Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

Chevy 5.3L Into '49 Convertible 98

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2016, 11:40 PM

IMG_8984.JPG

IMG_8987.JPG

Side view. Waiting for Sanderson Ceramic Coated Shorties, Radiator, and Custom Four Inch Cold In.JPG

View of engine with A arm and Power Steering..JPG

IMG_9030.JPG

IMG_9031.JPG

IMG_9032.JPG
Sanderson Headers have arrived and they look great! They are installed and this will help in positioning new motor mounts.
Suspension is coming along but I'm getting some negative feedback on the use of Heim swivel joints instead of standard ball joints. Suspension will be handed by coil overs in S10 A arms.

Last edited by Oldsr4me; August 14th, 2016 at 11:43 PM.
Old August 15th, 2016, 09:42 AM
Car Whisperer

looking good!!!
Old September 18th, 2016, 02:59 PM

Update 09/18/16

Lokar shifter side view.JPG

Steering Column Hookup.JPG

Hood Propped For Radiator Size.jpeg

IMG_9162.JPG

IMG_9160.JPG

IMG_9061.JPG

Heim suspension is out. Going with regular ball joint suspension. Sanderson coated headers are in and original steering column is hooked up to power rack (Pic #2).
Lokar floor mounted shifter is in and neutral safety switch installed. Having trouble with mounting the reverse light switch mounting bracket. Lokar does not make a mounting bracket for the 4l60e, so we'll have to modify the bracket designed for the 4l60.
The Mustang fuel tank that had been installed is coming out. It is not designed for fuel injection. New tank ordered and received with correct baffles, and fuel pump and sender unit.
Fenders and hood have been installed to get size and location for new radiator. Radiator ordered from Summit is 26"X19" with two row of one inch tubes. Front mounted transmission cooler with rear mounted twin 13" puller fans.
No brakes master cylinder bought as yet but will probably go with firewall mounted Willwood master.
Picture #4 shows motor mount easily avoiding block hugger Sanderson header.

Last edited by Oldsr4me; September 18th, 2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old September 18th, 2016, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Looks great
Old October 10th, 2016, 11:31 PM

Radiaror Is In

Radiator core is complete and fully mounted. Looks impressively clean. Going with single 17" electric fan instead of twin 13's. Plenty of room for cold induction twin tubes. Thinking of routing intake tubes to turn signal grills below headlights. Wonder if this has been done without interfering with tires.
Will need to create special splash panel as old one won't fit with new radiator location. May have to create special hood latch panel.
Harness being reworked and computer will be reprogrammed. Hope to have it running by end of year, then I'll have to take it all apart again to do the body work.
Still looking for seats. Someone suggested 2010 or later Honda Odyssey seats with console

IMG_9208.JPG

IMG_9215.JPG

IMG_9230.JPG

IMG_9232.JPG
Old October 23rd, 2016, 06:32 AM

Looking great!

I'm using the late model 2nd row Honda Odyssey buckets. Think they are 2013? They are pretty comfortable and tilt forward for better rear seat entry. The upholstery shop will reshape the the top as I'm eliminating the head rests.

There is a guy here in Phoenix that sells them on eBay. They are brand new "take-outs". Mine still had the plastic sheets stuck to the fabric.

You'll probably have to do some fab work to the tracks and mounts to match up to your floors. I was able to use the outer mount positions for the bench seat in my 55 88.
Old October 23rd, 2016, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by jozw30
Looking great!

I'm using the late model 2nd row Honda Odyssey buckets. Think they are 2013? They are pretty comfortable and tilt forward for better rear seat entry. The upholstery shop will reshape the the top as I'm eliminating the head rests.

There is a guy here in Phoenix that sells them on eBay. They are brand new "take-outs". Mine still had the plastic sheets stuck to the fabric.

