wisconsin. He's a wizard with carburetors.

Old March 15th, 2018, 05:50 AM
mmmm, starfires

Old March 16th, 2018, 04:57 PM
"me somebody" site member

That extra port for the auto trans vacuum modulator is missing on the manual shift cars - pretty sure you can use a duplicate of the port on the back of the carb there for 4 speed application.

Old March 17th, 2018, 06:27 AM
mmmm, starfires

Carburetor is finished. Total cost $425

Old July 31st, 2019, 12:19 PM
mmmm, starfires

Update time.

Last week I went out to get my favorite car ever washed. This car has Ludicrous mode and is stupid fast

I stopped by the upholstery shop. They had sent me a bill for some work so I wanted to see what was done. Unfortunately, a lot of it was work you can't really see much progress on. Just fabbing new door panels

Reconditioning seat frames and springs

And a bulk of the time has been rewiring the car from the previous hack job.

I will be bringing them an entire parts car in 2 days for them to strip the entire interior of what they may need, and I will bring the rest home for future use. The parts car is a Northeast car and the frame literally cracked in half towing it home to VA. It's done.

In some sad news, if you guys ever saw my station wagon build thread:

https://offtopic.com/threads/project...wagon.5508627/

My good friend Otto that did all the chassis, engine, and wiring work on the car is losing his battle with Leukemia after a courageous 2 year battle. He is at the point where he has accepted his fate, and is liquidating his assets while he still can. This means I was able to purchase his 2005 Pontiac GTO. He purchased this car new, and did a bunch of upgrades to it over the years. The upgrades include:

• Magnusson TVS1900 Supercharger
  • Roller rockers and beehive springs
  • 2" Primary headers and full exhaust
  • Full Pedders suspension
  • Custom gauge package
  • GMM Shifter
  • Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump
Among other things. This car has 14,100 miles and is in immaculate condition. I am the new caretaker of this awesome car. Bittersweet, but worth it. I got the appropriate paperwork so I can have his license plates transferred to me, and kept on the car. He even built an amazing Factory 5 Ford Roadster. Not the best pic but thought it was cool with the sun coming through

Thats all for now. Will update with convertible updates as they happen.
Old January 17th, 2020, 09:16 PM
mmmm, starfires

I went to the shop last week and had a stern talk with them. They had a bunch of issues (multiple deaths in the family, health issues etc) that delayed work on my car. I told them I will need to see some work very soon. They apologized and got on it right away.

Door panels being made

Seats are being built

These tan pieces were missing. I figured I was SOL on finding a pair. A Pontiac buddy of mine had a pair from a 66 Bonneville. They will work perfectly. The ashtrays are too small but the panel can be cut for my ashtrays to fit

Fun fact: my 4 speed console is actually a 3 speed console! I guess the 3 speed manual was the "free" transmission that all cars came with. An automatic of 4 speed were extra cost. If you decided to get a 4 speed, they would drill the console and install this plate.

After inspecting the chrome and stainless trim inside the car (and there is a lot of it) we are sending it out to. It really is going to set the car off, fresh bright chrome against the brand new white leather.

All new weatherstripping has been ordered from Steele Rubber. Chrome and stainless should be back in a couple months.
Old January 17th, 2020, 09:27 PM
mmmm, starfires

Seats are done. 70 hours total start to finish

Door panels are done, just waiting for the chrome and stainless which should be back in 5 to 6 weeks. I found out that Dans Polishing in Tennessee is doing the brightwork. Check out their site, they do AMAZING work

http://danschrome.com/

Old January 18th, 2020, 05:04 AM
Administrator

Sweet ride
Old March 27th, 2020, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by justintiime
...Last week I went out to get my favorite car ever...
You're likely to retract that claim, once the Starfire's finished.
If I had seen this thread earlier, I would have asked why you didn't just upgrade it to a Quadrajet and manifold and get that remaining horsepower added on in '66. If you're just interested in restoring it (well, I guess one can forget doing that, now that it's equipped with the four-speed), then that would spoil it, in this case.
Is the air conditioning original or has it been retro-fitted. I've always wondered why anyone would order this option on a convertible
Old March 27th, 2020, 05:32 AM
mmmm, starfires

