Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

Francis - Omega 1973 rebuild with LM7 swap

Old March 22nd, 2019, 11:15 PM
Olds Omega

Francis - Omega 1973 rebuild with LM7 swap

Good morning,

would like to share my project Francis!

When my dad (Franz --> Fancis) passed away 2 years ago the idea come up to build something unique to honor my best friend, adviser, mentor, judge,...
So I started research which car would fit the idea to do nearly everything on my own, does look good, parts are available even for me in Austria. Found the Chevy Nova.
As the project should be ready till my fifties birthday I of course had to go for a 1973 model!

I spent nights in the internet to get myself familiar with the topic (my brother was helpful as well - he is a mechanic), created lists of parts which I would like so use, trashed it because of other ideas and started from scratch. Saw the Chevrolet project with the LTG 2.0 Turbo swap - followed this. But again things came different :-)

Than I found Bruce Kaiser from kaisercarart and asked him to create a draft for my with my ideas and this is the result:

So there will be new disc brakes all around, new front and rear suspension, rebuild of the rear end, very customized interior, some high fidelity audio equipment and nice paint job.

Very long search for the car started - in Austria there is no market, in Europe nearly nothing and if, than the prices are horrible!
Than a view weeks ago I run across an Oldsmobile Omega 1973 in craigslist. A fellow member of stevesnovasite helped me to get in touch with the seller. When I saw the VIN I was clear I have to swith my project from the Nova to the Omega. The VIN ending with 1868 which is the year of birth from my granddad, whom I never met. He became nearly 100, but died years before I was here. His name was like my fathers name Franz.

So I bought the Oldsmobile Omega 1973!

When the seller tried to change the title they discovered that there is still a lien on it. No real issue, it lasts only longer to get it cleared and the shipping to Bremerhaven will be delayed. So he asked me, if I need anything else? So we discussed my project and the idea of the LTG 2.0 turbo. He was laughing. The discussion ended with the result, that we will put a Chevy LM7 engine core into the trunk.

So now Bruce Kaiser is reworking the design and I'm waiting for the Omega to arrive in Europe!
Old March 23rd, 2019, 12:26 AM

Very nice. I would see if there was anyway that he could send a transmission along with the car as well. An overdrive trans will be much better with what you want to do with the car. And being that close to the Autobahn...yup.
Old March 23rd, 2019, 06:24 AM
Olds Omega

Thought I'll keep the TH350, shouldn't I?

The Omega will hardly see any Autobahn - just romantic roads trough the vine yards
Old March 23rd, 2019, 07:14 AM

Sounds like a cool project.
Old March 23rd, 2019, 07:41 AM
72 Olds CS

LOoks like it's gonna be nice when complete, omegas are not that common in the US either
Old March 23rd, 2019, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by exotec View Post
Thought I'll keep the TH350, shouldn't I?

The Omega will hardly see any Autobahn - just romantic roads trough the vine yards
Even so, an OD trans will make things that much better. With all that you already have planned for the car, it would just make sense. The TH350 will need some work to be deemed reliable anyway, so why not just do the upgrade instead?
Old March 23rd, 2019, 07:11 PM

A trans upgrade can always be done in the future if need be.
Old March 23rd, 2019, 10:50 PM
Olds Omega

Plan is to rebuild the TH350 with a TCI Auto Pro Super Overhaul kit and run a TCI Breakaway Torque Converter.
Old March 24th, 2019, 12:25 AM

Plan is to rebuild the TH350 with a TCI Auto Pro Super Overhaul kit and run a TCI Breakaway Torque Converter.
Cool. I was just throwing out the idea.
Old March 25th, 2019, 12:48 PM
Olds Omega

I have a question and you hopefully some advise: the olds omega will never see any track or other racing (at least now not planned) - just a good performing cruiser.

Should I stay with rear leaf springs and sway bar front and rear or go for a 4-link or alternatives?
Front suspension will be upgraded with tubular control arms.

