Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

LS powered cars welcome!

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Registered car nut

LS powered cars welcome!

Just thought I'd start a positive thread.
I'm impressed with modified cars as I am with 100 pointers.
Thought since some want to ignore the fact that someone installing the engine of there choice does not negate the information still accessible
here on one of the best sites around.
Might have to start a thread on my V8 Volvo build
Old July 29th, 2011, 11:09 AM

can you post some links to any you have seen I have only seen one olds and one buick other than ace's and gary's68
Old July 29th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Registered car nut

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
can you post some links to any you have seen I have only seen one olds and one buick other than ace's and gary's68
Honestly I'm not a big follower of LS swaps.
I know of many on 67-72 chevytrucks.com They have a sub forum there. Also a couple on TurboBricks (Volvo site) I do think they are cool and awesome engines. Been thinking about doing a LS swap on my wifes 66 Volvo Amazon.
My Olds at this point in my life should and will stay Olds powered. But thats not what I came here to say.

My goal here is to be positive and friendly to Olds owners.
Not just hard core Olds owners.
Old July 29th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by nonhog
my goal here is to be positive and friendly to olds owners.
Not just hard core olds owners.

lol!!!!
Old July 29th, 2011, 06:09 PM

Oh dont ruin my "whipping boy" status here.
I only swapped out the engine, elecrical, AC, um just about everything that makes a 40 yr old car unreliable.
Old July 29th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by garys 68
I only swapped out the engine, elecrical, AC, um just about everything that makes a 40 yr old car unreliable.
And I'll be you kill puppies and rob little old ladies, too .

- Eric
Old July 29th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Registered car nut

Oh dont ruin my "whipping boy" status here.
I hear ya Come to think of it I'm doing the same thing to my "Classic Olds" well it is an Olds engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture 015.jpg (99.8 KB, 78 views)
Old July 29th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

HA!

I've got a buddy who did the opposite: He put a Volvo V6 into an Chevy Luv pickup.
— Just jacked the motor and trans into about the right position, arc welded the mounts to the frame, and welded the yoke onto the old driveshaft - took about a day start to finish.

- Eric
Old July 30th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Administrator

I put a buick V6 in a Triumph Stag, with rack and pinion steering back in the 80's. Talk about 10#'s of stuff in a 5# bag! But man she would run!!!!
Old July 30th, 2011, 07:40 AM

My goal here is to be positive and friendly to Olds owners.
Not just hard core Olds owners.

This thread has inspired me:

I'm going to keep the 307 in the Delta and drop my 330 in a Camaro, then join a Chevy powered forum, and then get upset when I do not get a warm reception
Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:23 PM

There's quite a few threads on LS1tech for A-body cars with LSX drivetrains and modern OD Transmissions.

I say "A-body" because in the engine bay, they're all the same.
So what works for a Chevelle, will work for an Olds.
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...ap-guides.html

As for my other LSX powered classic ,
It's a 1978 Camaro Z28 setup for pro-touring / track racing.
Hotchkis TVS, HPS1000's all around, SC&C control arms, C5 Vette front brakes.
Donor Engine is a 26,000 mile 400hp LS1 / 4L60e motor out of a wrecked 2004 Pontiac GTO.

I've got $34,000 tied up into this one.
All new interior with mint 4th gen SS seats with matching custom rear seats. (Looks ghetto when you only do the fronts IMO)
American Autowire Highway 22 complete new harness and fuse box was done in 2010 with all modern Delphi/GM Weather pack connections.
Push button start, Autometer Cobalt LED Gauges. Covans gauge bezel, etc everything is new inside. Plus $2,000 in stereo gear.
Aftermarket projector headlamps with H4 bulbs and LED turn signals and custom LED Tail lights I made from Semi 4" LED's.
That Grant POS steering wheel has been replaced by a NRG quick release carbon fiber setup with a Mumo style steering wheel.
LS1Radiator.jpg
2010CamaroNewInterior6.jpg
GaugeBezelcompletedSep2009.jpg
2010JuneCamaro.jpg
LEDBrakeLightsCamaro.jpg

Last edited by Aceshigh; February 14th, 2012 at 04:10 AM.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:36 PM

Gary, lets see your Vette LSX Conversion.
Old August 4th, 2011, 12:57 AM

Aces, are those 4 into 1 sidepipes real?
68 corvette convertible, 6.0, Richmond 6 speed, Vintage Air, L88 cowl induction hood. Interior/exterior all look stock (except for uptaded radio), I even converted the mechanical tach to electric.
engine1.jpg
vette1.jpg
DSCN0008.jpg
Old August 4th, 2011, 06:00 AM

Aces, are those 4 into 1 sidepipes real?
They are Hooker 21063HKR

They come with a block off plate on 3 of the primaries, you just have to remove it.
You can see my primaries are FUBAR because I left my car out over 2 winters.

The NEW design says "Stainless steel" so I'm not sure if that's a misprint or not.
Mine obviously were not stainless 5 years ago when I bought em.
Old August 19th, 2011, 08:56 PM

I know this isnt an LS motor "swap", but it is an LS car. It is a 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP with a 6.2L 6spd (1 of 1829). My wifes daily driver.

