Rubber fuel line?

Old October 10th, 2015, 02:18 PM

Rubber fuel line?

Hi all, have a question on my 1964 Ninety Eight. was screwing around this morning on another issue and got underneath and noticed there is a rubber fuel line inside the frame on the passenger side! Goes from the front all the way to gas tank. I have not spent to much time tracing it out yet, but I was curious if this is correct? There is a metal one on the outside screwed to the frame, but what's going on with the rubber?
All I could think of was if this is a GM original thing, it must be the return and is added for cars that have a big engine compared to the smaller engine? Am right at all?

Thanks!
Old October 10th, 2015, 03:58 PM

ha ha
NO
GM never used several feet of rubber fuel line.

original line was rusted and PO did the easy thing and ran rubber from tank to fuel pump, most likely.
Old October 10th, 2015, 06:30 PM

Ugh, how did I figure. I guess I was just trying to think positive here. Time to search Classic Tube and get some replacement metal lines for next season. Can't imagine the look of the brake lines, now it is time to get a better look underneath!
This rust thing really sucks. Car is originally from Madison, Wisconsin which can't get much worse for the elements. Some parts of the car are so perfect, and then some others are such a let down. I really checked things out before I bought the car but there is only so much you can get to. I knew it to be a project so it's hardly a killer but still.

Chris
Old October 11th, 2015, 09:28 AM

Actually on my 63 there is a metal line mounted in the frame rail from the firewall to the rear wheel well with rubber lines at both ends attaching to the tank and fuel pump. This is how the factory did it as shown in the FSM, I would assume your 64 was the same. One of the first things I did was replace all the rubber with new fuel injection quality line.
Old October 11th, 2015, 02:49 PM

Might also be a good idea to check the brake lines too. If the fuel line rusted, it seems likely the brake line would too.
Old October 11th, 2015, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Don R.
Actually on my 63 there is a metal line mounted in the frame rail from the firewall to the rear wheel well with rubber lines at both ends attaching to the tank and fuel pump. This is how the factory did it as shown in the FSM, I would assume your 64 was the same. One of the first things I did was replace all the rubber with new fuel injection quality line.
Don, you are right! I just received my service manuals and did some reading last night. Mine is the same way. The line in the frame looks to be the feed, and the return is on the outside perimeter. There is a lot of rubber on both lines, and it looks like the factory DID run those lines through the frame in the rear to the tank. News to me!
In my case, the line in the frame must have rusted and the previous owner ran rubber all the way...once I get the car in the air I have that project.
You people in these nice climates have it made with the little to no rust!

Thanks Brown and yes, I need to check out those brake lines for sure. Probably a little more important than the fuel lines unless the car ignites!

Chris
Old October 28th, 2015, 01:44 PM

My 1961 Dynamic 88 w 394 also has rubber hose at both ends, steel lines running along the right inside frame rail. I inspected the hose and discovered the inner hose is deteriorated and plan to replace it this winter (only 54 years). The car is currently garaged until fuel lines can be replaced.
Old October 29th, 2015, 11:49 AM
Oldsdruid

Wait'll you try to replace the rubber lines that run thru the front and rear frame rails, especially if it's a factory air car with a return line...
Old October 30th, 2015, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Wait'll you try to replace the rubber lines that run thru the front and rear frame rails, especially if it's a factory air car with a return line...

Very true. The front lines had just been replaced by the PO when I got my car but they - improvised - the locations. when I replaced my alternator and radiator I could finally see them, one of the lines was stretched and rubbing on the control arm! I re-replaced and routed correctly while the front parts were out.
Old October 30th, 2015, 10:36 AM
Oldsdruid

Yup- I think I swore at my blue Starfire over that job more than anything else I ever did to it. I also questioned the parentage of the engineers who came up with such a design.

Suffice to say that the usual way of tying the new hoses to the old and pulling them thru the frame rails was a true exercise in frustration. Old lines were in such bad shape that the braided wire I used to attach the new hoses to them pulled thru the old dryrotted rubber every time I tried to pull then thru the frame. Even one of those Chinese finger things didn't do but so good.