1984 Oldsmobile 98 Bumper Filler Repair Costs

Old December 19th, 2015, 04:09 PM

1984 Oldsmobile 98 Bumper Filler Repair Costs

Thinking of buying a 1984 Oldsmobile 98; however, the rear bumper filler is partially gone. Apparently, this is a fairly common issue with these vehicles. I've looked at the replacement filler online, they cost almost $300 and are primed only, so it has to be painted to match the rest of the car. How much does it usually cost a guy to replace the filler (even if I buy the part)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
01010_2U3pLbGNJL4_600x450.jpg (42.6 KB, 27 views)
Old December 19th, 2015, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site. The car either has a bad shadow or it has been repainted from the rear doo forward on the side. I would imagine your probably looking at another $300 to install and paint the filler.
Old December 19th, 2015, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Welcome to the site. The car either has a bad shadow or it has been repainted from the rear doo forward on the side. I would imagine your probably looking at another $300 to install and paint the filler.
So it's basically a $600 job or so total?
Old December 19th, 2015, 06:50 PM
Administrator

That's what I'm thinking... Lets see what others may say. I'd call around to body shops in your area to be safe.
Old December 19th, 2015, 07:26 PM

That's what I'm thinking... Lets see what others may say. I'd call around to body shops in your area to be safe.
I've been looking on Ebay and I've found out that those side fillers are actually separate from the main rear bumper fillers. They're also much cheaper (only like $70 for two). It doesn't seem like a very difficult replacement job; the only real difficulty would be getting good auto paint that could match the car's color.
Old December 19th, 2015, 07:31 PM
Administrator

You have the cost of the paint and material, plus the labor to paint and install it if your not doing the work yourself.
Old December 19th, 2015, 08:00 PM

You have the cost of the paint and material, plus the labor to paint and install it if your not doing the work yourself.
Yea, I'll do it myself if I can get the paint. If the car has the color name and code listed, would that be able to help me track down the right color? If so, who would be able to supply the paint?
Old December 21st, 2015, 05:51 PM

Take your old filler in to a good paint store and have them match it. Your car has changed through the years enough that it no longer is what the code says it is.... Tedd
Old December 29th, 2015, 06:47 PM

I replaced my side parts my self repainted them with Duplicolor paint from auto parts store. Mine was easy as it is white fitting was easy all I had to do was enlarge the hole to get a proper fit they are held on with a few self tapping style bolts
Old January 2nd, 2016, 07:42 AM

Fiberglass fillers

Originally Posted by Aguaros
Thinking of buying a 1984 Oldsmobile 98; however, the rear bumper filler is partially gone. Apparently, this is a fairly common issue with these vehicles. I've looked at the replacement filler online, they cost almost $300 and are primed only, so it has to be painted to match the rest of the car. How much does it usually cost a guy to replace the filler (even if I buy the part)?

I replaced mine with fiberglass replacements because I was only able to find one aftermarket filler that is 3 pieces instead of 4 (no seam in the center for the rear filler). This appears original. Unfortunately the fiberglass is fairly rigid and was a PIA to work with. The supplier is a grouchy old man, so even though I had to send some of the side fillers back due to imperfections he does stand by his products. I'm pleased with the final result. The parts were $210 and I had a local body shop that does excellent work paint them for me for cash $200. The cost and all the cursing I did was well worth it because this was the only major flaw and detraction on my Ninety Eight. It made a world of difference to its appearance. To do this job you would need a dremel tool to reshape the side fillers and adjust the holes. You will also need new plastic body panel retainers for the rear filler, and help to remount the bumper. let me know if you want the supplier's info and if I can help you more.
Brady
bjrnwbr@yahoo.com

Seamless rear filler

Old January 2nd, 2016, 07:52 AM

The paint code is on a label on the underside of the trunk, but because of the cars age you would have to color match. Based on the photo it appears some of the car is repainted, and some is original and faded...so what color do you choose? Have you considered having the the entire car repainted the original color? (briar brown)