Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

Eventual trans replace in Starfire

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2017, 12:30 PM

Eventual trans replace in Starfire

My 64 starfire is new to me, and one of the hard to things to get used to has been the slim jim automatic. Based on what I've read here, I'm doing Ok. It actually shifts pretty good and is in adjustment. So I'm certainly not yanking it out anytime soon. I'm just not crazy about the large 1st/2nd gap (or call it 2nd/3rd if you prefer).

If it ever does go south I think I would go a different route. I've seen a few threads here about a nice conversion kit to a 700R, and that's good to know. But I think I'd be real tempted to go with a 4 speed.

So indulge me here. As far as I know there were no 4 speed starfires in 1964. But if I was keeping my eyes open for factory parts, did any 88s or other full size cars offer a stick?
I don't mind fab work and have done plenty. But I'd want to do it as stock looking as possible. I'm sure I can get a flywheel and clutch assembly for a 394. I don't know if the engine is internally balanced, is it?
Is there a pedal assembly that fits? Clutch linkage? What would the ideal donor car be for as much as possible of what I need?

Last edited by MichiDan; May 12th, 2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old May 12th, 2017, 12:58 PM

Dan, I imagine there was a manual option for Oldsmobiles in 64; however, I doubt it was the same manual as the venerable 4 speed "Muncie Rock-crusher."

Apparently, others have already done what you've thought of. Check it out:

http://www.transmissionadapters.com/early_olds.htm

Also, don't forget that the 700R4 is a 4 speed transmission. Plus, an automatic will shift more regularly than a standard any day. I know it's not the same as rowing through the gears of a manual though. Then again the only manuals I've driven are a 91 Hyundai Excel and a late model Toyota Hilux right-hand drive truck while I was in Afghanistan.
Old May 12th, 2017, 01:03 PM

You could find a 88 or super 88 with a 3 on the tree but not a starfire or 98. I don't know of any with a 4 speed on the floor but the console should have enough room to achieve this.
The new clutches available for the slim jim will allow you to keep the original transmission and will last a long time.
Steve
Old May 12th, 2017, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Try Ross Racing for trans adapters.
http://rossracingengines.com/c/11/ol...early-catalog/
Old May 12th, 2017, 01:36 PM

I've drag raced both automatics and 4 speeds. An auto is always more consistent. But I'm never taking this car down the strip. I got it for fun, and I think a 4 speed in this big car would be a heck of a good time. It doesn't necessarily make sense.

I find that the winters get long around here and I need a project. If done right, I think a 4 speed starfire would be a real conversation piece. But like I say, just brain storming for now.

Good adaptor link! And i'll sort of keep an eye out for any 88 parts cars that come along.
Old May 12th, 2017, 10:06 PM

394's are externally balanced so there would have to be work done on the flywheel of a first generation 324 if you went to a 3 speed which was weak to begin with, I doubt it would survive long behind a 394 with any kind of aggressive driving.

They did build a few(very few) stick Starfire 64 cars and there is a thread on this subject somewhere on this forum maybe someone could find it, I couldn't and as I remember they are as scares as hens teeth ... Tedd

Found a link for a 63 this may help some. Also the later 3 speeds were Dearborne transmissions which were a Ford product

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...8-4-speed.html

Last edited by Tedd Thompson; May 12th, 2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old May 13th, 2017, 10:17 AM

Oldsmobile did offer a 3-speed syncromesh transmission. I know, as my 1960 with a 394 c.i. engine had one from the factory. It was 3-on-the-tree.

Never saw a floor shift. Nor am I aware of the availability of any 4-speed option
Old May 13th, 2017, 11:32 AM

The four speed was available in '65, is the 425 a progression of the 394 or a different design altogether? Does it have the same bolt pattern for the trans?
Old May 13th, 2017, 11:37 AM
Rocket Renegade!

