Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

Need some help making the right engine/trans choice on my 63 F-85

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2017, 07:59 PM

Question Need some help making the right engine/trans choice on my 63 F-85

I have a 1963 Olds F-85 with no engine or trans. This was my dad's project car that he never finished. He was rebuilding them at the time and all the parts were lost.

It's 10 years later, I am determined and on the hunt. I'm looking for the correct engine to rebuild and squeeze some extra HP out of, maybe upgrade to a different transmission since I don't have even a core. I just want to make the right choices in the most cost effective way because this project needs a lot of parts.

So I've been looking at these 2 engines that are currently for sale. I'm hoping someone can help me determine which one is correct for my project.

Here's 1st one is local and I can pick it up. It's an engine/trans with an extra intake, but its expensive $1,200 obo

This one is just the engine. It's $500 with a dismantlers 6 month warranty, but its also $200 to deliver.

I don't even know if this is the best way to go? What would you guys do if you were in my situation?

Thanks,
Lionel
Old March 7th, 2017, 06:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Unless you want that 2x2 intake setup, I'd take the second one. It APPEARS to be a 4bbl motor, and has the correct flywheel and hub for the Rotohydromatic 5 (no, that is not a manual trans clutch, despite appearances). The warranty is good, but obviously if you have a problem, it costs you $200 to ship it back. It does imply that it runs as-is.

Is the local one a running motor? Have you tried negotiating the price? $1200 seems awfully high.
Old March 7th, 2017, 06:48 AM

The 215 engine should not be that hard to find.. You can get an engine from a Land Rover (not period correct) but easy enough to find.. I have an extra original '62 engine but am not ready to part with it just yet... But the Rover blocks are said to have a better casting.. That is what I built for my current project.

As for the Tranny... The OEM automatic is not a great tranny. Before I sold my other'62 I bought the conversion plate and fresh TH350 tranny to mount to the 215.. I still have the plate and the 350 that I am not going to use anymore..

If you decide you might want to pursue that route.. get a hold of me (off this forum I dont come here much) at my email torqueline@2strokeheads.com

Hope this helps good luck with the build.
Old March 7th, 2017, 06:50 AM

I think this add is close to me and I've seen it but the engine at 1200 claims to be a "fresh" rebuild. We're do you live.
Old March 7th, 2017, 06:57 AM

The Original transmission tunnel for our cars is so small and narrow that from my understanding you would need to make it bigger. Now that the engine is out go see what I mean. A t5, 700r (might be wrong,someone please correct me if I am) will be the closest guys but will still need some tinkering. Everything else, for example a th350 will need surgery.
Old March 7th, 2017, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by RocketRonnie
The Original transmission tunnel for our cars is so small and narrow that from my understanding you would need to make it bigger. Now that the engine is out go see what I mean. A t5, 700r (might be wrong,someone please correct me if I am) will be the closest guys but will still need some tinkering. Everything else, for example a th350 will need surgery.
From my understanding... Just a small hump alteration.. The one I have is a low profile 350.. I compared it to my original tranny and they are close in dimensions.. ..I just always hated the stock tranny.. It robbed power like crazy and just was not a nice tranny IMO..
Old March 7th, 2017, 03:05 PM
Old(s) Fart

I think a TH200 actually comes close to fitting with no mods to the floor. Yeah, it's a weak trans, but likely more than strong enough for a 215.
Old March 7th, 2017, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Unless you want that 2x2 intake setup, I'd take the second one. It APPEARS to be a 4bbl motor, and has the correct flywheel and hub for the Rotohydromatic 5 (no, that is not a manual trans clutch, despite appearances). The warranty is good, but obviously if you have a problem, it costs you $200 to ship it back. It does imply that it runs as-is.

Is the local one a running motor? Have you tried negotiating the price? $1200 seems awfully high.
Thanks Joe, yeah I like the 2x2, I'm sure my dad wouldv'e liked it too. The local one claims it was running when it came out of the car 5 years ago. The price is negotiable but, not sure how low he's willing to go.
Old March 7th, 2017, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Torqueline
The 215 engine should not be that hard to find.. You can get an engine from a Land Rover (not period correct) but easy enough to find.. I have an extra original '62 engine but am not ready to part with it just yet... But the Rover blocks are said to have a better casting.. That is what I built for my current project.

As for the Tranny... The OEM automatic is not a great tranny. Before I sold my other'62 I bought the conversion plate and fresh TH350 tranny to mount to the 215.. I still have the plate and the 350 that I am not going to use anymore..

If you decide you might want to pursue that route.. get a hold of me (off this forum I dont come here much) at my email torqueline@2strokeheads.com

Hope this helps good luck with the build.
Thanks for the info, I also considered the Rover, pops would've like the increased cubic inches, but he also loved the way the engine looked, so I was thinking the Olds would be the better choice. For added HP maybe I can just have it bored and run a buick 300 crank? I'm just thinking ahead..
Old March 7th, 2017, 04:18 PM

There was a guy selling a turbo 215 that he said was a fresh rebuild, I emailed him for the price, he said $2000.

