Convertible top “pauses”

Old June 17th, 2019, 06:03 PM
'67 Delmont Convertible

Convertible top “pauses”

I’m not sure if this is the right section to post this so if anybody feels it needs to be moved to go ahead. I just figured “other” was safe.😁

As my post says I have a convertible top in my 1967 Delmont that used to work just fine. Of course it’s always been slow, but now it has apause” almost exactly halfway whether it’s going up or down. It seems to take a little 40-50 second break and then continue on. I’m not sure if the motor is failing or if there is vacuum leak or something electric. i’ve made sure all he moving parts are moving freely, but beyond that I’m not sure why this started happening. It’s certainly an awfully heave top for such a small motor!
Old June 17th, 2019, 07:04 PM

Take it down, but stop before it takes its break, and let it sit for a minute, then resume. This will help you know, if it still takes the break, it's something in the mechanism, or, if it doesn't, it just happens to run out of steam there, or you get a hellacious line kink right then.

The good news is, I think that's an electric pump, with power going right through your switch (like, not a relay) and there is at least no vacuum. I would clean and lube all pivot points, and check level of fluid in the system. I believe it is in the front end of the trunk.
Old June 20th, 2019, 12:56 PM

Have no answers but would appreciate learning what you found and the solution.
Old June 24th, 2019, 03:49 PM
'67 Delmont Convertible

Originally Posted by Koda View Post
Take it down, but stop before it takes its break, and let it sit for a minute, then resume. This will help you know, if it still takes the break, it's something in the mechanism, or, if it doesn't, it just happens to run out of steam there, or you get a hellacious line kink right then.

The good news is, I think that's an electric pump, with power going right through your switch (like, not a relay) and there is at least no vacuum. I would clean and lube all pivot points, and check level of fluid in the system. I believe it is in the front end of the trunk.
Thanks, I’ll try stopping before it hits the top, I have lubed all the pivot points but I have not actually pulled the control unit, which u r right it’s in the front of the trunk. I’ll pull that and if u say it can be serviced I’ll give it a try 👍🏻
Old June 24th, 2019, 08:23 PM

Check the fluid level in the pump, original fluid was brake fluid.