Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

61 Starfire - what do i have?

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2017, 09:11 PM

Old March 19th, 2017, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by mjmyaire
How are they different? I have a hood molding that I thought was off a 62 and when I hold it up next to my 61 moldings they look the same.

The black rims then on a 61 starfire were gloss black then I would assume.

Under hood black? gloss?

I believe oldsfan I sent you my data plate info. I think I read on your site that some plants used different coding, 3 digits vs 2 on the 1962 cars. Since my 61 starfire has power antenna and A/C I was curious why my ACC area would be blank.

Your method of contacting me is not working. You have emails blocked on C/O in your settings. Contact me through this Thread here and I'll answer your questions....
Old March 20th, 2017, 07:00 AM

wanted to see if that A/C car at the salvage yard was still available, the one missing the front end parts.
Old March 20th, 2017, 11:30 AM

I believe it is. My understanding from the Wrecking yard owner is that he doesn't want to sell parts anymore from his carson in the yard but he would rather sell each car car as a whole unit.
Old March 20th, 2017, 08:52 PM

Can you send me his contact info
Old March 21st, 2017, 05:37 PM

'61 Olds contact

His name is Vic, and he has a Company name of Aero-tique and he is about thirty five miles north of Edmonton Alberta. The Phone Number is 708 942-2559. He is usually open 9:00 to 5:00 week days and sometimes Saturday mornings but not always.
Old March 21st, 2017, 06:14 PM

Thanks!
Old March 22nd, 2017, 08:39 AM
Bfg

I was thumbing thru " The Cars of Oldsmobile " by Dennis Casteele and saw different width of white walls for the 61 model line-up ranging from 1" to 3". These appeared to be factory photo's. The Ninety-Eight had 3" white walls and the Starfire had 1". Also the F-85 had the thinner white walls. Don't know what determined what got what?
Old March 22nd, 2017, 04:34 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Bfg
I was thumbing thru " The Cars of Oldsmobile " by Dennis Casteele and saw different width of white walls for the 61 model line-up ranging from 1" to 3". These appeared to be factory photo's. The Ninety-Eight had 3" white walls and the Starfire had 1". Also the F-85 had the thinner white walls. Don't know what determined what got what?
Since these were factory photos , I would figure that the model of car would determine the whitewall width .
In fact , I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Starfires got "special" 1 " wide whitewalls . While the rest of the full size cars got the "traditional" 3" whitewalls .

Last edited by Charlie Jones; March 22nd, 2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old April 14th, 2017, 12:10 PM

OA & OB transmissions for 61 Oldsmobiles

My understanding is the OB transmission was Starfire only and the OA was used for the other models. I have an OB-61-5529 which is fine and is getting new seals. My other OB turns out is junk and I need to find another for my other 61 Starfire. Does anyone know the differences between OA and the OB? My guess is O is for Oldsmobile since the slim Jim model 10 for Pontiac started with a P. I've found that the model 10 was used for the 61 - 64 model years. I read something a while back and can't find it now that the speedometer gearing was different and maybe some internal differences.
Old April 14th, 2017, 02:56 PM

My understanding is the OB transmission was Starfire only and the OA was used for the other models. I have an OB-61-5529 which is fine and is getting new seals. My other OB turns out is junk and I need to find another for my other 61 Starfire. Does anyone know the differences between OA and the OB? My guess is O is for Oldsmobile since the slim Jim model 10 for Pontiac started with a P. I've found that the model 10 was used for the 61 - 64 model years. I read something a while back and can't find it now that the speedometer gearing was different and maybe some internal differences.

The Full Size '63, & '64 Olds Speedometer was operated from the front left wheel and not from the Transmission.
Old June 12th, 2017, 12:56 AM

1961 98 or Starfire grill

Anybody have one or a lead? Also need some rubber parts, grommet for steering column at floor board, wiring harness grommet at fire wall, core support and inner fender mounting rubber. Still looking for original trunk tools.
Old June 12th, 2017, 11:49 AM
Phantom Phixer

My understanding is the OB transmission was Starfire only and the OA was used for the other models.
Yes, the OA trans was used with column shift cars . And the OB model was used for floor shift cars . I don't think there was any other differences .
All Oldsmobile model 10's will bolt up to a 61 thru 64 394 engine . As previously mentioned the 63 & 64 's did not have a provision for a speedometer drive .
Old December 3rd, 2017, 12:43 PM

1961 Starfire - correct steel wheels?

Trying to determine the correct 14x6 steel wheels for a '61 Starfire. Have it narrowed down to the two pictured.

The black wheel has three nubs, no stamping and the five inner "spokes" next to the lug holes do not have slots. This wheel has been found on 88's and on one of my Starfires.

The rusted wheel on the right is a full set on one of my other '61 Starfires, has no nubs and three of the "spokes" have slots and one spoke has an "NT" stamped in it.