Thanks for that info! You know, I wouldn't mind going to a manual transmission, can that be done with less work on the tunnel?

Lionel
Old March 7th, 2017, 04:36 PM

If you can find the parts I think a manual swap would be easier, manuals tend to be smaller so they fit easier. I might be able to help with most of the manual swap parts. https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...***-parts.html

Last edited by young olds; March 7th, 2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old March 8th, 2017, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by young olds
If you can find the parts I think a manual swap would be easier, manuals tend to be smaller so they fit easier. I might be able to help with most of the manual swap parts. https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...***-parts.html
Yeah I like this idea, plus a manual is a lot more fun to drive! what are my options for manual transmissions?
Old March 8th, 2017, 09:26 AM

borg warner t5, t50 for small 5 speeds or any muncie/t10 4 speed tranny. newer tremec trannys seem to be on the larger side. i did have another member inquire about the pedal assembly and parts yesterday after i posted in this thread, not sold yet but he seems pretty interested. if he goes for it the flywheel will still be available as well as a 3 speed i pulled out of a 62, actually all theses parts came out of the same car.
Old March 10th, 2017, 09:49 PM

Nice, thanks. I really need to figure out an exact plan. It looks like the 1st engine is sold, I never got a response and now the post is gone.

I've been trying to set some goals I'd like to achieve with this car, but I don't know if it's even possible with the 215.

My dad got started on this olds when we were restoring the Max Wedge cars for Mosher's. So that was my initial goal, a compact Super Stock type car. I wanted to do something that pays homage to that era of racing, but this car doesn't seem to be a good candidate.

I don't know where to go from here, any advise would be greatly appreciated. What would it take to make a naturally aspirated 63 F85 that can pull at least a 13 second 1/4 mile? Is something like this even feasible with these unibody cars?

for reference, this is the type of look I wanted to to go with on dads f-85, but it needs an engine that fits the bill. I know its not an olds, but it's kinda close...

Last edited by carbizguy; March 10th, 2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old March 10th, 2017, 11:10 PM

To run those numbers you at least need to do a rear end swap, a 215 can break a stock rear plus no gears and posi available, and I'd prolly run a 330-350-403 if you want to make one fit or else you'll need to run a boosted 215-4.0-4.6, I don't think an na 215 would be a very friendly motor to push a 63 into low 13's. My all stock 62 would only do a mid 9 1/8 mile
Old March 10th, 2017, 11:59 PM

on craigslist right now theirs a 215 , buick tho. for 350$. in LA or the OC.
Old March 11th, 2017, 12:20 AM

youngolds i used to drive a car with a swaped engine. 83monte carlo with a swaped in 350 cast heads. and the car had ***** but the weight in the front did feal a little wierd going into turns but still worth it..
you know i gotta spare 63 with no tranny/engine and just like CARBiizguy i have the same aspirations as him, and as you because even you are adding big power to your 62 f85.

one of my big deals..(many big deals with this swap) but im still up for it, is the added weight to the front. 215 engine weights 330lbs or so, and these other engines weigh up to 200-380lbs more. thats 330lbs plus X.
so thats my question..how do I get that 50/50 weight distribution felling back?

honestly i have been searching for engines like crazy lately. different combos, aluminum. you know today I considered the GM alluminun I6 for the years 2000-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada 4.3 L Vortec 4300 V6. im telling you this is going to get done, little by little and by any means.
Old March 11th, 2017, 12:29 AM

To run those numbers you at least need to do a rear end swap, a 215 can break a stock rear plus no gears and posi available, and I'd prolly run a 330-350-403 if you want to make one fit or else you'll need to run a boosted 215-4.0-4.6, I don't think an na 215 would be a very friendly motor to push a 63 into low 13's. My all stock 62 would only do a mid 9 1/8 mile
Thank you, that's exactly the kind of info I needed. Seems like a pretty tall order to squeeze that out of the 215 then. Looks like I will have to re-think my goals, again...
Old March 11th, 2017, 12:37 AM

your welcome. check out mickey tompson 1962 215v8 if you have a big budget
Old March 11th, 2017, 07:46 AM

If you can find one, a 64 Buick 300 cubic inch (5Liter) would be ideal. They were a cast iron block with aluminum heads and only about 80-90 lbs heavier then the 215. Put the battery in the trunk, run an aluminum radiator and a mini starter and the difference in weight on the front end would be minimal. The best part is that it will bolt right in with hardly any modification whatsoever and it will have the BOP bell housing pattern. Motor mounts are the same, accessories mount right on, water pump in & out the same, in other words a drop in.
Just saying......
Old March 11th, 2017, 08:14 AM

1970-w30, thanks that advice is real good. Because that's another thing I needed answered that 300 swap for the 215 geometry, I have however located a 1965 300buick I Been giving the side eye to lol. All ideas are welcomed.
Old March 11th, 2017, 08:39 AM

