Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

6.0l lq4

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2018, 01:13 PM

6.0l lq4

Hello olds heads. This upcoming Friday I'm pulling the trigger on a 6.0L LQ4 build from block to turn key.

This engine Ine is going to be going into my 73 Cutlass "S" optioned 442.

I know these engines have been used in earlier model cutlasses and there is modification/aftermarket parts needed for fitment. Which I'm prepared to do to make work.

Im having a hard time finding any 73's out there with these engines in them. My question is is this that much different of a logistical fitment issue then earlier model cutlasses? The last thing I want to do is pay for this build and for whatever reason find out it "can't work".

If anyone hasexperience or knowledge about this swap it would be greatly appreciated. I know that holley makes a retro aftermarket oil pan that will be needed. And I also know the wiring harness will have to be modified. Other than that I'm all ears. Thanks everyone
Old March 19th, 2018, 09:39 AM

The GMPP pan should work. It's half the cost and just hangs a little bit lower. Otherwise, logistically, it should fit in the same as the earlier models. Consider headers for these cars are typically model years 68-77 if that says anything about the front frame. Check out G3GM.com. There's a couple guys who have done this already in their 73-77 A bodies.
Old March 19th, 2018, 10:22 AM

BRP Musclerods has mounts and headers for this body style. GMPP or Holly pan would work. Holley is more expensive ..

Last edited by csouth; March 20th, 2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old March 20th, 2018, 04:58 AM

Alright perfect thank you guys for the direction greatly apriciated.
Old March 21st, 2018, 07:19 AM

i have to disagree about the GMPP pan, and doubly so if you ever plan to lower your car. The pan hangs below your engine crossmember making a fragile bit of aluminum your first point of impact if you should ever bottom out. I know the holley pan is pricey but the 302-2 or 302-3 are the only way i would go. Mounts shouldnt be a problem, and as far as exhaust fitment i would recommend searching ls1tech.com for anyone else running a '73-up A body to gain some knowledge from. Best of luck with the build you'll love the results.
Old March 21st, 2018, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by ach1992880
i have to disagree about the GMPP pan, and doubly so if you ever plan to lower your car. The pan hangs below your engine crossmember making a fragile bit of aluminum your first point of impact if you should ever bottom out. I know the holley pan is pricey but the 302-2 or 302-3 are the only way i would go. Mounts shouldnt be a problem, and as far as exhaust fitment i would recommend searching ls1tech.com for anyone else running a '73-up A body to gain some knowledge from. Best of luck with the build you'll love the results.
When you are referencing pan to crossmember clearance, the GMPP pan will work. If you are asking "is it the best pan out there for the swap?", no. I personally would not use the Holley pan either. IMO the best pan out there is the Speedtech performance pan with provides crossmember clearance, does not hang low, has a built in baffle and has fittings for remote oil filter and\or oil cooler. Now you're talking about a $700 pan though.