windlace convertible 70 supreme

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2015, 08:38 AM

windlace convertible 70 supreme

Need help with convertible top replacement on 70 cutlass supreme. What is the header bow windlace? Do I need one? Where does it go? Where do I get one? Etc...
What goes between the underside of the header bow where the tack strip goes and the top material on the windshield? The small "triangle shaped fingers" that hold the tack strip keep making small marks in the material on the top of the windshield.
Just not sure what to do here and the internet is not much help.
Thanks in advance...
Old October 22nd, 2015, 11:18 AM

The windlace is a U shaped material that slips over the edge of the metal to protect against the sharp edges of the header bow.

There should be a gasket attached to the underside of the bow to seal between the convertible top and the windshield.
Old October 22nd, 2015, 06:32 PM

Thanks so far, are they sold separately or just part of a new top package? How about the gasket too, can they be purchased separately?
And how do they install - screws, rivets, etc?
Any picture you have would help.

Thanks much, these cars are so hard to find up here to get a look at one, especially this time of year when all the car shows have ended.
Old October 22nd, 2015, 11:19 PM

My car didn't have the windlace when I bought it in 1990 and I never even knew it was supposed to be there. I got a length of generic stuff from Patton Glade many years ago, but it is readily available from many sources (ebay, resto houses, etc).

As for the top gaskets, yes they are available separately or as a set. The header bow gasket has some tabs to align/hold it in position and it is glued on with 3M Super Weatherstrip adhesive. Soff Seal is one of the good companies who makes them and a lot of the resto houses sell them.

Scroll down to the bottom of this page and you'll see the top gaskets:
https://www.convertibletopguys.com/c...hevelle-Malibu

Weatherstripping Seals: Header Seal. 53-3/4" Long. Made With Clips and Molded Ends. Each

Fits: All 68-72 Skylark, Chevelle, Cutlass, 442, GTO LeMans, and Tempest Convertibles

Last edited by Fun71; October 22nd, 2015 at 11:25 PM.
Old October 24th, 2015, 11:13 PM

What Kenneth said!!

The windlace piece really has nothing to do with the contact between the top bow and the top of the windshield. As Kenneth mentioned and shows in the pic of the weatherstrip he posted, the weatherstrip seals things up where the convert top bow and top of windshield come together.

Here's a pic of the windlace material that Kenneth mentioned he got from me....I can still get this material but you may be able to source it with other convert top parts you also need to buy from a vendor.

The windlace is slipped over a bare metal edge of the bow that is otherwise exposed on the inside of the car...probably installed originally to hide the metal edge, protect from cutting yourself on it, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_6262.JPG (254.6 KB, 10 views)
Old October 27th, 2015, 03:28 PM

Is this the part you are talking about? One flap is stapled over the top then the other flap is glued over it at the header tack strip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_0568.JPG (1.29 MB, 14 views)