Other Oldsmobiles Anything not listed above, such as F-85 (1961-1963), Firenza (1982-1988), Starfire (1961-66 and 1975-80), Omega, etc.

Front end question for the 62 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2016, 07:22 PM

Front end question for the 62 Cutlass

Hello

So I am getting close to finishing my full restoration/daily driver 62 Cutlass with factory 4 speed car..

I just dropped the front end tonight and have a few questions that I am hoping you could help me with?

1)This car has had a replacement lower Control arm (Pass side) in its history.. The one I removed has the pressed in ball joint and speed nuts for the shock bolts.

Any have or know where to get the correct arm with the screw in balljoint and welded nuts for the shock? (new or used)

2)I would like to replace all 3 cross member mounts. Any idea where to get these?

3) The relay bar is something I have never seen before in terms on internals and connections..
Does a kit exist to replace these internals?

Thanks in advance

Kelsey

Last edited by Torqueline; May 9th, 2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old May 10th, 2016, 07:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

I responded to your PM, but here it is again for the benefit of everyone else.

1)This car has had a replacement lower Control arm (Pass side) in its history.. The one I removed has the pressed in ball joint and speed nuts for the shock bolts.

Do you know where to get the correct arm with the screw in balljoint and welded nuts for the shock?
The change from screw-in to press-in ball joints was a running change that varied by date and assembly plant. I suspect this was done as a cost savings measure on the assembly line. Unfortunately, no one makes replacement arms, so your only option is to find a good used one off of a parts car. The two designs are functionally equivalent, so the only reason to change would be optical, but I understand that.
2)I would like to replace all 3 cross member mounts. Any idea where to get these?
Unfortunately, I'm not aware of anyone reproing these mounts. I could use a set myself. I missed an N.O.S. set on ebay a while ago. Maybe if enough of us come together in a block buy, we could convince Fusick or Steele to run off a batch.

3) The relay bar/drag link is something I have never seen before in terms on internals and connections..

Does a kit exist to replace these internals?
There's no kit to replace the internals of the drag link because none is needed. The drag link has an adjustment screw on each end to allow you to take up any wear in the ball joints. This design was common in the 1950s and early 1960s, but was replaced by the more common centerlink design with the 1963 models. The "ball" part of the joints is machined into the idler arm and pitman arm, as well as on the inner tie rod ends, so if those parts are excessively worn, the only option is to find better ones. You will need a drag link socket, which is really just a large flat blade screwdriver socket, to adjust the drag link. I got mine at NAPA. Good luck.

Old May 10th, 2016, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Unfortunately, I'm not aware of anyone reproing these mounts. I could use a set myself. I missed an N.O.S. set on ebay a while ago. Maybe if enough of us come together in a block buy, we could convince Fusick or Steele to run off a batch.

I would be in for a set. I have the two back NOS but not a front.
Old May 10th, 2016, 01:49 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
I would be in for a set. I have the two back NOS but not a front.
Did you beat me on those ones on ebay?
Old May 10th, 2016, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Did you beat me on those ones on ebay?
I got them from eBay back in 2012. I remember seeing another set on there a while back but didn't pay any attention to them because I already had a set. I missed a front one about a year ago.