This will be my 2nd convertible with factory air.
Old March 27th, 2020, 08:36 AM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Killian_Mörder
Is the air conditioning original or has it been retro-fitted. I've always wondered why anyone would order this option on a convertible
Having owned several convertibles , I can tell you this .
Driving around town at 30 MPH with the top down is fun .
But , driving at 70 MPH on a long trip on the highway , the sun and wind will beat you to death . Especially if you are in the back seat .
That's when you put the top and windows up and turn on the A/C .
Old March 30th, 2020, 09:44 AM

That car is so sweet. I had a 65 Starfire 4 spd Hardtop in 1973. I was just a 17 yr old kid. I wrote Oldsmobile and got a actual reply from, I believe, Helen Early about the # of 4spd Starfires there were and I believe the 120 some # was correct. I didn't keep that letter or the car. I bought it for $125.00 needing a clutch but still drivable. Sold it for about the same when clutch went out completely.... Ahh well......
Old April 2nd, 2020, 11:10 AM

My girlfriend had a beautiful red 66 Starfire and several times she "borrowed" my red 69 bench seat 4-speed 442 and her and her girlfriends went out cruising. I did not MIND at all cruising in the Starfire...in fact the Starfire was quicker on a street drag over my 69 long stroke 400. That car could not get out of it's own way...

Old April 3rd, 2020, 01:18 PM
mmmm, starfires

Pulled out the windshield to paint the dash, and found a surprise!

Nasty hidden rust. Sent the car to a local fabricator and he cut it all out and welded in new metal. You'd be hard pressed to tell it was repaired!

Finally got all my interior chrome and stainless back from Tennessee, and it. looks. amazing. Its going to really pop against the white leather!

New top and glass rear window installed!

Old April 7th, 2020, 05:13 PM

Cowl tag?

I followed the thread but am still a bit confused. Should a fact 4 speed Starfire have 2L and M20 on the tag or not? I do not see either on the tag pic justintime posted.
Old April 7th, 2020, 05:56 PM

Mr Thompson I ended up buying that white starfire convertible you’re talking about. It was white, correct? That gentleman passed away and I bought the car from his widow and shipped it to Ohio where I’m restoring it. I know this because it was in Forbestown CA and needed the front script (and a lot more frankly). I’ll be done sometime this summer. I’ll share pics.
Old April 8th, 2020, 03:55 AM
mmmm, starfires

Originally Posted by mdh157
I followed the thread but am still a bit confused. Should a fact 4 speed Starfire have 2L and M20 on the tag or not? I do not see either on the tag pic justintime posted.
As I have done more research and spoke with more "experts" on these cars, it seems that 2L was NOT mandatory on the firewall plate. It all boiled down to where the car was assembled. Some plants put a 2L and some plants put nothing!
Old April 8th, 2020, 06:08 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by justintiime
As I have done more research and spoke with more "experts" on these cars, it seems that 2L was NOT mandatory on the firewall plate. It all boiled down to where the car was assembled. Some plants put a 2L and some plants put nothing!
While I can't say that I know the details on the "2L" code, it is well known that the various assembly plants were not consistent in the use of the cowl tag codes. It's well documented that Fremont did not use the 4V or 5V codes that designate the 442 option, for example. It would not surprise me to find a similar story for other ACC codes. Of course, some plants like Lansing DID use the codes, so (as an example) if one had an alleged 4spd car from Lansing that does not have the 2L code, it probably wasn't factory built that way.
Old April 8th, 2020, 06:25 AM

Thank you guys for clearing that up. Absent the cowl codes, what other methods can I use to determine if a car is an original 4 speed?

