Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

please help sbc swap

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2016, 09:22 PM

please help sbc swap

I just bought a 1972 oldsmobile delta 88 royale two door, I wish i could keep the oldsmobile engine in it,, but it is to expensive for me at the moment to rebuild it is completetely shot I would rebuild it later on when i get more money, meanwhile I have a 1970s sbc 350 and 350 trans what is needed for this the swap please help, i really want to start moving this car soon any help appreciated,
Old June 6th, 2016, 09:46 PM
Rocket Renegade!

I'd be more inclined to go a different route, and here's why: if it's a nice car, you're just going to hurt its value by putting a Chebby in it, and if it's a beater then it just won't be worth the time, effort or money.

You'll be far ahead of the game to either find a Chevy to put your Chevy motor in or find an Olds motor for your Olds. Just because you have it lying around doesn't meant it's a good idea to use it. If it's in good shape, a Chev 350 should certainly fetch enough to get you an Olds 350.

Last edited by BangScreech4-4-2; June 6th, 2016 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Afterthought.
Old June 6th, 2016, 10:08 PM

Thank you for your reply, indeed it is a nice car, 2 door convertible, needs cosmetic work inside but outside is really good looking, I was thinking maybe just actually drive it for a while with the sbc and then rebuild the rocket 350, I was looking some other place and they said maybe I could use caprice engine mounts, the thing is I would like to drive it before actually putting money into the Oldsmobile rocket engine I can do all the swaps myself just mainly looking for advice, but will definitely go the oldsmobile route once I'm able to drive the car and test it out,
Old June 7th, 2016, 03:24 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I'm not sure whether the '71 to '76 B- and C-bodies have frame holes for the TH350 crossmember location. For Olds, at least, the only transmissions supplied were the TH375 and TH400.

Obviously, using a pair of Impala motor mounts, moving the crossmember (if possible), changing the driveshaft yoke, swapping the starter wiring to the other side, and changing to an Impala exhaust system would do the trick, but that's really a lot of trouble when you can just buy a used Olds 350 and drop it in while you mess with the original engine.

- Eric
Old June 7th, 2016, 06:26 AM
Rocket Renegade!

^^^ What I should have said.
Old June 7th, 2016, 06:31 AM

Absolutely, the work needed will offset the cost of just fixing what you got. You WILL spend some money and/or TONS of time swapping it over.
I never understood the mentality of "The chevy it so cheap, it was only $5" (But I spent $1000 to get it in there). Not saying that is you simpleold, but think about it, all this work, when you could just fix whatcha got for about the same and do it once.
Old June 7th, 2016, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by simpleold
Thank you for your reply, indeed it is a nice car, 2 door convertible, needs cosmetic work inside but outside is really good looking, I was thinking maybe just actually drive it for a while with the sbc and then rebuild the rocket 350, I was looking some other place and they said maybe I could use caprice engine mounts, the thing is I would like to drive it before actually putting money into the Oldsmobile rocket engine I can do all the swaps myself just mainly looking for advice, but will definitely go the oldsmobile route once I'm able to drive the car and test it out,
Your probably looking at about a $1200 investment to do this swap. Some of the mods, for example, another driveshaft, exhaust, etc, will not be compatible for going back to an Olds power train. While I'm not against putting an sbc into an Olds, in your case it makes more sense to wait and just keep it an Olds if you plan on going back. The car is going to drive the same no matter which engine is in it, so I don't understand the test it out comment.
Old June 7th, 2016, 08:03 AM

Got it, after reading your comments, I decided to just wait and keep it oldsmobile, found a used 350 oldsmobile on Craigslist will go check it out, if not in good condition as it is still on a the car, I will call the machine shop and ask how much would it be to rebuild mine thanks for all the help, thank you glad people reply back fast thanks again
Old June 7th, 2016, 10:03 AM

Hopefully the SBO you found is a good engine.
Old June 7th, 2016, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Let us know how it works out.
Old June 7th, 2016, 10:26 AM

