Non-Olds Engines For discussion on non-Oldsmobile engines. All forum rules apply.

Last resort before I drop in Chevy power.

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2013, 07:34 AM

And yet another Olds gets desecrated with a Chitty 350 transplant. Booooo.
Old January 7th, 2013, 07:43 AM
" Hoo yah "

Originally Posted by DoubleV
X2. I realize its his car, but its getting kinda of old for people to come here to ask for technical help, then mention I have a Chevy 350 taking up space to ultimately decide that is the route they were most like going in the first place. Kinda like going to a Chargers cookout with a Raider shirt on! I'm just saying.

Last edited by 815Cutlass1972; January 7th, 2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old January 7th, 2013, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by doublev
and yet another olds gets desecrated with a chitty 350 transplant. Booooo.
x3
Old January 7th, 2013, 01:25 PM

nothing wrong with a chebby. just doesnt belong in an olds
Old January 7th, 2013, 03:42 PM
jfb

food for thought throttle position sensor and coolant sensor check them the throttle sensor controls your throttle point like when your car dies down in drive at a light.
Old January 7th, 2013, 03:55 PM

Ok guys I figured out the solution... whoever is that upset with the possibility(never said it was definite) of a GM motor going into a another GM car can come down to South Florida and fix this 307 for me, or better yet buy the 403 from Craigslist, and cover any and all expenses related to keeping my 1984 Delta 88 on the road with an Oldsmobile motor.

Desecrated is a pretty strong word! You'd think it would be cool that this car didn't end up in the junk yard or all hacked up and jacked up with some stupid *** theme paint job 5 feet in the air. I would understand if it was a 69' 442 Cutlass convertible or something, but come on now it's a 4 door 80's Delta 88.

I'm a single father, with a job, and in school. Needless to say, time and money are limited. The car is an expense just sitting there as I am paying insurance on it; I bought it to drive it, not sit. I don't have time to waste chasing issues to make a shitty 150hp 80's emissions motor run half way decent. I also don't have spare money laying around to spend on another Olds motor just to keep guys on an internet forum happy.

Thanks again to everybody who has added constructive information to this thread and helped me learn a few things.

Special thanks to the guys that contributed nothing to this thread other than whining about a Chevy motor going into an Oldsmobile.
Old January 7th, 2013, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by jfb
food for thought throttle position sensor and coolant sensor check them the throttle sensor controls your throttle point like when your car dies down in drive at a light.

Where would I find the TPS, and is the coolant sensor on the intake toward the front driver side of the motor?
Old January 7th, 2013, 04:23 PM
" Hoo yah "

If your going the Chevy route that is fine, but ask a moderator to move this thread to the proper place, before it gets out of hand as it always does, when someone comes to an Oldsmobile board, and mentions in the topic post " Last resort before I drop in Chevy power ". Good luck on whatever you do with it! It is your car, so do as you please, but don't expect Olds guys on a Olds dominated board not to voice their opinions. Malibu Racing has tons of information on those swaps btw. I understand the family situation!!!! I commend you for what you are doing by being a single father!!!! Not many fathers in childrens lives nowadays.

Kino
Old January 7th, 2013, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by 815Cutlass1972
If your going the Chevy route that is fine, but ask a moderator to move this thread to the proper place, before it gets out of hand as it always does, when someone comes to an Oldsmobile board, and mentions in the topic post " Last resort before I drop in Chevy power ". Good luck on whatever you do with it! It is your car, so do as you please, but don't expect Olds guys on a Olds dominated board not to voice their opinions. Malibu Racing has tons of information on those swaps btw. I understand the family situation!!!! I commend you for what you are doing by being a single father!!!! Not many fathers in childrens lives nowadays.

Kino
Thanks... what is the proper place for this thread?
Old January 7th, 2013, 05:05 PM
" Hoo yah "

Originally Posted by GetDown
Thanks... what is the proper place for this thread?
Sent ya an pm boss.

Kino
Old January 7th, 2013, 05:13 PM

A Chevy forum!

