Convertible top “pauses”

Search this Thread

Old June 17th, 2019, 06:03 PM
'67 Delmont Convertible

Convertible top “pauses”

I’m not sure if this is the right section to post this so if anybody feels it needs to be moved to go ahead. I just figured “other” was safe.😁

As my post says I have a convertible top in my 1967 Delmont that used to work just fine. Of course it’s always been slow, but now it has apause” almost exactly halfway whether it’s going up or down. It seems to take a little 40-50 second break and then continue on. I’m not sure if the motor is failing or if there is vacuum leak or something electric. i’ve made sure all he moving parts are moving freely, but beyond that I’m not sure why this started happening. It’s certainly an awfully heave top for such a small motor!
Old June 17th, 2019, 07:04 PM

Take it down, but stop before it takes its break, and let it sit for a minute, then resume. This will help you know, if it still takes the break, it's something in the mechanism, or, if it doesn't, it just happens to run out of steam there, or you get a hellacious line kink right then.

The good news is, I think that's an electric pump, with power going right through your switch (like, not a relay) and there is at least no vacuum. I would clean and lube all pivot points, and check level of fluid in the system. I believe it is in the front end of the trunk.
Old June 20th, 2019, 12:56 PM

Have no answers but would appreciate learning what you found and the solution.
Old June 24th, 2019, 03:49 PM
'67 Delmont Convertible

Originally Posted by Koda
Take it down, but stop before it takes its break, and let it sit for a minute, then resume. This will help you know, if it still takes the break, it's something in the mechanism, or, if it doesn't, it just happens to run out of steam there, or you get a hellacious line kink right then.

The good news is, I think that's an electric pump, with power going right through your switch (like, not a relay) and there is at least no vacuum. I would clean and lube all pivot points, and check level of fluid in the system. I believe it is in the front end of the trunk.
Thanks, I’ll try stopping before it hits the top, I have lubed all the pivot points but I have not actually pulled the control unit, which u r right it’s in the front of the trunk. I’ll pull that and if u say it can be serviced I’ll give it a try 👍🏻
Old June 24th, 2019, 08:23 PM

Check the fluid level in the pump, original fluid was brake fluid.
Old August 17th, 2019, 05:56 AM
'67 Delmont Convertible

Originally Posted by classicmuscle.442
Sweet, great idea. I’ll do that. Just out of curiosity, is the any way to disconnect it for the mechanical mechanism and operate it manually ? then maybe I can go slow and see if there’s a hitch in the giddy up? 👍🏻

Last edited by imcgm; August 17th, 2019 at 06:19 AM.
Old August 17th, 2019, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by classicmuscle.442

Double check the fluid often it has been changed to ATF or hydraulic fluid in past years. Brake fluid often drew moisture and degraded cylinders and pump parts. Be sure not to intermix the two... Tedd
Old August 19th, 2019, 07:51 AM
Bfg

I had the same problem with my top stopping half way up but ok going down. The car was not in running order because I was doing other mechanical repairs. I wound up changing the battery and the top worked flawlessly after that. It seemed that the electric motor drew more voltage going up than down. Don’t know if it is the case with your top? Try what others have suggested by adding fluid and checking for binding.
Old August 19th, 2019, 12:51 PM

i do believe there is a circuit breaker on the firewall or left kick panel that could be tripping.i believe i had issue with mine when a downpour came and i was trying to put the windows and top up at the same time.