Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

How to remove this OIL PAN

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2015, 10:47 AM

Question How to remove this OIL PAN

Guys,

I am trying to disassemble this engine, now I want to acquire some parameters of the piston, so I have to take off the oil pan first, but the issue is we are not able to separate the oil pan from the engine block. I believed we removed all bolts that we can see from the outside, but still no way to take off the oil pan. We think there are two possible reasons for this, I attached two pictures here to explain;
1) Could be the sealing glue?
I noticed that the manufacturer used some sealing glue on the fitting surface, but actually we try to lift the oil pan, hoping it can be forced to leave from the block, but no obvious changes... And even the engine stand was lifted, so looks like there is a substantially strong strength dragging the oil pan.
2) Some embedded bolts locating inside the oil pan, which makes the oil pan connect with the block internally?
You will see there are these protuberances on the oil pan, I am not sure if they show that embedded bolts do exist or not.

Any ideas? or have you ever met similar problems with disassembling oil pan?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2.jpg (53.8 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg
1.jpg (50.8 KB, 63 views)
Old March 12th, 2015, 11:15 AM

probably used silicone to seal the pan. Try and slip some thin lockwire under the lip. Otherwise, large amounts of heat have been known to work.
Old March 12th, 2015, 11:21 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Pry it up, it is just the permatex holding it.
Old March 12th, 2015, 11:23 AM

Use a rubber mallet and tap a chisel or screwdriver between the block and pan.
Old March 12th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by boese1978
Use a rubber mallet and tap a chisel or screwdriver between the block and pan.
Actually, use a THIN putty knife. Anything thicker, like a screwdriver or chisel, can gouge the aluminum pan rail. DO NOT ask me how I know this.

FYI, this is a problem on newer motors that use RTV instead of gaskets. There are special tools sold by KD and Lisle specifically to break these seals.

This illustration is from an Escalade service manual. The stars are a nice touch.

Old March 12th, 2015, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Actually, use a THIN putty knife. Anything thicker, like a screwdriver or chisel, can gouge the aluminum pan rail. DO NOT ask me how I know this.

FYI, this is a problem on newer motors that use RTV instead of gaskets. There are special tools sold by KD and Lisle specifically to break these seals.

This illustration is from an Escalade service manual. The stars are a nice touch.

Yes, you are right! My engine is just totally new, never used before! This is an engine for our research use, not for a vehicle.

I have tried several types of chisel or thin screwdriver to pray, but not this RTV gasket cutter, no any changes at all! That makes me kinda doubt the issue is caused by the RTV, so one more question, do you think the oil pan will be connected with flywheel, my engine was mounted to the block via flywheel side, so I don't have a good sight to see the backside of flywheel and not 100% sure if there any bolts connecting the oil pan with flywheel/block on that side. I don't know if it's a typical/necessary procedure to take off flywheel before removing oil pan.

Thanks for the advice!
Old March 12th, 2015, 02:49 PM

First picture, inside the yellow circle on the far right. isn't that the bolt head for the bolt that appears to be coming out of the bottom front of the oil pan?

2_zpsrchzntcf.jpg

Last edited by starfire; March 12th, 2015 at 02:54 PM.