1968 98 ignition/starter relays?

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2014, 08:34 AM

1968 98 ignition/starter relays?

Before I pull off the starter, I just want to be sure that there isn't something before the starter that I should be checking. I have power at the dash and when I turn the key I can hear power going through the system, but there is nothing coming from the starter. I thought, in a previous post that it may be a bad battery but I ruled that out and now I'm leaning more towards the starter. Since it is probably the original one. But I want to make sure there isn't something in the ignition system that can be cutting off the power from getting to the solenoid. I thought there is a relay for the starter on the fuse panel under the dash, but I very well could be wrong. I know the car has power getting to it because the wipers still work and the horn will go. So, I know it isn't the battery. Any answers on the relay question?

I'm sorry if I am using wrong terminology or am missing something altogether. I am just learning as I go. Thanks in advance!
Old November 26th, 2014, 08:41 AM
Administrator

There is no relay, however there is a neutral safety switch. You might clean your connections up at the battery and the starter.
Old November 26th, 2014, 08:58 AM

Thanks! Where is that safety switch located? And when I shift into neutral with the shifter I should be able to physically see the lever moving on the tranny right? The car isn't in great shape and I want to rule out something as simple as that.
Old November 26th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Phantom Phixer

On top of the starter is the solenoid. On the front of the solenoid there are three terminals , one large and two small. There should be battery voltage at the large terminal at all times. Have someone twist the key to the start position and check the two small terminals for voltage. If you have voltage at at least one of them, then the problem is probably in the starter. If you have no voltage , then check the neutral safety switch. If still no voltage there , then check the ignition switch .
A shop manual with a wiring diagram is very helpful in diagnosing these problems.
Old November 26th, 2014, 09:15 AM
Phantom Phixer

The neutral safety switch is located on the lower part of the steering column , under the dash. It may be combined with the backup lights switch.
Old November 26th, 2014, 02:40 PM

You can also check the starter with the old screwdriver jump test.
Turn the key on, and jump the main large terminal to the other smaller terminal. If you only get sparks, then you have power, and the starter or solenoid is bad. If you don't get a spark, or the starter does not engage, then you have a wiring issue as mentioned above. If you have power, and the jump works, the engine may turn over, so be prepared. It may also just click, which would mean multiple problems.
But start with a fresh battery, clean terminals and good cables.