Old April 8th, 2020, 09:05 AM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by mdh157
Thank you guys for clearing that up. Absent the cowl codes, what other methods can I use to determine if a car is an original 4 speed?
A sales order / invoice , a window sticker , and maybe a body broadcast card .
Old April 8th, 2020, 09:36 AM

I don’t have any of those. Gotta be some other way. Is the shifter hole different than an automatic car?
Old April 10th, 2020, 04:44 PM

Great car! I've always liked the full-sized cars especially with a manual transmission. Very rare and unusual to see. There is a dark blue 1963 or 64 Buick Wildcat in my area that has a 4-speed. I see it all the time at some of my local shows. I've also seen a 1969 Impala SS 427 with a 4-speed. Also, dark blue.

Old April 12th, 2020, 07:35 AM
mmmm, starfires

Stopped by the upholstery shop Friday to drop off a payment, and put my eyes on all the stainless trim I had professionally polished. Holy **** does it look amazing!

[IMG]https://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h29/Racer001/4%20Speed%20Convertible/20200410_130441_zpsjz0xql9l.jpg.html]

Old April 12th, 2020, 08:47 AM
Phantom Phixer

Probably better than new .
Old January 23rd, 2021, 06:25 AM
mmmm, starfires

Time for an update! Interior is 99% done! The car is currently at another shop to finish the rest of the mechanical and restoration work.

Dug out a good set of "N93" option wheel covers. These covers are common, and they bolt on to a specific steel wheel. The steel wheels are impossible to find, and sometimes cost $1000 per wheel if you are lucky enough to find some. Going off of a message board post from 2001, I contacted a guy that had multiple sets. He was amazed I found his post, and I was amazed he still had 1 set left! They were not perfect, but workable.

Before

After-ish. needs a little more polishing

Dash is out, prepared to go back in

The Dash has been reconditioned. All the trim polished, and the dash repainted

Sourcing this 1965 Air Conditioning specific air box was a real bitch

I probably have the nicest 1965 Starfire floor mats on the planet at this point. These mats are sewn into the carpet. Finding these mats is near impossible. Out of 6 total parts cars, I had only 2 good mats. I reached out to all my Olds buddies and was able to score 2 more mats. Again, these are 1965 specific. The stainless trim is always beat to ***** or missing. I have to admit, this whole car is a pain in the *** to restore.

Old January 23rd, 2021, 06:26 AM
mmmm, starfires

This is the first time the car has been washed in about 30 years. It has a decent shine to it. After I have my buddy work his paint correction magic, it will look even better. Its currently a 20 footer, hoping to make it a 10 footer lol

And here we go....a finished interior!!

If you read back, when the car arrived at the upholstery shop, it was running like ****. After the upholstery shop replaced all the vacuum lines in the car, it runs like a top now!

The current shop is going to:

- straighten the rear bumper, possibly rechrome it

-new clutch and bellhousing

-undercoat the bottom of the car

-splatter paint the trunk to look factory

-install the N93 wheels

-remove red painted tailpipes and have them chromed back to stock

-install proper shifter and linkage

-test drive the hell out of it!
Old January 23rd, 2021, 11:27 AM

Looking good. Do you have a sleeve of some kind on your shifter arm?
Old January 23rd, 2021, 11:30 AM
mmmm, starfires

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Looking good. Do you have a sleeve of some kind on your shifter arm?
So, the shifter in the car was very rusty. The upholstery shop bead blasted the rust and put a primer on it.

I have another rechromed shifter handle to install, but it requires new linkages to be installed, and that is outside the scope of the upholstery shops work. so, they did this just to keep it looking a little better than it was
Old March 6th, 2021, 10:52 AM
mmmm, starfires

Checked out the car the other week. Lots of progress. This shop has installed a new Dual master cylinder (because safety) as well as a new, proper, 4 speed brake booster. Notice how the booster is spaced off the firewall to clear the clutch linkages? This booster is real hard to find, and apparently some redneck place in West by God Virginia had one. No clue how they tracked it down, but kudos to them. They ran all new hard brake lines to all the wheels, and replaced the rear pinion seal as well.

