Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

Towing

Search this Thread

Old April 20th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Always room for one more

Towing

Hello group.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna buy a 90s era Airstream, about a 27ft one. My vehicle of choice to tow it with is a 90 Chevy G20 with a 350. I'm not sure this is going to be strong enough.

What does everyone use to tow big heavy trailers? I like the van because I have two big dogs that will accompany me and that's the best vehicle for them. Now, perhaps I could upgrade to a van with the 6.5(non-turbo) diesel in it, or a big block van? Would the diesel have enough oomph for towing? Should I ditch the van altogether and get a Custom Cruiser with a 455?

I'd appreciate any feedback. I'd like to get the horse squared away before I get the cart, so to speak.

Last edited by slantflat; April 20th, 2014 at 08:06 AM.
Old April 20th, 2014, 08:13 AM
Administrator

What is the weight of your trailer as that will determine what to use to tow it?
Old April 20th, 2014, 09:13 AM
Always room for one more

I'm not for sure which model Airstream it is, but most of them I saw on some chart show a weight of 5600.

My van is a 350 automatic with a 3.08 rear. I think that puts it at about the upper limits of its ability.

As with most questions on the internet, about half say it should be fine, and the other half say don't do it. I expect it to be about the same here but I would like to hear people's opinions and stories.
Old April 20th, 2014, 09:15 AM

See the attached links for airstream trailer weights. A 27' goes from 4300 to 4750 empty. Add food, water and good and you are most likely in the 5000 to 5500 weight range. See attached link for trailer weights. This will help you determine the vehicle and hitch you need for towing. I am always of the mind more power is better. Underpowered means less miles per tank and it overworks the engine. My 2 cents

http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...c5c1005fbf.pdf
Old April 20th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Administrator

By the time you add your necessities, potable water, etc, you are probably exceeding the rating of the 1/2 ton van with that engine and gear ratio. You may want to check the owners manual or look up the towing capacities for that model.
Old April 20th, 2014, 09:27 AM

Good point Eric. 3/4 ton minimum would be my guess with the proper hitch setup. Could always use a pickup with a canopy with the windows that open between the cab an canopy.A friend of mine has a Chev of GMC K1500 with the duramax diesel that tows that size trailer no sweat with plenty of pep and good mileage. Meets the tow ratings too.
Old April 20th, 2014, 10:09 AM
Always room for one more

Thanks for the link Pat. My van is a 3/4 but Eric's right, by the time the passengers and all of our junk is added we're right at the limit. Man that's too bad. Well that was simple. Thanks you guys for the advice.

I'd still like to hear others' opinions.
Old April 20th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike? Just tow it with your M35
Old April 20th, 2014, 11:25 AM
Always room for one more

That's a great idea Allan! It would be the first Airstream with a pintle on it.
Old April 20th, 2014, 12:10 PM

This M35?

Or this M35....??

Your helpful servant...Brett
Old April 20th, 2014, 12:14 PM
Always room for one more

Brett your pictures aren't coming through. But what Allan meant was this one.

Old April 20th, 2014, 01:32 PM

...my joke has left the building Mike....Thanks, Didn't think you were going to use a Infiniti M35...Ahh computers!

Our company travels all over the US, and tow trailers . Have found the best pulling in the Ch%^y DuraMax 3/4, we will pull 12' atlas trailers with 1000-1500# payload to bring gross to 4500-5000#+ and still get 17-18mpg. And the trucks have cajones for more...Best of all.

Brett
Old April 21st, 2014, 09:54 AM
Always room for one more

Ah Brett, I figured that's what you had up there!
Old April 21st, 2014, 11:26 AM

Newer tow vehicles are not cheap, if you get one that will last. For less money, you can get a Vista Cruiser, Delta 88, or Regency and tow in much more class. Full frame, big block, add stuff that makes it tow-friendly, like trans cooler, etc, and you will be way ahead of the game. Don't fool yourself and try to do it cheap, it will leave you stranded. Fresh drivetrain and suspension, some cosmetics, and for 20-25k you will have a killer tow vehicle.

My friend towed his 27' boat with his 73 Delta 88 convertible for over 10 years, never a problem. He would go to Georgia, Alabama, and Ohio (from Virginia) all the time, only once he had a flat. They make perfect tow vehicles.