Food for thought; if money is an issue and your goal is to just have a decent running car, how is swapping in a different make engine instead of fixing what's wrong with what you already have the better option? Yes, you already have a Chubby engine sitting there collecting dust, but do you have all of the parts to do the swap? Do you have the time to locate all the parts you don't have. Do you have the money for these parts?

For all you know, what you already have may just need a solid tune-up and some tweaking, but it seems you don't want to get out there and fix anything. If you were serious about it, you would at least have made an attempt to learn about what you have and listen to those who are/where trying to help you fix your problems.

Worse case, assuming your computer on your car is all fucked to hell, a simple non CCC Qjet and HEI could solve all your problems ( other than all your leaks which anyone can fix ). It sounded like you were going to go this route, then suddenly you're thinking a Chitty swap will solve all your problems.

Why don't you tell us again exactly what it is you're REALLY trying to accomplish here. If it's to get your Olds running right for cheap, we can help. If it's just to swap in a Chubby, then you're in the wrong place.
Old January 7th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Make sure you have all accesory brackets, frame and motor plus a sbc pattern trans. Otherwise your swap is far from free and pain free. That 403 will literally bolt directly in, same mounts, accesories etc. I will be ten times more fun. That sbc better be mild and built for torque. My Olds 307 blew away the stock sbc 350 with 2.76 gears in a 78 1/2 ton. You probably have 2.14's. The sbc seems less forgiving with awful gearing.
Old January 7th, 2013, 09:27 PM

Ok, as I've stated previously the 307 in the car has a tapping noise coming from a lifter, pushrod, etc. in the valvetrain. I'm not sure what it is, but it's getting worse. Aside from the BS with the computer, this is another issue to be addressed. Also, I mentioned the leaking water pump, thermostat housing, and fuel pump. The exhaust manifolds leak as well. With that in mind, it's clear that a simple carb and dizzy swap are not the end of the road. This motor has to be gone through, and with 90k miles, I'm sure there are other things that will pop up. Again, it's seeming like ALOT of time and decent amount of $$$ to get a 150hp emissions motor running straight. This motor already has new plugs, wires, cap&rotor, thermostat, water pump, timing chain, valve cover gaskets, and fuel pump. The previous owner just did a horrible job replacing these things and felt the need to go overboard with RTV(hence all the leaks).

Money is an issue, but my time is more of an issue. I have money to spend but not alot, and I want to spend it smart. I don't want to waste it, or my time.

I have a complete SBC 350 4 bolt, 010 block, .060 over, forged rotating assembly, huge cam, and p&p heads. The motor has under 1500 miles. I have headers for sbc that will fit the Delta. I have two th350's and a 700r4 , also a 3000rpm converter for a th350 and multiple stock units. I have two Holley street avenger carbs one 770 one 670, and as of last night a 1405 Edelbrock. I have a GM zz4 dual plane intake, and an Edelbrock single plane intake. New radiator and electric fan, kickdown cables, trans cooler and lines, brackets, gaskets, starters, water pumps, etc. I'd probably swap the dual plane that's on the motor now for the single plane, and the 770 for the freshly rebuilt 670. Water pump, alternator, and ps pump are all on the motor and new as well. I had this motor in my 73 Impala and even with a stock torque converter it made that car FLY! The Delta is 500-600lbs lighter I believe.

The ONLY thing I need(unless I missed something) is motor mounts, and a solid day to dedicate to it. My best friend lives close by and has the facilities, and has offered his help. From what I can tell a th350 will work with the trans xmember and driveshaft. After the motor swap, obviously the headers would need to be welded up to the existing exhaust tubing, and while we could handle that welding is not a strong point, so I have a good cheap exhaust guy.
Old January 8th, 2013, 01:57 AM

So you want a high performance engine and already planned on swapping in your Chubby this whole time then right? If so then what was the point in starting this thread in the first place?

Last edited by DoubleV; January 8th, 2013 at 01:59 AM.
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Jeez guys lighten up. I believe as the OP stated he wanted to keep the 307 if he could fix it. That being said, going from an Olds motor to a Chevrolet is not the end of the world as we know it. And yes, some people here are very narrow minded on the way they think, but mean well.