284841_1839762436134_1302720044_31509241_3224679_n.jpg

269420_1839725195203_1302720044_31509026_4675850_n.jpg

Now I am working on my LS swap into my 69 Cutlass...
Old August 19th, 2011, 10:01 PM

Hot rod is Hot rod while I love Olds and appreciate a gold painted engine the whole point of swappin something with something that shouldnt be there is pretty cool. Don't lie to yourself the task alone is impressive. Braggin rights are earned and an LS conversion is worthy of them.
Old August 20th, 2011, 05:24 AM

I just got back from Hot August Nights and couldn't believe how many Street Rods, Tri-five Chevys, old Trucks, Station Wagons and, yes, even GM Musclecars that are running LS-based motors now. Noticeably more than last year and I'm sure next year will be more still. Definately seems to be the 'way to go' in custom cars nowadays and understandably so. The engines are that good. I had a '98 Trans Am I ordered new and constantly marveled at that LS1.
Old August 20th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Maker of bad decisions

Really, when you get down to it, our hobby is about enjoying what YOU like, not what some other guy likes. So in my opinion, put any engine you like in any chassis. LS into a Cutlass? Go for it! Ford Ecoboost into a Fox body mustang? Why not? SBC into almost anything. Toyota engine into a Saturn. The possibilities are nearly endless.
The important thing is to have fun.
Old August 20th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 80CutlassCalais
Really, when you get down to it, our hobby is about enjoying what YOU like, not what some other guy likes. So in my opinion, put any engine you like in any chassis. LS into a Cutlass? Go for it! Ford Ecoboost into a Fox body mustang? Why not? SBC into almost anything. Toyota engine into a Saturn. The possibilities are nearly endless.
The important thing is to have fun.
Ditto!!!!!
Old August 20th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Since when do a Camaro, Corvette and Pontiac belong on an Oldsmobile board. If you want to put these engines in your Oldsmobile, it is your car and your right to do that. Are we going to start featuring Fords and Tri-Five Chevies on here. All I am saying is please keep this to Oldsmobiles.
Old August 20th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Simple solution. If you don't like it don't read it!!!! God man is this place is starting to turn into a real SNOB haven!!!

Those posts were very relevant to the discussion at hand!

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Since when do a Camaro, Corvette and Pontiac belong on an Oldsmobile board. If you want to put these engines in your Oldsmobile, it is your car and your right to do that. Are we going to start featuring Fords and Tri-Five Chevies on here. All I am saying is please keep this to Oldsmobiles.
Old August 20th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Administrator

With all due respect, if you don't want to talk about or read about this stuff, please skip the thread!

Last edited by oldcutlass; August 20th, 2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old August 20th, 2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by firefighter5174
I know this isnt an LS motor "swap", but it is an LS car. It is a 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP with a 6.2L 6spd (1 of 1829). My wifes daily driver.
The best looking sedan Pontiac has made in DECADES.
I totally dig that car alot and the 2 tone interior.

Such a shame they shut Pontiac down.
Old August 20th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Registered car nut

I have to admit it would be lots of fun to confront a nasty Prius owner with an LS swapped classic. Show a recent smog slip. Tell them it gets 25 MPG (?) and ask for an appology.
Old August 20th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Administrator

I have to admit it would be lots of fun to confront a nasty Prius owner with an LS swapped classic. Show a recent smog slip. Tell them it gets 25 MPG (?) and ask for an appology.

You really can't tell a prius owner anything, they're prius owners for god sakes, out saving the world!
Old August 20th, 2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh
The best looking sedan Pontiac has made in DECADES.
I totally dig that car alot and the 2 tone interior.

Such a shame they shut Pontiac down.
There are a couple big time Pontiac guys in the town I live in and I took them for a ride right after I bought and all they could say was "Holy Sh*t!" Lol. 0-60 in 4.5 sec!
Old August 20th, 2011, 11:32 AM

My cousin has a 2006 GTO and he wants to trade it in on the new Camaro SS.
I told him to keep it, it's only made 3 years and even though it looks like a Cavalier on steroids,
it's going to retain it's value since Pontiac is no longer around and the G8 is retaining it well.

Last edited by Aceshigh; August 20th, 2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old August 20th, 2011, 11:39 AM

We had to drive to Florida to pick this one up 1 month ago. We Got a great deal on this! $31k with 35k miles. There was only 4 6spd cars for sale in the us at the time!
Old August 20th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If you guys go back and look through either this thread or Aceshigh build thread, I defended you guys right to do the LS1 replacement since it is your car and it is what hot rodding started as. My point is you are now on here talking about Pontiacs. I think this is a great car and it is unfortunate that GM and the govt killed it. I would love to have one of these or a late model GTO but I would not write about it on here. I was very polite in my request. You are correct in the fact I can skip the thread with I will do. We have to many people on here stirring up bullshit all the time. I will not do that. Nuff said.
Old August 20th, 2011, 12:15 PM

nonhog

I was actually going to keep the E85 flex fuel feature on my LS swap just for that reason. Kinda wanted to say, Hey, I'm saving the planet and having a fun ride rather than looking like a self important, tree hugging, wimp in a Prius.
Old August 20th, 2011, 01:15 PM

Im not trying to stir the pot anymore, but arent we discussing non-olds powered cars in the non-olds forum? Arent they selling Buick and Monte Carlo parts in the non-olds classifieds?
Old August 20th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Registered car nut

Originally Posted by firefighter5174
Im not trying to stir the pot anymore, but arent we discussing non-olds powered cars in the non-olds forum?
Actually its the "non Olds powered" forum Now they'll change it to "non Olds powered Olds"

Just kidding.

