help with trunk weatherstrip for 66

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2015, 09:36 AM

help with trunk weatherstrip for 66

This has been a five-year issue and I'm desperate for a fix. Trunk for my '66 98 never leaked -- until I put in a new weatherstrip! I'm on my third new one, now, figuring I've been putting them in wrong. Body man tells me it's in right, but they don't make em as good as they used to. I've been locked in and can see light up around both hinge areas, and down the sides near the rear corners too. Anyone else experience this, and is there a better brand than I've been getting? Last one was from Fusick.
Old July 1st, 2015, 10:29 AM
Auto Enthusiast

Steele is probably the best. You may have installed it with the wrong side up. It looks right both ways, that's what makes it tricky. it would even fool your body guy as it looks correct. If the truck closes with no resistance to the weather strip, it is installed wrong and will leak.
Old July 1st, 2015, 11:36 AM

That is very interesting. Checking another threat, I see mine was in differently. Is the outside edge supposed to have two rubber edges out of the groove?
Old July 1st, 2015, 12:37 PM

I meant "thread" -- checking another thread. From the photo somebody posted, I noticed the long edge of the rubber should be pointing outward from the trunk. Mine had been pointing in. It also seems like the rubber doesn't have to be pushed down into the groove very far. That leaves a "double edge" of rubber facing out. That sound right to anybody out there?
Old July 1st, 2015, 04:40 PM
Auto Enthusiast

http://www.steelerubber.com/trunk-we...rip-70-0510-85

This is how it goes in the groove of your trunk channel if you were installing it on the right side of the trunk. I hope this helps!
Old July 4th, 2015, 09:42 AM

Yes, thank you, that does confirm I now have it in correctly. Before I glue it in, I've got a mess of old yellowish adhesive to get out. It does not come out easily. Goo Gone? Paint thinner? Tools? Any tips out there would be much appreciated.
Old July 4th, 2015, 09:57 AM
Old(s) Fart

The weatherstrip is typically only glued at the joint area. Elsewhere the two lower "lips" fit under the edges of the gutter and retain the weatherstrip. It pretty much "snaps" in. And yes, the large lip faces out. It's just like a lip seal on a rotating shaft. Finally, cut strips of newsprint and lay them over the weatherstrip while you close the trunk lid. If you can pull them out without resistance, the seal is not tight enough. You can adjust the trunklid to some extent.
Old July 4th, 2015, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by pfriesen
Checking another threat
Originally Posted by pfriesen
I meant "thread"
It's much better the first way!

You know, you can go to a message you posted previously and edit it. Note the "edit" button at the lower right of any message you've posted.
Old July 4th, 2015, 10:40 PM

That must be "advanced" chatting . Joe, I can't see my weatherstrip staying without glue. There are areas (top corners) that don't snap in at all. I'm 80% done cleaning out the old adhesive. Goo Gone and a mini flathead screwdriver seems best. And a lot of patience. No hurrying this job. Minor scratching, but I plan to sand and prime the channel to prep it for the new adhesive. 3M the best?
Old July 17th, 2015, 05:33 PM

this was a good find my 66 needs it as well
thanks
Old July 19th, 2015, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The weatherstrip is typically only glued at the joint area. Elsewhere the two lower "lips" fit under the edges of the gutter and retain the weatherstrip. It pretty much "snaps" in. And yes, the large lip faces out. It's just like a lip seal on a rotating shaft. Finally, cut strips of newsprint and lay them over the weatherstrip while you close the trunk lid. If you can pull them out without resistance, the seal is not tight enough. You can adjust the trunklid to some extent.
Joe:
Great tip for checking the weatherstrip seal.
Thanks, Ron
Old September 21st, 2017, 10:15 AM

I'm back with an update, two more frustrating years later. My wife and I got all the old gunk out of the channel, sanded the old paint off and primed and painted the channel. This was not a quick or easy process. Figured we'd do this right.

Glued down the new weatherstrip in the proper position this summer -- and still had a leak! Locking myself into the trunk, we discovered water was getting into the channel near the top, passenger side corner. There's a little groove there that lets water run into the channel, under the rubber. Long story short, we used the best clear silicone we could find and siliconed the entire weatherstrip, right where the outside edge of the rubber meets the trunk deck.

Locked myself in again, and that previous problem is solved! There's no water getting into the channel, under the rubber. But a little bit still comes in over top of the rubber, at the bottom, passenger side corner. I will try adjusting the trunk latch slightly to make a tighter fit, but it already takes quite a slam to close it.

I can live with this, if I have to. Maybe opening the trunk, pinning a rag in that area, then closing the trunk on the rag whenever I wash the car will prevent the water from actually getting in. I have yet to test it in simple rain.

Not really looking for advice anymore; just posting this for anyone else who might come across a similar problem. One piece of advice I'll offer: if your old trunk weatherstrip doesn't leak, DO NOT replace it, no matter how bad it looks.

Paul

Last edited by pfriesen; September 21st, 2017 at 10:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Old April 19th, 2021, 02:36 PM

It's me again. Another three-plus years later. Been meaning to add another update. I FINALLY got rid of the leak completely. But it took adjusting the lid latch so that it takes a MAJOR SLAM to close the trunk. Not ideal by any means. But better than allowing moisture into the trunk.

I'm still shaking my head this turned into such a production.

Cheers.

Last edited by pfriesen; April 19th, 2021 at 02:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old April 19th, 2021, 04:25 PM

Next time use Precision, it's absolutely hands down the best repro trunk weatherstrip out there. Just like Joe said, no glue except at the joint.
Old May 29th, 2021, 07:50 PM

There better not be a next time