You are right it's an easy swap and it sounds like you have mostly everything you need. You do need frame brackets to do this conversion and some minor wiring changes to adapt the starter and possibly the alternator to the opposite side, plus a few other incidentals. It's basically a bolt in.

However, I would at least really try and fix the one you have. As you stated it runs fine until the computer tries to compensate for a bad input. Maybe someone here lives close to you willing to lend a hand.

Last edited by oldcutlass; January 8th, 2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I personally would opt for the extra horsepower.
GM RUINED these cars from the factory in my opinion. Almost every piece of the drivetrain is absolute garbage in stock form. ANY upgrade of the drivetrain in a 1981-1984 delta 88 is welcome in my book. That being said........ a crappy 150 horse chev replacing a crappy 150 horse olds is a different story.

The 307 is JUNK for these full sizes. Even when GM finally got the 307 where it needed to be with the hyd roller lifters.....they proceeded to ruin it some more with the 7A heads.
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Come drive my 4200 lb electra with factory steel bumper inserts, tow hitch, and a small boat trailer on the back........ you will be cursing GM every time you get to a stoplight or small hill.
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Jeez guys lighten up. I believe as the OP stated he wanted to keep the 307 if he could fix it. That being said, going from an Olds motor to a Chevrolet is not the end of the world as we know it. And yes, some people here are very narrow minded on the way they think, but mean well.

You are right it's an easy swap and it sounds like you have mostly everything you need. You do need frame brackets to do this conversion and some minor wiring changes to adapt the starter and possibly the alternator to the opposite side, plus a few other incidentals. It's basically a bolt in.

However, I would at least really try and fix the one you have. As you stated it runs fine until the computer tries to compensate for a bad input. Maybe someone here lives close to you willing to lend a hand.
Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
I personally would opt for the extra horsepower.
GM RUINED these cars from the factory in my opinion. Almost every piece of the drivetrain is absolute garbage in stock form. ANY upgrade of the drivetrain in a 1981-1984 delta 88 is welcome in my book. That being said........ a crappy 150 horse chev replacing a crappy 150 horse olds is a different story.

The 307 is JUNK for these full sizes. Even when GM finally got the 307 where it needed to be with the hyd roller lifters.....they proceeded to ruin it some more with the 7A heads.
Thanks fellas, at least some members don't feel I should be put in front of a firing squad for possibly doing a swap that I really didn't want to do in the first place.

Drove the car to work tonight (5 minutes) and the tapping sound mysteriously disappeared. Drove worse than ever. If it was a lifter it probably just disintegrated, or whatever it was just broke. I'm also thinking the previous owner chose not to divulge some information.

Believe it or not, I'm highly disappointed that this motor is not in the condition I presumed it to be. The last thing I want to be doing is a motor swap right now, but, considering the circumstances it's looking like the most realistic option.
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:56 AM

So you want a high performance engine and already planned on swapping in your Chubby this whole time then right? If so then what was the point in starting this thread in the first place?

You sir obviously chose to make false comments without reading the entirety of my posts. I have a high performance engine, not want one. If you go back and actually read the posts from the beginning you might understand a little better.

I mean seriously, the title of the thread is pretty self explanatory.
Asking for help, and trying some things with the motor, within a reasonable expense of energy and money is my "Last resort before I drop in Chevy Power". Ya understand?

Thanks for contributing nothing to this thread other than pointing out the obvious in your first post, and expressing a very condescending tone in your text throughout the rest of thread. If you don't like the thread, my opinions, or plans, then why continue to view the thread and comment?
Old January 9th, 2013, 02:42 AM

You sir obviously chose to make false comments without reading the entirety of my posts. I have a high performance engine, not want one. If you go back and actually read the posts from the beginning you might understand a little better.

I mean seriously, the title of the thread is pretty self explanatory.
Asking for help, and trying some things with the motor, within a reasonable expense of energy and money is my "Last resort before I drop in Chevy Power". Ya understand?