Me I love variety! I think this is the perfect spot for non olds powered vehicles. I don't think I'll add anything to my wifes 5.0 Ford powered
Volvo on here.
Old August 21st, 2011, 07:05 AM

People constantly post Mopar's, Fords, AMC's, Pontiac's, etc from Car shows they visited in the General Discussion areas.
I don't see that as a problem myself. Obviously the Admin staff don't either. So this isn't any different.

No reason to jump in and try to start a problem.

Last edited by Aceshigh; August 21st, 2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old February 12th, 2012, 07:36 AM

A reminder, this is the Non-Olds Powered section. We created this to AVOID conflict. If swapping other brands of engines into Oldsmobiles bothers you DON'T COME HERE! It is not appropriate to rip on others you disagree with.

John
Old February 12th, 2012, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
A reminder, this is the Non-Olds Powered section. We created this to AVOID conflict. If swapping other brands of engines into Oldsmobiles bothers you DON'T COME HERE! It is not appropriate to rip on others you disagree with.

John
When i come to C/O i hit the New Post option. So this IS something i have to see. No reason to Brag and try to get under peoples skin. All im saying is be more respectful. This is a Olds website, full of Olds people. To most Olds guys/gals its is a big NoNo putting any other brand in our beloved Olds. I have dealt with the fact its here. But post like this are unnecessary.

SO as i said, it isnt something i cant ignore. Only way to really avoid it is to just stop coming to classicoldsmobile.com. Is that what you want?????
Old February 12th, 2012, 07:51 AM

WOW has it really gotten to the point that the mods are gonna just delete posts as they please. Really????? Im really starting to dislike it here now.
Old February 12th, 2012, 07:54 AM

Let's see, I've got a Corvette with a Cadillac motor, Richmond transmission, and Vintage Air.
My Olds has a GMC motor, Camaro transmission, Ford radiator fans, Jeep steering box, Chevelle rear end, and Classic Air.
My Chris Craft has Ford motors with Merc cooling and a Marine and a King Air.
How many people on how many websites could I possibly **** off?
I dont even think I can find one of those peeing on a car emblem window stickers that wouldn't apply to me.

Originally Posted by f-85
I dont get it. You go around to car websites to talk about an opposite brand? Sounds like you just like starting sh*t, and try to **** people off! It seems like the point of your thread is just to try to get under peoples skin. OK i get it. your here, your queer, im over it. No reason to run around waving your flag in every ones face annoying people.
Old February 12th, 2012, 07:54 AM

When i come to C/O i hit the New Post option. So this IS something i have to see. No reason to Brag and try to get under peoples skin. All im saying is be more respectful. This is a Olds website, full of Olds people. To most Olds guys/gals its is a big NoNo putting any other brand in our beloved Olds. I have dealt with the fact its here. But post like this are unnecessary.

SO as i said, it isnt something i cant ignore. Only way to really avoid it is to just stop coming to classicoldsmobile.com. Is that what you want?????
I too hit the new post when I log on... but I ignore posts in this section as I feel differently. You don't HAVE to read the posts in every section. Yes, I deleted the posts that could be seen as stirring the pot. We've had people whom I found abrasive on this site and I chose to ignore them rather than fight with them. Enjoy the site, hang out with your friends, but stay away from the areas and people that bother you. John
Old February 12th, 2012, 07:56 AM

WOW has it really gotten to the point that the mods are gonna just delete posts as they please. Really????? Im really starting to dislike it here now.
The Mods here volunteer their time. They delete threads that cause problems. I'm trying to be a peace maker here.
Old February 12th, 2012, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
A reminder, this is the Non-Olds Powered section. We created this to AVOID conflict. If swapping other brands of engines into Oldsmobiles bothers you DON'T COME HERE!
Enough said. If anyone see a new post in the non-Olds powered forum, you can pretty much assume it will be non-Olds powered. If this bothers you, then just do not look at it - ignore it - easy!

Having an offending post deleted should be viewed as a subliminal message that it is violating the user conduct rules somehow. In this case, it would be 'stirring the pot', rules 3 and 4.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...aq_userconduct

We could go strictly by the book and just give infractions and publically shame the ones who post stuff that violate the rules. You know, the "three strikes and you're out" concept.
See "How we handle violations" in the user conduct rules link above.
You will then see that deleting posts is not even on there. A written warning would be first. We are trying to be nicer than instructed...

Quick Reply: LS powered cars welcome!