Also,

They installed a new clutch, and the proper bellhousing I sourced off ebay. The clutch only had 3 loose bolts installed in it, and the bellhousing had a window cut in the bottom of it. Not sure why, but it needed to be fixed the right way.

It appears I have a valve cover leak. The chrome ones will be replaced with OEM, and the oil leak will be solved.
Old April 2nd, 2021, 05:55 AM
mmmm, starfires

Resto shop is still chipping away at my list, slow and steady. Not much to take photos of, but I did score some new wheels! These are option code N93 wheels. The steel wheels are extremely hard to find, and have 8 holes in them. 5 to mount to the car, and 3 to mount the magnesium cap to the wheel, then the spinner snaps in place. Back in the day most people threw these away in favor of chrome torq thrust or similar wheels. Finding one wheel is impossible. Finding a complete set of 5 is a miracle. Finding wheels, caps, and spinners all in 9/10 original condition is unheard of, but I did it. I could not find anything on Google, so tried DuckDuckGo and found some results. I found some pictures in an OLD thread from 2001, emailed the dude, and 2 days later he replied and said he forgot all about them. He took some recent photos and shared them with me and on another site as well. This instantly got attention from some other buyers. The only reason I ended up with them is I was willing to go against my better judgement and send him postal money orders as he did not have paypal. I used to buy everything with money orders in the early 2000s before I had paypal so I figured why the hell not. Here is what I received.

Old April 2nd, 2021, 06:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

I am amazed that you found a set of the correct steel wheels. Well done. Better go play the lottery now before your luck changes.
Old April 2nd, 2021, 06:53 AM
mmmm, starfires

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I am amazed that you found a set of the correct steel wheels. Well done. Better go play the lottery now before your luck changes.
me too!
Old April 3rd, 2021, 11:40 AM

X3!!
Old June 12th, 2021, 07:11 AM
mmmm, starfires

Factory steering wheel is toast

I opted to restore an optional wood wheel

Dropped my bumpers off at Tri City Plating and my trim pieces at a nearby refinisher in Elizabethton, TN

Got my trim pieces back....they look better than new!

Old June 12th, 2021, 07:12 AM
mmmm, starfires

Tail pipes had the red paint stripped off and polished back to OEM finish. console is fully assembled. Temporary steering wheel installed minus horn button, and just look at that glorious door panel

Old June 12th, 2021, 07:42 AM
Phantom Phixer

Excellent job !
The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter .
Old June 12th, 2021, 07:43 AM
mmmm, starfires

yes sir! I was told the car would be "ready" to go for the 2021 olds nationals in nashville but I would need to bring the car back to get the AC working. I think I will just leave the car at the shop until its done, and attend the nationals without a car. I will debut it in 2022 depending where the nationals are held
Old June 12th, 2021, 08:01 AM
Phantom Phixer

I think you're right in doing that , no sense rushing toward a deadline . Especially if you want things " just right " .

I thought I was going to have my '63 done for Nashville too .
But seeing that it presently needs front sheetmetal , doors , trunk lid , and complete interior except seats , I'm sure that it will be 2022 .
Maybe I'll see you there ( wherever ) .
Old June 16th, 2021, 04:55 PM
mmmm, starfires

so I think I have located a seat core with all the power seat pieces I would need, but the wiring is long gone. Any ideas where I might find the proper pigtails, and wiring diagrams to put this in my car?
Old June 16th, 2021, 05:41 PM
Phantom Phixer

Is the seat wiring part of the electric window wiring ?
If so , then maybe Lectric Limited my help . Best to call and talk with them .
Search results for: '1965 OLDSMOBILE FULLSIZE' (lectriclimited.com)

Quick Reply: 1965 Starfire 4 Speed Convertible