So either Hotchkis Sport Suspension TVS Systems or Ridetech 4-Link bolt on?
Subframe connectors for both?

I personally would go with Hotchkis and subframe connector
Old March 25th, 2019, 01:56 PM

The leaf spring suspension is very sturdy and easy to maintain. I'd keep it and get some traction bars for what your intended use is.
Old April 1st, 2019, 06:09 AM
Olds Omega

got something to read! the quality of the book and the details are quit impressive

Old April 1st, 2019, 06:11 AM
Olds Omega

Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
The leaf spring suspension is very sturdy and easy to maintain. I'd keep it and get some traction bars for what your intended use is.
Thank you, I will keep the leaf springs!
Old April 1st, 2019, 08:31 AM

Cool project. Good luck with the project.
Old April 1st, 2019, 07:08 PM
Olds Omega

Bruce Kaiser finished the design - I love!
Old April 2nd, 2019, 05:29 AM
Olds Omega

one more book to read!

Old April 4th, 2019, 06:01 AM
Olds Omega

before I break down the Omega I would like to drive her and visit some shows and US car events here in Austria.

So I wonder what to do best and maybe give the inline 6 a bit more power?
replace all liquids (engine and transmission oil, brake fluid, coolant)
new spark plugs s and ignition wires
HEI Distributor
brake pads/shoes
fuel filter and oil filter

odometer shows 43596

any other inexpensive performance gains or recommendations to take care of?

Old April 4th, 2019, 07:43 AM

Just do regular maintenance an enjoy the summer. You wouldnt get much out of it, and even less trying to sell the parts for that Six at Europe;
so if i would be you, id try to attend as many shows i could, keeping the car at sound condition, and save the money to new engine.
Old April 4th, 2019, 08:55 AM

Being a 73, I would check brakes/brake lines (especially the rubber hoses), suspension bushings, steering linkage. Anything you replace there will carry over to the final car.
Probably not worth the expense of an HEI if you can just do points/condenser.
Old April 6th, 2019, 06:40 PM

Very cool project, I love Oldsmobile's take on the Nova.
Old April 6th, 2019, 07:27 PM

before I break down the Omega I would like to drive her and visit some shows and US car events here in Austria.

So I wonder what to do best and maybe give the inline 6 a bit more power?
replace all liquids (engine and transmission oil, brake fluid, coolant)
new spark plugs s and ignition wires
HEI Distributor
brake pads/shoes
fuel filter and oil filter

odometer shows 43596

any other inexpensive performance gains or recommendations to take care of?
Make sure all the safety stuff is in good order. An HEI will not give you any extra power over points. If your just going to drive it for a summer, don't replace a bunch of parts that you will end up replacing again when you do your upgrade. Clean up what you have if possible.
Old April 14th, 2019, 02:22 AM
Olds Omega

I'll need your advice!

I bought the book “American Cars, 1973-1980, Every Model, Year by Year” and learned that form the Olds Omega 1973 only 26,126 cars and 1974 already with some updates on bumpers and grill 27,075 cars were produced.

The Omega is almost in initial delivery setup and numbers are ok.
So I more and more question myself if this LS swap and all other modification I planned will honor this car as it should do? My oldest daughters opinion is to keep it as original as possible. However in Austria it will be a real rarity on the street. This exact model is therefor listed on the list of worth preserving vintage cars of the Austria federal ministry of transport! And if I will have an Austrian title as a vintage car than anyhow will be forced to keep it in the original conditions.

Than I maybe only will have the S package from 74 installed – lowering the car about 1,5” with the rally suspension and the sport bucket seats.

What would you do?

Old April 14th, 2019, 06:50 AM

In the states being that it is a 6 cylinder car its just not that desirable. and as such, not worth a ton of money. I would do the swap and make the car much more fun to drive, and to be quite honest, more reliable.