Even used, you will spend more to get a decent newer tow vehicle. New, you probably will spend more than 45k.
Old April 21st, 2014, 11:36 AM
CQR

Mike your G20 is listed as a 3/4 ton, but it really is just a half ton with six lug semi floating axles. It should be fine with a 27' 7000# GWV trailer. I used to haul my toyhauler with my 86 ford F-150 with a 302 and it did ok. If you are planning on doing a lot of steep passes, ou may want to think about upgrading to a true 3/4 ton with bigger brakes. If the trailer brakes are working it'll feel fine, but if they quit and the van brakes have to stop you, you're gonna wish you had something bigger.
Old April 21st, 2014, 11:39 AM
Shoveling Snow

Look for a 6.6 gas extended 3/4 ton GMC or Chevy with a 8 ft box. more than enough room for the dog and length for stability. Please make sure you have some type of anti-sway device. Your going to have a lot of sail to deal with.

I normally pull with my 2000 GMC 1500 with the 5.3 and a 6 ft box. It's a little under powered for my enclosed 19 ft trailer, good for hauls to Lansing. I used my friends truck like I described above it's the only way to tow.

Last edited by Hairy Olds; April 21st, 2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 08:42 AM

Mike, You've ridden in my 01 GMC Yukon XL. Its the Denali model with the 6.0 motor and it pulls 6000# with ease. Plus, it has rear load level to handle the tongue weight better than any other 1500 series truck. IMO its the ultimate tow vehicle. Remove the 3rd row seat and there's plenty of room for the dogs.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 10:08 AM
Always room for one more

You're right, Tony, I'll probably end up getting something like yours, with barn doors. A gate would be too high for the dogs to jump up in.

My neighbors are heading up that way in a couple weeks. When they get there I'll make plans to take said van to see them and retrieve the hood.

Oh by the way everyone, I pick up the Airstream next week.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 01:06 PM

Don't see any problem towing that with your van. It should be set up with an equilizer hitch,proper trailer wiring, electric brake controller, maybe air bags if required and a transmission cooler. Also your mirrors should be capable of extending out enough for good line of sight. Go slow around curves and strong cross winds. RV tires should be properly maintained (some of them out there are crap) and never overloaded. Happy RV'ing.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by RROLDSX
Don't see any problem towing that with your van. It should be set up with an equilizer hitch,proper trailer wiring, electric brake controller, maybe air bags if required and a transmission cooler. Also your mirrors should be capable of extending out enough for good line of sight. Go slow around curves and strong cross winds. RV tires should be properly maintained (some of them out there are crap) and never overloaded. Happy RV'ing.
I use the equalizer hitch on my car trailer. It does make a BIG difference with it. Also have the sway control but its not been hooked up yet. The trailer stays straight and true with those. Well worth the extra money to purchase them. I'll never tow a trailer without them again.
Old May 5th, 2014, 06:13 PM
Always room for one more

Picked up the trailer today! Turns out it's an '84 model 31ft. The only thing I have available right now to tow it with is my Silverado HD. Tows nice with it but no room for dogs, so I'm going to be looking for a newer dedicated tow vehicle. The chart from the link above says it weights 5400 and I just don't feel good about towing it with my 3/4 van.

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments.
Old March 28th, 2015, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Picked up the trailer today! Turns out it's an '84 model 31ft. The only thing I have available right now to tow it with is my Silverado HD. Tows nice with it but no room for dogs, so I'm going to be looking for a newer dedicated tow vehicle. The chart from the link above says it weights 5400 and I just don't feel good about towing it with my 3/4 van.

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments.
I've towed heavier than that with my G20. (mine is a '79 with a 400/700R4 and 2.73 gears) It has the trailer tow package with the engine oil cooler.

Proper hitch, tires, and trailer brakes and you'll be fine. As for the engine/driveline, I''d think about a true dual exhaust (that will make a considerable difference), transmission oil cooler, and run it in third gear when pushing wind or pulling grades, especially if it's gear hunting or the converter clutch stays disengauged.

Last thing on the list would be a rear axle gear change if there is to much gear hunting. (3.73 or 4.11)