Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

Olds 307 to Chevy 350 swap in 89 Cadillac brougham

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2018, 10:31 PM

Olds 307 to Chevy 350 swap in 89 Cadillac brougham

I'm doing a swap on my Cadillac and wondering can I get motor mounts for a 90-92 brougham and driveshaft is there anything else I need. The Chevy motor is complete with trans. Help would be greatly appreciated
Old March 1st, 2018, 12:14 AM
ph_ckstick1

Originally Posted by Jonathanpolo92
I'm doing a swap on my Cadillac and wondering can I get motor mounts for a 90-92 brougham and driveshaft is there anything else I need. The Chevy motor is complete with trans. Help would be greatly appreciated
The 90-92 brougham is a g.m. d body. The 89 is a "d" platform.
So yes the mounts, and all the engine parts for a small block chevy 90-2 will work.(note the 89 is computer controlled carb, the 90 up is TBI EFI)
You might want to when you get the mounts/engines stands. get the engines front dress and brackets, The exhaust manifolds, and front y pipe.the rad. shroud and fan, radiator if different from the 307 one.
The cruise control parts, and if it matters emission equipment parts if you need to pass smog.
If both your 89 and the donor 90-92 both have the same transmission IIRC it should be the 2004r in both. you should be able to use the driveshaft under your car.
If this needs to have the emissions equipment on it and working and check engine light not on . This swap will be a royal pain and you might want to rethink it.
Your 89 should be a CCC q-jet. if you plan on reusing it. You'll need to see if the needles and seats are different on the optional 350 chevy that was offered in 90-92.
The ecu prom chip might not have the correct timing and such for a 43 cube larger engine. The stock one back then made a whopping 170 h/p so if your 350 has more than that. plan on at least needing to change the needle/seats in the CCC. if no need passing smog/ emissions test and plan on using a standard carb, and not computer controlled. than you don't need to worry about the ecu and prom chip in it.
As it'll most likely be lean.
Old March 1st, 2018, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by midnightleadfoot
The 90-92 brougham is a g.m. d body. The 89 is a "d" platform.
So yes the mounts, and all the engine parts for a small block chevy 90-2 will work.(note the 89 is computer controlled carb, the 90 up is TBI EFI)
You might want to when you get the mounts/engines stands. get the engines front dress and brackets, The exhaust manifolds, and front y pipe.the rad. shroud and fan, radiator if different from the 307 one.
The cruise control parts, and if it matters emission equipment parts if you need to pass smog.
If both your 89 and the donor 90-92 both have the same transmission IIRC it should be the 2004r in both. you should be able to use the driveshaft under your car.
If this needs to have the emissions equipment on it and working and check engine light not on . This swap will be a royal pain and you might want to rethink it.
Your 89 should be a CCC q-jet. if you plan on reusing it. You'll need to see if the needles and seats are different on the optional 350 chevy that was offered in 90-92.
The ecu prom chip might not have the correct timing and such for a 43 cube larger engine. The stock one back then made a whopping 170 h/p so if your 350 has more than that. plan on at least needing to change the needle/seats in the CCC. if no need passing smog/ emissions test and plan on using a standard carb, and not computer controlled. than you don't need to worry about the ecu and prom chip in it.
As it'll most likely be lean.
Ok thanks for the info. The motor is coming from a s-10 blazer, with everything from carb to tranny as well as front dressing. I wasn't aware I need to change the radiator but that's good to know. Not worried about emissions control. The tranny attached is a 350 so depending on which tranny I use would determine driveshaft change if I understand correctly.
Old March 1st, 2018, 02:07 PM

I have an '89 Brougham but I am pulling my Olds 307 for an Olds 350. Swap is much easier when sticking with Olds.

For you, you need to get Motor mounts from a 91-92 brougham and I think the fuel line runs on opposite side of frame. If you google Cadillac Brougham 350 swap you will find your answer- swap is done a lot
Old March 1st, 2018, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Joe King
I have an '89 Brougham but I am pulling my Olds 307 for an Olds 350. Swap is much easier when sticking with Olds.

For you, you need to get Motor mounts from a 91-92 brougham and I think the fuel line runs on opposite side of frame. If you google Cadillac Brougham 350 swap you will find your answer- swap is done a lot
thanks joe king