Console Mounted Vacuum Gauge

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2011, 11:06 AM

Console Mounted Vacuum Gauge

I picked up a Vacuum gauge that mounts to the console. In my case, I don't have a console to mount it to.

So, need to know if these gauges can come apart so I can index the face of the gauge so I can read when it is mounted. I don't plan on mounting it as it was designed.

I don't want to take it apart and potentially cause more damage. So, looking for anyone's experience with this.

Pics of gauge below:

Old August 1st, 2011, 11:22 AM

I'm not sure about taking it apart, what company made the gauge? do they have install instructions on their website?

I mounted mine right underneath the dash. I countersunk two 1/4'' holes in an aluminum bar to make enough room for the screw heads. Screwed both the gauges to the bar and then mounted it to the bottom of the dash. here's a picture.

(i also snuck in the choke cable right next to it)

Cheers,

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
steering wheel 3.jpg (44.0 KB, 29 views)
Old August 1st, 2011, 12:30 PM

I think that's a factory 65 or 66 gauge that someone painted (or maybe they came in black too, I have one but they're not "correct" for 68 so I don't know much about them). If so there's a screw in the side that comes out and the gauge comes apart. The screw may be painted over so you can't see it.
Old August 1st, 2011, 01:22 PM

Yep, I see the screw in the back. Just needed to know if there is anything I should be looking out for. But hey, if it is just a gauge face located in a large housing I should be good to go.

thanks
d1
Old August 1st, 2011, 06:16 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by defiant1
Yep, I see the screw in the back. Just needed to know if there is anything I should be looking out for. But hey, if it is just a gauge face located in a large housing I should be good to go.

thanks
d1
Yup. That's all it is. The housings were never black from the factory.
Old August 1st, 2011, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yup. That's all it is. The housings were never black from the factory.

Good to know, but the black matches my interior well. I will need to be creative on how I am going to mount it under the dash or next to my other gauges. I did not realize how big that sucker was until I got it in the mail.

d1
Old August 1st, 2011, 07:53 PM

I'm going to have to take another look at my 66 one but yours looks different. I've had mine apart and there is nothing special to look out for but I'm not sure you can clock it into a different position unless you're just talking about rotating it. (the outside housing)
Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
I'm going to have to take another look at my 66 one but yours looks different. I've had mine apart and there is nothing special to look out for but I'm not sure you can clock it into a different position unless you're just talking about rotating it. (the outside housing)
As it sits right now (I have not taken it apart yet), the bezel rotates roughly 30 degrees in one direction. That's what got me wondering if I could clock it differently.

d1