Looking for some confirmation before I spend money on these sandblasting and powder coating..Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1776.JPG (2.11 MB, 11 views)
IMG_1778.JPG (2.08 MB, 13 views)
Old December 3rd, 2017, 01:34 PM

I was second owner of this CA sold new Lansing built December of '60 84K mile 1961 Starfire

had 5 of the same wheel on it - wheels may or may not have been the same on Starfires built at different assembly plants
Attached Images
c-o 61 starfire wheels.jpg (940.6 KB, 17 views)
c-o 61 starfire wheels A.jpg (453.5 KB, 16 views)
c-o 61 starfire wheels B.jpg (747.8 KB, 15 views)
Old December 3rd, 2017, 03:03 PM

Wink

Trying to determine the correct 14x6 steel wheels for a '61 Starfire. Have it narrowed down to the two pictured.

The black wheel has three nubs, no stamping and the five inner "spokes" next to the lug holes do not have slots. This wheel has been found on 88's and on one of my Starfires.

The rusted wheel on the right is a full set on one of my other '61 Starfires, has no nubs and three of the "spokes" have slots and one spoke has an "NT" stamped in it.

Looking for some confirmation before I spend money on these sandblasting and powder coating..Thanks!

The Shiny wheel is the correct 1961 Wheel as all Oldsmobiles '61 and '62 needed the lugs formed into the wheel for the poverty style Hub Cap that was often installed. The '61 and '62 Wheel were a solid wheel without slots where '63 and '64 had slots with tin snap-in pieces that filled the vent openings of the wheel.
Old December 3rd, 2017, 03:18 PM

Which wheel

That’s what I originally believed but then started getting conflicting information that these other wheels, the rusted ones, were correct. The fact that my black starfirecsme with a full set of the no nub 3 slots in the center section, wheels made it seem plausible that they were correct. Anyone recognize these rusted wheels with no nubs, stamped NT with three small slots in center section?

QUOTE=chequenman;1059672]The Shiny wheel is the correct 1961 Wheel as all Oldsmobiles '61 and '62 needed the lugs formed into the wheel for the poverty style Hub Cap that was often installed. The '61 and '62 Wheel were a solid wheel without slots where '63 and '64 had slots with tin snap-in pieces that filled the vent openings of the wheel. [/QUOTE]
Old December 4th, 2017, 02:45 PM

The first pic (w/nubs) is what is on my 62 Dynamic 88, and what I believe is correct for your 61 SF.

Old February 2nd, 2018, 11:27 PM

Any updates? Interested in the documentation of your resto.
Old March 6th, 2018, 09:49 AM

I have some wheels that are solid with GM stamped on the nubs and others do not. Also have the valve stem opposite a lug hole and on others not opposite the lug hole. Getting pretty absurdly type A on this but differences I've noticed.
Old March 6th, 2018, 09:56 AM

Frame stamp and markings on '61 Starfire

Old January 18th, 2019, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by jharsh
The think it should be under vehicle lineup - other vehicles. but everyone will see this post and someone with Starfire knowledge will reply.
Yeah.. "Other Oldsmobiles"..Not even under "Big Oldsmobiles"..They give 442 it's own forum, but won't give the Starfire it's own, even though they are both special performance models of a standard model.. Argument, the Starfire is the same as an 88..Other argument? The 442 is the same as a Cutlass. Other argument..Too much work to move the posts..Solution? I offered to move Starfire related posts..

Welcome to the Starfire club. Fun cars to own. Most people have no idea what they are. We were in a Christmas parade with ours and people loved it. I kept hearing from people along the route "Wow, what kind of car is that?" That was fun!
That said they can be a bit tough to find some trim related parts for. So make sure to join every forum and Facebook page you can. There is a very active Starfire FB page which is where I learned most of what prompted me to choose a 1965. Another cool thing, it's usually the only Starfire at the car show. Twice ours won "people's choice" even though there were much more valuable and nicer condition cars. You have what many consider the holy grail of Starfire of the 60's.
Cheers, John

Cheers,

John
Old January 18th, 2019, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by jonjonbear

Welcome to the Starfire club. Fun cars to own. Most people have no idea what they are. We were in a Christmas parade with ours and people loved it. I kept hearing from people along the route "Wow, what kind of car is that?" That was fun!
That said they can be a bit tough to find some trim related parts for. So make sure to join every forum and Facebook page you can. There is a very active Starfire FB page which is where I learned most of what prompted me to choose a 1965. Another cool thing, it's usually the only Starfire at the car show. Twice ours won "people's choice" even though there were much more valuable and nicer condition cars. You have what many consider the holy grail of Starfire of the 60's.
Cheers, John
I've taken my 63 Starfire out to shows and cruise-ins for the last 7 years, in all that time only two people actually knew what it was. I tell everyone they probably won't see another one like it and I think in all that time I've only seen one other 60s Starfire. I second John's recommendation of the Starfire FB page, a lot of good tech info available there.

Old January 18th, 2019, 07:54 PM

Then I want a special forum for us fifties guys. There isn't even a sub section that denotes Supers, post cars and Starfire's, gees I am hurt.... In reality we seem to get along just fine the way it is, it just takes a little education. How many Starfire's compared to fifties era cars are on this forum anyway........ Tedd
Old January 20th, 2019, 07:02 AM

How about a section for 88s that are -not- Starfires?

