Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

Trying to find out if my Olds is rare or common

Old November 27th, 2016, 07:33 AM

Talking Trying to find out if my Olds is rare or common

First off let me point out that I am not trying to sell or trade my car. I love this car and plan on handing it down to my grandson one day (He is one year old now) but it would be awesome for him to own a rare old car when hes old enough.

My Issue:

I have a 1973 Olds Omega 2 dr Hatchback with the KL3 Vin and from all the research I have done has shown it to be 1 of 53 that were produced in Van Nuys Cali. but this info has came from internet searches which at best has been wikipedia and a handful of other listings. I have had some Oldsmobile guys tell me this was correct info while I have had others tell me it was false.

Either way I will continue to restore, drive and love this car but it would be awesome to confirm this info or go ahead and disprove it. Its just driving me nuts wondering and unable to find out any LEGIT info.

Running the Vin is no help because it just gives you info you already know.

Guess I am hoping someone here might have A link or A number to some sort of certified authority on this subject.

I appreciate opinions but right now that would pretty much be just what I have at this point.... a bunch of contradicting opinions.

Like I said ...I'm not trying to beef up my cars appeal just to sell it or trade it. Just want to know everything about it so when I am at a show talking car talk I dont look like an idiot. Well any more than I would normally.

TY for any info
Marty
Old November 27th, 2016, 07:45 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

My brother had one of those. Straight-six and 3 on the column.

Best Chebby Nova they ever made!

I'd love to have one again, and I'm sure your grandson will love it as soon as he can reach the pedals.

I doubt that there were only 53 made at any of the plants, though.

Welcome to ClassicOlds.

- Eric
Old November 27th, 2016, 08:11 AM

Omega

TY Eric. Yeah I been having a hard time doing research on it. Half my info says one thing while half says another . Wish I could find A solid source of info
Old November 28th, 2016, 08:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

What, exactly is "KL3"? Is this part of the VIN or some other RPO designation?
Old November 28th, 2016, 08:09 AM
Old(s) Fart

Are you getting that from this Wiki entry?

The lone V8 option was Oldsmobile's 5.7L (350 cid) "Rocket" V8, which had a 4-speed manual as standard with the 3-speed automatic optional. V8 models with the eight VIN digit being the letter "K" received a 4-barrel Rochester carburetor. All other V8 engines received the standard 2-barrel version. There were also 53 Doctor Oldsmobile Omega's built in 73 all with vin code KL3 All were built in Van Nuys California and were sold at Century Oldsmobile in Van Nuys California.
First, don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia. Second, if you look at the VIN, the fifth position is the engine code, the sixth is the model year, and the seventh is the assembly plant. A 1973 Omega built in the Van Nuys plant with a 350 4bbl Olds motor would have the "K3L" in the fifth through seventh positions of the VIN. All this means is that it is a 350 4bbl motor in a 1973 built in Van Nuys and there were a LOT more than 53 of those cars made.

The Wiki entry is trying to say that there were allegedly 53 of these "Doctor Oldsmobile" dealer special cars built for Century Oldsmobile, which were nothing more than a decal and emblem package. All of those 53 were 350 4bbl cars built in Van Nuys, but these were not the ONLY 350 4bbl cars built there. Many, many more were built with the same K3L VIN code, just not with the "Doctor Oldsmobile" stickers.