Remember, the 65 Buick 300 had cast iron heads, while the 64 came with aluminum heads. The 65 engine will be heavier because of this........
Old March 11th, 2017, 09:28 AM

You could do a Buick 300 but then you have a Buick motor in your olds. I'm an olds guy and more so the engines then there cars, if I ever put a non olds engine in anything it would be a modern engine. You might look into a Lexus 1uz, all aluminum 4.0 but then why not just get a rover 4.6. The problem with making these fast is, there is no doubt you can fit an engine to push it as fast as any other car out there but then there's everything else you have to do to the car so it can handle it. Even at 250+hp I'd want to at least swap the year end
Old March 11th, 2017, 09:34 AM

your welcome. check out mickey tompson 1962 215v8 if you have a big budget
The engine he built for Indy? Have you looked into the repco brabham rb620? It's an olds 215 an Australian f1 team used but with sohc heads they built, they won an f1 championship in 66 and 67 with it, reportedly made 330hp area(they decreased the displacement of the engine from 3.5l to 2.0l)
Old March 11th, 2017, 10:21 AM

Youngolds I'll never put a non GM moter in a GM car. I'm too american for a Japanese or British moter, plus the olds 215 was invented by buick. Rovers cant win me over, there parts cost, there moters get bashed by everyone online, i cant find a local one in good shape or even alive, and I still haven't found someone who has done the swap. I think ill cry if see a Japanese moter in a GM lol. This is America. You know I got love for you so i hope my msg doesn't come off strong.
Old March 11th, 2017, 10:22 AM

Your right man, EVERYTHING has to be swapped as far as the rear, that does hurt the pocket some
Old March 11th, 2017, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by 1970-W30
If you can find one, a 64 Buick 300 cubic inch (5Liter) would be ideal. They were a cast iron block with aluminum heads and only about 80-90 lbs heavier then the 215. Put the battery in the trunk, run an aluminum radiator and a mini starter and the difference in weight on the front end would be minimal. The best part is that it will bolt right in with hardly any modification whatsoever and it will have the BOP bell housing pattern. Motor mounts are the same, accessories mount right on, water pump in & out the same, in other words a drop in.
Just saying......
Thanks this is great info, and a solid option!! I figure I was willing to run a buick crank ect. why not consider the engine. I really appreciate the input.

You could do a Buick 300 but then you have a Buick motor in your olds. I'm an olds guy and more so the engines then there cars, if I ever put a non olds engine in anything it would be a modern engine. You might look into a Lexus 1uz, all aluminum 4.0 but then why not just get a rover 4.6. The problem with making these fast is, there is no doubt you can fit an engine to push it as fast as any other car out there but then there's everything else you have to do to the car so it can handle it. Even at 250+hp I'd want to at least swap the year end
Yeah the Rover is still something I am considering, especially since it's the offspring of the olds/buick 215. Just need to weigh my options and try to consider all my costs.. especially since I will need to pour money into the brakes, suspension, steering rear end, trans... Yeah basically everything else.
Old March 11th, 2017, 04:25 PM

Youngolds I'll never put a non GM moter in a GM car. I'm too american for a Japanese or British moter, plus the olds 215 was invented by buick. Rovers cant win me over, there parts cost, there moters get bashed by everyone online, i cant find a local one in good shape or even alive, and I still haven't found someone who has done the swap. I think ill cry if see a Japanese moter in a GM lol. This is America. You know I got love for you so i hope my msg doesn't come off strong.
Your good man haha, I couldn't run a non olds motor in anything unless it was a stock car that wasn't an olds. Gm did put Nissan rb30's in Holden's, I thought about doing a turbo straight 6 in my 66 instead of a v8. My choices were 2jz, rb30, gm atlas straight 6 or old school Pontiac ohc straight six that was based off the chevy straight 6. Couldn't find an ohc Pontiac, looked at a few atlas engines and quickly dismissed the Toyota and nissan.

Originally Posted by carbizguy
Thanks this is great info, and a solid option!! I figure I was willing to run a buick crank ect. why not consider the engine. I really appreciate the input.

Yeah the Rover is still something I am considering, especially since it's the offspring of the olds/buick 215. Just need to weigh my options and try to consider all my costs.. especially since I will need to pour money into the brakes, suspension, steering rear end, trans... Yeah basically everything else.
Take some time and think over what you really want to do. If you decide you don't want to do a ton of work keep the 215. If your feeling up to it do a sbo, tranny and rear swap. My 1st 62 was going to be a hot street car with full stock interior. After I did the first rear end swap and saw how the unibody was made, not all that strong, I ended up cutting everything out and just went full drag car
Old March 11th, 2017, 11:47 PM

That would be nice, but the problem is my project doesn't have an engine or trans.. my father was rebuilding it when he passed away and the car sat for 10+ years and all those parts disappeared...