Last edited by D. Yaros; January 20th, 2019 at 07:57 PM.
Old January 20th, 2019, 02:28 PM
Oldsdruid

The 1" whitewall was used on two 1961 GM cars- the Oldsmobile Starfire and the Chevrolet Impala SS. I think they both used 8.00x14 though the heavier convertible Starfire may have used 8.50x14.

Diamondback Classics in SC can put any whitewall you wish on a tire, as long as you can find a casing in an appropriate size. Modern sizes corresponding to 8.00/8.50x14 will be 215/225-75R14 and those aren't easy to find either.
Old August 11th, 2020, 10:43 AM

Is there such a thing as a "Numbers Matching" 1961 Starfire?
-Like this eng # goes with body# goes with this trans#

Or is it just that you need to ID parts as 1961 394 and belonging to a Starfire to have a "matching" car?

Drivers head stamped above exhaust with L J 61-1845S
Intake# in front 580677
VIN tag
Style 61-3667. Body LA2104

Thanks
Trim 933. Paint C
AC. 554
Old August 11th, 2020, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by 62 Cutlass Convert
No. Not for any Oldsmobile prior to the 1968 model year. Starting that year, a derivative of the car's VIN, including the last six digits,which are unique to each car that year, was stamped on a pad on the engine and on the transmission. It is these numbers that must "match" the VIN in order for the engine and transmission to be "numbers matching" to the car itself.

Prior to 1968, the best you can do is to look at the date code on the engine, transmission, carb, etc. and see if they correspond to a date a few days or weeks prior to the date the car itself was assembled. If this is true, then it's likely that the engine and transmission are original. But there is no way to prove to 100% certainty that any particular Olds prior to 1968 was born with a particular engine or transmission.

Because of this, there is no value in using the word "matching" for a pre-1968 Oldsmobile as there is nothing that matches anything else.
Old August 11th, 2020, 11:01 AM

Thanks very much. I'll stop scratching my head and look for date codes and proper period pieces.

Are the numbers above for the head and intake look right for a 61 Starfire or do I need to look further for a number?

Haven't been able to get to the rear flange of the eng yet.
Old August 11th, 2020, 11:52 AM

I don't know how to translate most of those numbers, but I'm sure others will.

A few things I can tell you. The cowl tag 61-3667 translates as

61 = model year
36 = Starfire series
67 = convertible body style. All 1961 Starfires were convertibles, so all of them will have that number on their cowl tag.

Your car's VIN will start 616 where the first two digits are the model year while the third is the series (6 = Starfire). Then there is a letter indicating the plant where assembled and then a five-digit serial number.
Old August 11th, 2020, 11:53 AM

-Like this eng # goes with body# goes with this trans#

Or is it just that you need to ID parts as 1961 394 and belonging to a Starfire to have a "matching" car?

Intake# in front 580677
VIN tag

Thanks
Trim 933. Paint C
AC. 554
The only way to "match" numbers on Oldsmobiles of this era is with the original Protect-o-Plates for that car. The PoPs will show the VIN, the engine number and the transmission number for the car. If you have those plates for your car and all three numbers found on the car match the plates, then you can say you have a matching number car. If your plates are lost to time as most are (like mine) then you're out of luck and there is no concrete proof that the engine, or transmission is original to the car.
Old August 11th, 2020, 12:00 PM

Thanks.

Can you translate the Head and Intake numbers above?
Correct for a 61 Jetfire?

And what are the Protect-o-Plates?
That's what I call the plastic shield that you used to see protecting the license plate?
Old August 11th, 2020, 12:10 PM

And what are the Protect-o-Plates?
That's what I call the plastic shield that you used to see protecting the license plate?
Ha Ha! Good one.

No, the "protect-o-plate" was a credit card-sized piece of metal that was given to the original purchaser. It had his name as well as information about the car, including the VIN, embossed on it. They were supposed to be kept in the glove box to be used whenever the car was brought in for service. Like many other things that were in glove boxes originally, they tended to get lost over time, especially decades later, like now.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/pu...-o-plate-1.cfm

Last edited by jaunty75; August 11th, 2020 at 12:13 PM.
Old August 11th, 2020, 12:13 PM

Ah Ha!
Old August 11th, 2020, 08:17 PM
Phantom Phixer

Intake# in front 580677
VIN tag

Thanks
Trim 933. Paint C
AC. 554
As to the number stamped on the head , the last digit " S " signifies a Starfire engine .
The " J " indicates a high compression 4 barrel .
There should be a number " 23 " cast on the head .
Body LA2104 = 2104th body of that style assembled at Lansing MI .
Paint " C " = Provincial White . Color chip here ;
https://www.autocolorlibrary.com/pag...ldsmobile.html
Old August 12th, 2020, 06:56 AM

Thanks for the ID. Good news. I'll check for the 23

Is that a good number for the intake?

What other numbers should I be looking for to confirm 61 Starfire?