OE or OEM Part AC Compressor

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2016, 08:37 AM

Lightbulb OE or OEM Part AC Compressor

I have an 1993 Oldsmobile 98 and I am needing to replace the AC Compressor. I was wondering is it best to get the OE part or an OEM part?
Old November 3rd, 2016, 09:08 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Zachary Singleton
I have an 1993 Oldsmobile 98 and I am needing to replace the AC Compressor. I was wondering is it best to get the OE part or an OEM part?
OE and OEM mean the same thing -original equipment. This means the same part from the same vendor who supplied those parts on the assembly line. You can only get exact replacement parts like this from the dealership parts counter, and while other GM divisions can still get Oldsmobile parts, I doubt this A/C compressor is still available new.

You can buy OEM equivalent parts, like those from Delphi and ACDelco, but understand that these parts suppliers have been spun off from GM and most of these "equivalent" parts are not US-made anymore. Your money, your call.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Your money, your call.
I'm confused by this. What are his choices? It sounds like he has only one.

It seems that, if these are no longer available new, the only choice is what you can get at the counter at the auto parts store, and that's something non-U.S. made. Unless he gets the original rebuilt. But if an aftermarket replacement, Chinese-made or not, works, why bother? It's not like you're trying to get fender sheet metal to line up. As long as it blows cold air, who cares where it's made?
Old November 3rd, 2016, 12:14 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I'm confused by this. What are his choices? It sounds like he has only one.
No, he can buy bargain basement, like GPD, Valeo, or Four Seasons. He can get both Delphi- and ACDelco-branded replacements. He can buy Denso brand also. Prices at RockAuto range from $150 to nearly $300. COO may be China, may be Korea, or may be Mexico. I DO know that if you go to a GM dealer and order a Delco branded part (not an A/C compressor, but a heater control valve), after waiting two weeks you get an ACDelco box that says "Made in Mexico" on the bottom. That one failed in 30 days just like the "white box" versions I got from Advance. I also know that when you go in to NAPA and pay considerably extra for their "best quality" brake drums, they still come in a box that says "Made in China" and still are out of round and require turning.

But I'm not bitter...
Old November 3rd, 2016, 12:22 PM

Thanks. But the bottom line is that, no matter what the brand or the price level, it won't be made in the U.S.?
Old November 3rd, 2016, 12:35 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Thanks. But the bottom line is that, no matter what the brand or the price level, it won't be made in the U.S.?
I haven't found one yet. That doesn't mean they don't exist.