In fact I won't get that sbo anymore, just took a good look at my rocket 350 engine and it is a matching numbers, will definitely fix this one instead now thanks again
Old June 7th, 2016, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Matching numbers is not a big deal on your D88 and will probably never effect the price. I would not be that hung up on it, go for what works the best financially.
Old June 7th, 2016, 10:45 AM

Oh ok I'm new to the Oldsmobile world, always worked before on Chevys, but let me tell you, this oldsmobile is really nice, it is the convertible delta 88 Royale, Vin 3N67, I think a matching number is even nicer I don't know, I'm just happy I got this nice looking car, also two quotes from local machines shops one $1700 three day turn around and the other, 1450 7 day turn around will look into their reviews how is this pricing?
Old June 7th, 2016, 10:58 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by simpleold
... how is this pricing?
Impossibly low for any sort of quality work.

- Eric
Old June 7th, 2016, 11:09 AM

I'm pretty sure it also depends on the markets I live in a literally low income city, what is a good price for a medium quality job?
Old June 7th, 2016, 11:14 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If you are talking about an actual rebuild, remember that you are talking bore, new pistons, new rings, new crank, rod, and cam bearings, hot-tank block, presumably new valves, testing of valve springs at the very least, but probably replacement of all, grinding of valve seats, new lifters, new pushrods, new rockers and pivots, new oil pump, new gaskets, the labor to do all of this, and possibly more, such as machining heads and manifolds.

I'd say at least $2,500, for a "stock" rebuild, plenty more for performance stuff.

What, exactly, is wrong with the engine you've got?

- Eric
Old June 7th, 2016, 11:39 AM

spun a rod bearing
Old June 7th, 2016, 11:50 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Ah.

Yeah, needs a rebuild.

You may be able to get away with disassembly, cleaning, grinding one crank journal and installing new shells all around - it's not "the best," but it can get you down the road, and these engines are not overstressed in their stock form.

I'm curious what others say about this.

- Eric
Old June 7th, 2016, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Just make sure who ever does the work is familiar with an Oldsmobile engine. There are certain rules of thumb for oiling, non adjustable valve trains, and the bearing clearances that must be adhered to and are not the same as a Chevrolet.
Old June 10th, 2016, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Impossibly low for any sort of quality work.

- Eric
I agree. I spent $250 recently to have a pair of 5.4L Triton V8 heads "freshened up" by a machinist. All he did was hot tank the heads, true the surface and measure the slop in the guides. Luckily, I didn't need new valves, seats or guides.

If you need bottom end work done it will cost more. You get what you pay for.
Old June 10th, 2016, 01:37 PM

I had about $1800 in a 455 that I built on a budget when I was working at Super Shops (an old performance shop that closed back in the late 90's) and I got a discount on parts. I had to pay a machine shop for the machine work, but that was standard stuff. This was in 1993.
If you can get away without needing pistons and an overbore, that will save you a good chunk of change. Just a hone and re-ring is possible if you don't have a ton a wear or taper going on.
With the bad bearing though, you have a loss of oil pressure and at the very least you are looking at having the rods re-sized and the rod journals cut at least .010 under and probably the mains as well. That all adds to the cost.
Old June 16th, 2016, 08:10 PM
4 Barrels of Laughs

heckfire, I have $1800 just in the clearancing and balancing of a 347 from a world record holders shop, but thats a race motor. if it were a chevy you could get a good rebuild out the door for $1100 if you screwed it together yourself, one offs like olds and pontiac raise the bar because parts are so expen$ive anymore.

as for the original topic, had you asked the question 25 years ago the answer would be far different. we can and did daily, swap powertrains between gm models of the same body line. since gm oft did the same, a lot of the parts were just sitting there. now....high scrap a few years back and CFC sent it all to china as cubes....aint nothing around anymore.
Old June 17th, 2016, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by quaddriver
now....high scrap a few years back and CFC sent it all to china as cubes....aint nothing around anymore.
So true.