Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

Fresh motor issues

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2018, 03:55 PM

Fresh motor issues

The engine is a 355 sbc with fuelie heads edlebrock rpm intake big ***** thumper roller cam and domed pistons it should be around 12 to 1 compression on first attempt to fire the engine it sputtered I adjusted the timing and now it' won' even attempt to fire. I pulled the plugs they were pretty wet and one was cracked. I turned the engine to get the fluid out and about a cap full came out of each cylinder. I put back together to try again and same thing wet plugs and no attempt to fire I'm not sure what to next I could really use your guys help thanks
Old February 15th, 2018, 04:19 PM
Administrator

You need to start from scratch and find #1 tdc. Make sure your rotor is pointing to #1 and then check your firing order from there. Make sure you have power at your distributor with the key in both the on and run positions. Make sure your fuel pressure is not higher than what the carb is rated for.
Old February 15th, 2018, 04:36 PM

I did that it' sparking when it should I also filled the bowls because I have a mechanical pump and it seems like I have more fluid coming out that any amount of fuel that could be there because the fuel isn' even up from the tank yet.
Old February 15th, 2018, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by devmar07
I turned the engine to get the fluid out and about a cap full came out of each cylinder.
What kind of fluid ?? Fuel ???? If so you need to stop right now and get some oil in the cylinders before you ruin the rings, if you havent already. It sounds like the float is stuck on your carburetor and it is dumping raw fuel in the engine.

If it is not fuel then you need to find out what it is.

Who built the engine ? I would suggest you contact that person before you touch the starter again.

Also, if it really is 12 to 1 compression you need to have race fuel in it or it will detonate itself to death.
Old February 15th, 2018, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by BillK
What kind of fluid ?? Fuel ???? If so you need to stop right now and get some oil in the cylinders before you ruin the rings, if you havent already. It sounds like the float is stuck on your carburetor and it is dumping raw fuel in the engine.

If it is not fuel then you need to find out what it is.

Who built the engine ? I would suggest you contact that person before you touch the starter again.

Also, if it really is 12 to 1 compression you need to have race fuel in it or it will detonate itself to death.
Most all of your suggestions are good, except regarding the compression ratio. I’ve fired lots of high compression engines on pump gas with no issues. However once you put any load on it, THEN you need more octane.
Old February 15th, 2018, 06:15 PM

I have a race fuel mix in it I've tried to do my homework as much as possible. Is it possible that it could be condensation mixed with fuel because I have it in a unheated garage in central new york and when I work on it I turn on my salamander and I always notice a ton of water dripping of it
Old February 17th, 2018, 05:21 PM

You have done the fuel, timing, compression thing but have you checked for fire from the coil, distributor to the plugs?..... Tedd
Old February 17th, 2018, 06:11 PM

Yes it fired today with fresh plugs it was warm enough today. I think but was full of water from condensation which would be my fault for letting it get hot and cold
Old February 17th, 2018, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Glad to hear. Sometimes fouled plugs just won't cleanup.