Thanks for contributing nothing to this thread other than pointing out the obvious in your first post, and expressing a very condescending tone in your text throughout the rest of thread. If you don't like the thread, my opinions, or plans, then why continue to view the thread and comment?
Listen up pal, I read your thread from the beginning and I know what the deal is. It's obvious I know you already have your high performance engine. And don't sit there and tell me I contributed nothing to this thread as I and others tried helping you but you sir didn't/don't want to listen to anyone's advice proven by the fact you've done absolutely nothing that anyone has advised you on. Nothing at all. Maybe you thought your car would heal itself like Christine?

So from where I'm sitting ( and I've seen it before plenty of times ) it seems like you're just looking for an excuse to put your Chubby in, and I say that because you just complained about how bad your Olds was running but weren't doing anything to remedy that. It's almost as if you were expecting everyone to say 'wow, your engine must really be f*cked up, you should just do the Chevy swap and all of your problems would be solved'.

BTW, what happened to that distributor you were going to get from the boneyard? And now I see you have some extra carbs laying around, why don't you just use the small one on the Olds even if just temporary? If you really wanted to get your car running correctly without the engine swap then why haven't you did any of this ( or anything at all for that matter ) yet?

I just find it silly anyone would go through the effort of an engine swap just because they don't want to fix ( or even check ) what the problem is on their current one which is alot less work. To me it's like buying all new wheels because your tire's are low on air.

In the end it's your car and your life so do whatever you want. Fix it, don't fix it, put in a Ford engine, stare at it in your garage, buy an old Camero and grow a mullet. Whatever floats your boat. Just don't sit there and accuse me of not trying to help you as it was obvious that's what I was trying to do.
Old January 9th, 2013, 10:34 AM

I already have a mullet and I sold my camaro. I like how you say I've done absolutely nothing, because you have been here going through the motor with me right? I have done some minor checks and as I will repeat for the third or fourth time, it's not worth it to fix the 307 now. The fuel pump started leaking after I started this thread, the tapping sound got worse, the tranny started acting funny, and the car just started driving worse all together.

I guess I'm silly because I can do a motor swap in a few hours with a perfect condition motor and tranny and $300.

Instead you think I should be buying and replacing gaskets, possibly the whole fuel pump and water pump, along with distributor and carburetor. Oh don't forget the intake manifold with the stripped out threads for the thermostat housing I'd have to change(at least I have an extra olds manifold). Oh wait the exhaust manifolds are leaky as well. What about the valvetrain issue? Is that gonna fix itself, hmm might as well buy new lifters and pushrods and do that while the intake is off. Add new valve cover gaskets to the list of all the other gaskets. Ok so that's done now I gotta buy a lock-up kit for the transmission that is a pos and already actin funny, possibly about to blow up.

Yea sounds like alot of work, money, and time, thanks DoubleV for convincing me the Chevy swap is the best idea!

Don't worry I will start a new thread in the "non-olds powered" section once I get the engine swap under way.
Old January 9th, 2013, 11:49 AM

I'll be honest, I just don't give a crap anymore so I'll just take this one last parting shot because it's so funny;

I Ok so that's done now I gotta buy a lock-up kit for the transmission that is a pos and already actin funny, possibly about to blow up.
An engine swap will now cure all of your tranny problems? LOL!

P.S. Since Chubby swaps have been gone over a hundred times before, why don't you just Google the info you need? That way you don't need to waste anyones time with your questions since you won't listen to anyone anyway!
Old January 9th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Administrator

DoubleV you don't speak for the majority here, so you had your fun, just move on.
Old January 9th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I will move this to non Olds now.
Old January 9th, 2013, 04:40 PM

I'll be honest, I just don't give a crap anymore so I'll just take this one last parting shot because it's so funny;

An engine swap will now cure all of your tranny problems? LOL!

P.S. Since Chubby swaps have been gone over a hundred times before, why don't you just Google the info you need? That way you don't need to waste anyones time with your questions since you won't listen to anyone anyway!
As I previously stated, I have 2 th350s and a 700r4 to pick from for the swap. I don't need any info on the swap, and didn't ask a single question about the swap. Did I? All my questions have been regarding the 307 and the 200c transmission.

