Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

1981 cutlass diesel

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2014, 06:22 PM

1981 cutlass diesel

I bought an '81 Cutlass that was originally a diesel car. I am installing a mild built 350 chevy. Problem i am having a hard time trying to find any books or literature on the wiring. I put power to the car with the three wires i found going to the fuse panel. Most everything is working besides the wipers (motor is seized) and dash lights(pry a lot of bad bulbs.). I found a few wires with Key on power and some that i assume are for gauges. I don't have a signal wire for the starter and no wiring for the 200r4 transmission i have installed. Any links or information or leads to books on this would make my head stop hurting. thank you.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 07:06 AM
Administrator

I moved your thread to the nonolds powered section as your doing a Chevy swap. You need to treat it like a G body Chevy. The starter wires need to be rerouted to the other side of the engine, and some of the gauge and accessory wiring also. On the 200r4 I can't help but others may be able to, you can go to the Gbody forums and there is plenty of info there.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 07:24 AM
Oldsdruid

Your best bet is to find a same year gas V8 engine Malibu or MC and grab the entire wiring harness. There is a lot of difference in Diesel and gas engine car electrics.

Wouldn't hurt you to have a factory shop manual which will have the wiring diagrams for both in it.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 11:56 AM

thanks for moving this i had thought about it after i had started the thread. i will do some looking for a factory manual. just want to have a clean looking installation with the wiring being hidden somewhat.