Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

NEWB From Colorado

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2017, 09:20 AM

Talking NEWB From Colorado

Hey y'all!
I'm the proud owner of a 1964 Oldsmobile Cutlass that i just aquired. It's decent condition. My main goal is to get the damn thing running. Has a L98 Corvette engine inside. Hasn't run in a while. The swap is very incomplete. Needs almost everything. Has a new drivetrain. If anyone has any resources on these L98 swaps I'd love them. I've only ever worked on euros haha.
Old February 7th, 2017, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, I moved your thread to the non-Olds powered section. What questions do you have?
Old February 7th, 2017, 09:58 AM

I'm just curious on what steps to take on an engine that has not run in years.
Old February 7th, 2017, 10:20 AM
Administrator

First make sure there is no nasty old fuel in the tank. If there was (smells like varnish) then the tank needs to come out, drained and cleaned. Pull the float assy and inspect the sock and test float operation. Blow out fuel lines form the fuel pump back. Reassemble with a new rubber line. You can skip this step temporarily and run a fuel line from a container to the fuel pump, ensure the container is a bit higher than the pump to gravity feed fuel.

Pull all the spark plugs and squirt some oil in each cylinder. Pull the distributor and valve covers, use a priming tool and a 1/2 inch drill clockwise until you see oil flowing out of all rockers. Rotate engine by hand a few times and then with the starter. Reinstall valve covers, distributor, and cleaned and gapped spark plugs. Check the point gap, inspect under the cap for creatures or dirt.

Prime the carb and fire it up.
Old February 7th, 2017, 10:27 AM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by Ivan Shelkovich
The swap is very incomplete. Needs almost everything.

Welcome to the site... Since the current swap is incomplete and needs everything, have you considered going back to an Olds drive train???
Good luck with your new project... I'm sure you will be able to obtain a lot of info here to assist you in getting your Olds running again...
Old February 7th, 2017, 10:35 AM

I got this as compensation for some work I did. So essentially it was free. I want to put in around $2000 to get her rolling. From what I can see needs radiator, belt, new pulleys, and some other miscellaneous work. What are the opinions on radiators? Should I go with the '64 olds radiator?
Old February 7th, 2017, 10:45 AM
Administrator

You can go with a stock Olds radiator or an inexpensive aluminum aftermarket. Make sure the inlets and outlets are on the proper sides.