You'll probably have to do some fab work to the tracks and mounts to match up to your floors. I was able to use the outer mount positions for the bench seat in my 55 88.
Sounds great. My guy can handle the fab work, if I give him something to work with. Can you PM me the guy's name in Phoenix?
Old November 27th, 2016, 10:54 AM

Front End

IMG_9400.JPG

IMG_9404.JPG

IMG_9406.JPG

IMG_9231.JPG

IMG_9365.JPG

The front part of the body is almost complete. He needs to finish a few things in order to get it off the jig in order to begin installing the front suspension.
He has not begun to order work on the harness, and that worries me, but he has come through on the rest of the work he's done. The car is a big attraction in his shop, and he has begun to get work on other projects.
He's mostly a one man shop, but he now has help. It's probably not going to help I'm sending him a '55 Chevy Nomad for some body work, and installation of a Lokar floor shifter and Flaming River steering column.
I've decided...for now, to go with bench seats from a '50 Olds 88 coupe. I don't know yet if the back seats from the '88 coupe will fit on a '98 convertible. Both cars are 300 miles apart so not easy to try and match up.
The front radiator side baffles are all made and waiting to be welded onto the custom made splash panel. I am using the top radiator baffle from a '50 Olds 88. I needed one to keep from having to fab one that would have the hood catch with cable release. It fits way over the top of 26"X19" non-stock radiator and trans cooler. I am planning a panel that will block air flow to go over the radiator, but with an electric fan, that may not be such an issue.
Here are some project pics. I've included a pic from another Olds that has the baffle over the lower radiator. I liked the way it looked.

Last edited by Oldsr4me; November 27th, 2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old November 28th, 2016, 03:49 PM

Wow, incredible fab work! Gonna be nice!

Joe
Old April 30th, 2017, 11:55 AM

Olds Off the jig pic 1 04 28 2017.JPGBeen a while since I posted any progress, mainly because there hasn't been a lot of progress. The custom front suspension is complete and it looks great!
The engine is also mounted and the wiring is almost complete. I'm thinking I will have to rewire it once they get it started. It is a custom wire, and I'm not too confident with it...we'll see.
Wilwood power booster and dual master cylinder are mounted, and so is the rack and pinion steering.
I am leaving the GM Posi 3.35 rear end as it should work fine with the 4l60e transmission. I still need a drive shaft,
I needed front seat and the front bumper. I found a '50 Olds 88 with these parts and I hope they fit.
I am hoping to hear it run this week.
Bob

Olds Suspension left April 2017.JPG

Olds Suspension driver side april 2017.JPG

Olds Suspension Complete April 26 20017.JPG

Olds Left Suspension.JPG

Olds off the jig pic 3 04282017.JPG

Olds off the jig pic 2 04 28 2017.JPG

Olds Off the jig pic 1 04 28 2017.JPG
Old April 30th, 2017, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Really starting to take shape.
Old May 1st, 2017, 09:49 PM

The engine was fired up today, and it sound super. Of course it only has the Sanderson headers, so it sounded pretty loud. Engine hadn't been fired up in a while but it started right up.
Bob

Shorter Start Video.MOV

Last edited by Oldsr4me; May 1st, 2017 at 10:05 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 06:56 AM

Cool! Great feeling when that thing comes to life after all that work.

Car's coming along great! You are really going to enjoy driving it.

Joe
Old May 3rd, 2017, 07:10 AM

Looks like a heck of a deal. Lots of fab work and professionally done. His shop labor rate must be very reasonable if he only charges the originally quoted price.
Old May 4th, 2017, 06:54 AM

I should find out soon, if not today. I'm going to see and hear it run this morning. The drive shaft is being done, and hopefully the Wilwood power brakes will be completed next week.
Soon as he's done with his part, it will be turned over to my body shop guy for completion. Then he begins work on my '55 Nomad. It will also be a frame off restoration.
Bob
Old May 4th, 2017, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by edzolz
Looks like a heck of a deal. Lots of fab work and professionally done. His shop labor rate must be very reasonable if he only charges the originally quoted price.

I paid off all but $1,300 of the original invoice today, plus I gave him a $200 advance for the parts to terminate the Wilwood brake system.
He still needs to run a different water hose, and align the accelerator pedal (Too close to center) closer to the brake pedal. He will also fab the cold air induction tube.
Most of the convertible parts seem to be there but the frame won't drop all the way down.
Anyone out there with a nice set of seats that will fit this 98? I have a springs only for the back, and an '88 set for the fronts that has no seat cover. The stuffing got wet in the rain and it smells a little damp.
Bob