Nice parting shot, you completely missed the target, Clown.
Old January 9th, 2013, 04:42 PM

J-(Chicago) thanks for the thread move. I don't know who the Moderators are on here, but I'm guessing you're one of them.
Old January 9th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Registered Luser

If the guy wanted to do the swap from the get go, I don't think he would have wasted his or our time here......he would have just done it! I don't think he woke up one day, and said to himself, "I think I will start a thread on CO today, and get a bunch of Olds guys, who I don't know personally, or can even see, upset when I tell them I'm going to put a Chevy motor in my Olds! That sounds like a great way to spend (waste) my time......." Give this guy a little break...
Old January 9th, 2013, 07:14 PM

Just to add more fuel to the fire, how far will that $300 go after you figure in the exhaust (which wont fit the chebby engine) radiator hoses, fan shroud, and the other stuff that will nickle and dime you to death?
If your really interested in getting this car running correctly (and cheaply) sell the small block chevy, look for a Olds 350 or 403. Its a bolt in swap, nothing needs changed, and would probably run just as well as the modified chevy when you consider the crappy gearing thats in the car.

Not that you care, but if you went this way I would reconsider the real purpose of starting a thread like this on a Oldsmobile forum. It is no secret I despise chevy crossbreeding, especially when rationalized by the "chevy is cheaper" mentality.
Old January 9th, 2013, 07:29 PM
GM Enthusiast

[QUOTE=GetDown;495188]
I guess I'm silly because I can do a motor swap in a few hours with a perfect condition motor and tranny and $300.
QUOTE]

I agree with you, it definitely sounds like this motor needs too much work at this point and probably requires a rebuild. And, it would be a lot better as some others stated to switch to an Olds 350 or 403 so the car had some good power.

But with a tight budget and a fresh chevy motor hanging around, I would drop it in. You could go for the stealth look with dual exhaust out the back, blackwall tires and some dog dish hubcaps. A friend of mind did that and it looked mean.

Good luck with your install and post some pictures of the project.
Old January 9th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by matt69olds
Just to add more fuel to the fire...
Give it a rest already.

The guy has a poor-running low-performance engine in his car and a functional engine sitting in his garage, which, with the addition of two frame brackets, some exhaust changes (which he may have needed to do anyway if he was upgrading the engine), and two radiator hoses, is a bolt-in for his car.

Do you really think anyone in his right mind would do anything but drop in his good engine?

We're not talking about a valuable or collectible car here, folks, we're talking about a soulless, poorly-built, generic '80s GM crap-box. Nobody here can tell me that they can tell the difference between one of these and an Impala or a Bonneville, or a LeSabre if the trim is removed (I know I can't, and I remember thinking the same thing when they were introduced).

Why not save your breath for the guy dropping a 396 into a '63 98.
This car and this situation really isn't worth it.

- Eric
Old January 9th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Use your 700r4 and find 8.5 rear out of a later b body cop car. Actually being a Delta, it should have 2.41's instead of 2.14's, still awful. Your mileage will suck and may be nearly as gutless as the 307 without stall and gears.
Old January 9th, 2013, 09:34 PM

In regards to mattsold69 I figured the exhaust into the $300 as I once again previously stated I have headers that fit full size GM cars for the sbc, the car already has dual exhaust, and I have a good exhaust guy who is only going to charge me about $80 to weld on some ball flange collectors to the existing tubing. I have extra radiator hoses, and If I don't have the right one I will use one of my commercial accounts at Advance, Autozone, or Congress auto and try somehow to come up with the whole $20 for new radiator hoses. I have a 3 row radiator with an electrical fan on it that fits the car, and even some relays to wire it up.

There is no "chevy is cheaper" mentality here, especially when I am held to a higher standard locally for running Chevy anything. I got friends runnin 500 plus rwhp with sbc's who aren't gonna be very lenient.

To OLDSKl, Mdchanic, n olds 307 and 403 and a few others, thanks for appreciation of reality. I'm a member of a few forums, and post count doesnt always mean everything, but it's usually pretty easy to tell who's on the ball rather quickly.

