1971 Cutlass / 442 heater box cable adjustment

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2019, 02:16 PM

1971 Cutlass / 442 heater box cable adjustment

I had my heater box rebuilt by a professional. I then had another professional install the box. Unfortunately, the heater door only closes halfway. In other words, when you move the heater lever from cold to warm, it stops right in the middle or goes from cold to halfway to the other side. The door worked perfectly before it was attached to the AC/Heater Head that goes in the dash. The AC/Heater head cable has never been changed or adjusted. So I figure the issue is at the heater box cable. Does anyone know how to adjust the cable to get my heater door to close and allow the AC to blow cold air. The car is currently mid restoration and the AC evaporator is not in the car. This I can see the door is not closing. Please help. Thanks, Nunzio
Old May 23rd, 2019, 05:19 PM

Can you manually move the door fully to either side as it sits in the picture above? That contraption on top of the box is held on with three screws and the door travel is adjusted by loosening those screws and moving the assembly until the door travels fully both directions and the sleeve in the slot moved to either end. You will "feel" when the sleeve travel is correct. Once that is adjusted, it's simply a matter of connecting the cable. If it still needs a bit of adjustment to get the dash selector lever to move from WARM to COOL, there is a threaded adjuster on the end of the cable that will lengthen or shorted the travel.
Old May 24th, 2019, 09:03 AM

Hi Ken, Thank you for your message. Before we installed the heater box and attached the cable, I was able to fully open and close the door. However now, that the cable is attached, the lever only moves from "Cool" (with the door not being fully closed) and slides halfway and stops right in the middle between cool and warm. How can I adjust this? Thanks, Nunzio
Old May 24th, 2019, 11:03 AM

When you were manually opening and closing the door, was the nylon bushing moving to each end of the slot? And could you feel the bushing "snap" into place at the ends of the slot?

If the answers are yes, then you may need to play with the adjuster on the end of the cable. It effectively changes the length of the cable so the dash lever has more or less travel.
Old May 24th, 2019, 12:22 PM

Hi Ken, To the best of my recollection, the nylon bushing would travel from one end of that "S" like curve to the other. When It did the door would fully open and close. I don't recall it snapping into place. Do I need to take the cable off and test this? If so, do I just take that screw out of the cable and slide it off the post?
Old May 28th, 2019, 09:18 PM

Hi Ken, I twisted the white plastic piece that surrounds the cable located on the heater box. It adjusted it perfectly. Thanks for your help!
Old May 29th, 2019, 07:00 PM

Good job on getting it working properly!