The 425 would be a whole other ballgame.
Old May 13th, 2017, 01:13 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
Never saw a floor shift. Nor am I aware of the availability of any 4-speed option
The three speed and four speed MT floor shift was only available in the Jetstar 88 behind the 330 motor in 1964 full size cars.

Old May 13th, 2017, 01:27 PM

Keep using the search button, there have been other threads on this subject. No factory installation but I think a few successful swaps. Not easy though, start your parts search now...
Old May 13th, 2017, 10:37 PM
Phantom Phixer

Actually , Olds did build a few 4 speed full size cars before 1965 .
For test purposes . They (or rather the B-W T-10 trans) failed the test .
The details are on this thread on the H.A.M.B. ;
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/....711270/page-2
read post #39 by Owen Thomas .

I , myself am building a '63 Dynamic 88 hardtop with a 4 speed stick . (one of none ) ;
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...storation.html
I started out with the idea of adapting Pontiac pedals . However , I was very lucky and after searching for 5 years , I found a set of 63 Olds brake and clutch pedals and clutch linkage .
Olds stick shift parts are extremely rare . Less than one percent of Olds full size cars then were built with stick shift . Less than one percent of those still exist after 50 some years.

Pontiac pedals are a little more prevalent and are even being re-produced ;
https://fabcraftmetalworks.com/produ...kage-Assembly/
Someone with the fabricating skills of McGuyver may be able to make them work .
The best part about Pontiac pedals is that they will work with power brakes .
Olds are manual brake only .

And finally check out this thread ;
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-junkyard.html
This guy put a 4 speed in a 61 Olds "junkyard rescue" car.
Old May 15th, 2017, 11:08 AM

Asked and I received. Thanks guys, I've been reading. The same spec book Joe P copied the jetstar 88 page from doesn't show any manual trans for the Dynamic or Super 88 in 64. I'm sure I'd have to find a 63 or earlier parts car, but then taking the power brakes off my nice starfire would be a tough call. Or moving off into more non-Olds based solutions, which kind of takes the fun out of the idea for me.
Still swapping in a Turbo 350, even with a kit, is not trouble free or cheap either. I'm keeping it in mind.
Old May 15th, 2017, 11:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MichiDan
Asked and I received. Thanks guys, I've been reading. The same spec book Joe P copied the jetstar 88 page from doesn't show any manual trans for the Dynamic or Super 88 in 64.
That's because those pages only show OPTIONAL equipment. The base transmission was a column shifted three speed manual trans. Note the last sentence under Chassis Features.

Old May 15th, 2017, 11:39 AM

That helps ...Ok so they aren't thick on the ground. But parts did exist from the right year, body shell, and engine family.
Old May 15th, 2017, 12:21 PM
Old(s) Fart

1963-64 parts are identical. Don't hold your breath looking for them, however, and if you do ever find them, expect to pay stupid money. Frankly, you'll likely be far better off adapting a street rod pedal assembly and using a hydraulic clutch.
Old May 15th, 2017, 12:34 PM

The link posted to the 63 98 stick car is a build using other GM car parts, from a wrecker according to the person who owned it at the time it was on evil-bay. I did see a 64 Starfire at the Nationals in Dearborn Mi. back on 2008. The guy had a 394 with solid lifters and custom headers, 2-4 barrel carbs and a 4 speed.I didn't get any pictures but the car left an impression!
Old May 15th, 2017, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
1963-64 parts are identical. Don't hold your breath looking for them, however, and if you do ever find them, expect to pay stupid money. Frankly, you'll likely be far better off adapting a street rod pedal assembly and using a hydraulic clutch.

This would avoid the brake booster issue too. I could, god knows Summit knows my credit card number by heart.
But I don't think I would go down that road with my car. It's really, really stock and nice. If it couldn't be done as a phantom of how Olds would have offered it - stock console and everything - I'm far less interested in the project. All the advice and links you guys have put up here was what I needed to understand the feasibility of it.
It sure would be fun to row this big boat though.