Why do I keep looking

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2015, 08:36 AM

Why do I keep looking

Was just casually browsing the local internet classifieds and tripped across this gem.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/l...ationFlag=true

I don't need another land yacht ... but this is soooooo nice. Help me say no.
Old November 5th, 2015, 09:18 AM
Administrator

I think you should run away from that. Sure the entry price is cheap, the getting it back on the road price is not. If it were a 70's model, yeah I'd say go for it.
Old November 5th, 2015, 09:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I think you should run away from that. Sure the entry price is cheap, the getting it back on the road price is not. If it were a 70's model, yeah I'd say go for it.
X2. Wrong wheel drive, not enough cylinders, not even an Olds motor. Also, not particularly attractive.
Old November 5th, 2015, 11:32 AM

This comment seems odd:

The car presently does not start so can not see millages.
It is not necessary to start the engine for the instrument cluster to light up. Assuming the wiring is all there, all that's needed is a battery and then turn the key to ON, right?
Old November 5th, 2015, 11:39 AM

I'm thinking the battery is toast and by 'not starting' he means 'dead battery'. If I ask, I'll probably wind up going to look at it. If I go look at it ... it'll probably end up following me home. If it follows me home, I'll have to find somewhere to park it. And since it's rated at about twice the fuel mileage of my Custom Cruiser, I'll probably end up driving it everywhere.
Old November 6th, 2015, 10:56 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Well I have a soft spot for H Bodies. OK, they are GM cars with Buick, Oldsmobile, or Pontiac badges, and are unlikely to make an impact on the collecter car scene until there aren't many left.
But the Buick V6 is as tough as they come, anyone can fix one, and they can go many miles between tankfuls of gas given a light right foot. And it can get a move on too on open roads.
If you like it and it seems a good deal go for it, If you saw a non Oldsmobile car at a great price would you walk away on principle?.

Roger.
Old November 6th, 2015, 11:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rustyroger
If you saw a non Oldsmobile car at a great price would you walk away on principle?.
Actually, yes. I'm too invested in parts, tools, and service manuals from Olds to expand into other markets. Truth be told, we DO have a 2002 Volvo V40 wagon. My wife wanted a small car to drive and it was good looking and got good mileage. She has had to get a larger car now, so I snagged a low-mileage 1985 D88 grandma car for cheap. She loves it, and I can fix it in my sleep. I'm just running the Volvo into the ground while I assemble my 72 442 as a daily driver. Too much gratuitous electronics, all of which are starting to go bad at once. Repairs are a PITA due to the compactness of the car, and I don't have the right tools and diagnostic equipment. I'm going to dump it as soon as I can.
Old November 6th, 2015, 11:26 AM

I emailed about it ... no reply to date. I think I'm safe.
Old November 7th, 2015, 11:16 AM

My wife liked her '93 Regency. Rode well, was comfy, good looking car, good gas millage. The touring comes with fog lights and bucket seats, ours had a bench seat (Elite) And then suddenly....she was struck by an SUV as she was stopped in traffic and the car was bent enough to scrap it. And then came the '96 Aurora
Old November 27th, 2015, 08:41 PM
1988 Delta 88

Originally Posted by rustyroger
Well I have a soft spot for H Bodies. OK, they are GM cars with Buick, Oldsmobile, or Pontiac badges, and are unlikely to make an impact on the collecter car scene until there aren't many left.
But the Buick V6 is as tough as they come, anyone can fix one, and they can go many miles between tankfuls of gas given a light right foot. And it can get a move on too on open roads.
If you like it and it seems a good deal go for it, If you saw a non Oldsmobile car at a great price would you walk away on principle?.

Roger.

To be fair it's a C body, not an H even though the styling looks awfully similar. It's also a '96 so it's most likely got the Series 2 with all it's glorious design problems.
Old November 28th, 2015, 07:32 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Don't take offense but in my opinion that is one of the cars that helped put Oldsmobile out of business. Calling that car a 98 would be like calling me a Rhodes Scholar. It may be a decent car and serve your purpose well, but it is a long way from an Olds 98.