I'm going to use a th350 I have now for the time being as I have a 3000stall for it which is perfect for the cam in the sbc. Gears and a posi unit are definitely plans for the future I'm thinking 3.42, 3.55, 3.73, depending on what I end up doing with the rear. I'd really like the 700r4 as well but I'd rather deal with crossmember and driveshaft issues later, seeing as the th350 will fit right using whats there. Also I don't have a converter for the 700r4.

To ent72, how in the world did you figure out my evil plot? lol

Pictures coming after I write an essay for school...
Old January 9th, 2013, 10:43 PM

delta.jpg

The best pic I have right now, I will take some more soon.
Old January 10th, 2013, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Mine has a 468BBC/T400 it was an easy swap. Like you it was laying around,iIf you have any questions feel free to pm me or post. Nice car, good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old January 10th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by MDchanic
This car and this situation really isn't worth it.

- Eric
x2. They made 90,000 of these 4 doors per year, for 6 years.
Old January 10th, 2013, 11:01 AM

Histry Lesson

Originally Posted by 815Cutlass1972
X2. I realize its his car, but its getting kinda of old for people to come here to ask for technical help, then mention I have a Chevy 350 taking up space to ultimately decide that is the route they were most like going in the first place. Kinda like going to a Chargers cookout with a Raider shirt on! I'm just saying.
Guys:
I was a Parts guy back in the day when you had a 7' catalog rack, pre computer days stuff. GM was notorius for putting a chevy engine in other brands on the assembly line, depending on the VIN code #, a life long "BUICK" guy would be very upset when he realized that smooth running engine was really a bowtie.
Ron
Old January 10th, 2013, 07:01 PM
GM Enthusiast

No problem Getdown. Hope your swap goes smoothly!

Guys:
I was a Parts guy back in the day when you had a 7' catalog rack, pre computer days stuff. GM was notorius for putting a chevy engine in other brands on the assembly line, depending on the VIN code #, a life long "BUICK" guy would be very upset when he realized that smooth running engine was really a bowtie.
Ron
Your so right Ron. I am a huge E-body fan of the 79-85 series (Eldorado, Toronado, Riviera). I have an Olds engine in my Riv and I really don't find that upsetting. Of course, I would have preferred the Olds 350 over the 307.
Old January 21st, 2013, 08:37 PM

*Update* Car has pretty much just been sitting. Put some different wheels on it, and took a drive to the tint shop to accomplish nothing. Waiting for the space at my buddy's house to do the swap.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Let us know how it works out.
Old February 1st, 2013, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
x3
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMuscle71
nothing wrong with a chebby. just doesnt belong in an olds
yes to all

Ok guys I figured out the solution... whoever is that upset with the possibility(never said it was definite) of a GM motor going into a another GM car can come down to South Florida and fix this 307 for me, or better yet buy the 403 from Craigslist, and cover any and all expenses related to keeping my 1984 Delta 88 on the road with an Oldsmobile motor.

Desecrated is a pretty strong word! You'd think it would be cool that this car didn't end up in the junk yard or all hacked up and jacked up with some stupid *** theme paint job 5 feet in the air. I would understand if it was a 69' 442 Cutlass convertible or something, but come on now it's a 4 door 80's Delta 88.

I'm a single father, with a job, and in school. Needless to say, time and money are limited. The car is an expense just sitting there as I am paying insurance on it; I bought it to drive it, not sit. I don't have time to waste chasing issues to make a shitty 150hp 80's emissions motor run half way decent. I also don't have spare money laying around to spend on another Olds motor just to keep guys on an internet forum happy.

Thanks again to everybody who has added constructive information to this thread and helped me learn a few things.

Special thanks to the guys that contributed nothing to this thread other than whining about a Chevy motor going into an Oldsmobile.

OK I too am a single dad, court ordered to pay more child support than I should be paying. However, I'm still finding the money to drop an Olds motor into my Delta. Just saying.

Quick Reply: Last resort before I drop in Chevy power.